Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really weird FSD behavior: Cannot engage when speed is over 28 km/h (17 mph)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue only started happening since about 2 weeks ago. But it's just so weird that it doesn't look like either software or hardward issue alone..

FSD will work fine for some time after I start the drive (time varies, between 5 - 60 min as I have observed so far), then randomly, when the issue is triggered somehow, it won't let me engage again if speed is over 28 km/h (17 mph), very consistently for the rest of the trip. The grey steering week and speed limit sign will not appear. And if I try to engage, it gives me warning that "Autosteer temporarily unavailable". It would allow me to engage FSD when speed goes lower than 28 km/h, but FSD will behave weried - when it try to make a lane change to follow route, it will turn on turn signal but won't make the actual lane change completely; it drives super slow for no reason... Basically not usable.

When the issue happens, FSD visualization was fine, and I could also engage regular Autopilot just fine by disabling FSD in the Autopilot menu.

I checked in Service Mode, the FSD cameras and sensors are all showing as in Green status. The only alerts I saw was "PM_w041_dasMIA" and "THC_w0122_condLeftShutrNoFeedbk".

I would be able to use FSD normally for sometime if I left the car parked for sometime, then the issue might come back again randomly. It's been repeating this pattern almost every day recently.

I have tried the following but no avail:
- Restart car
- Recalibrate camera (car was fine for 2 days, then bad again)
- Reinstall software in service mode
- Reset DAS in service mode (car was fine for 2 days, then bad again)
- Called Tesla support when issue happens but they couldn't notice anything as a direct cause from the logs either
- Scheduled a service appointment for Jan 19

My car is 2017 Model S, originally with HW2.5 (now with MCU 2 upgrade and HW3 upgrade), located in BC, Canada
Current FSD version: 10.69.25.1 (2022.44.30.5)
First noticed the issue in 10.69.25

Just noticed you FSD issue. I seem to experiencing the same on my 17 X. Software FSD 11.3.6 loaded about a month ago. Couple of weeks ago, gray autopilot icon was intermittent and FSD would not work. How did you check that your cameras and sensors are all working? I recalibrated the cameras but that didn't change anything. Was the SC able to fix the problem??

Just noticed you FSD issue. I seem to experiencing the same on my 17 X. Software FSD 11.3.6 loaded about a month ago. Couple of weeks ago, gray autopilot icon was intermittent and FSD would not work. How did you check that your cameras and sensors are all working? I recalibrated the cameras but that didn't change anything. Was the SC able to fix the problem??
FSDhas never worked on my S. Service queried the car and found nothing wrong. Whenever they ever get it driving for real, I’ll take the car in and let them figure it out.