Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera, Can it be kept clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On most days, I can clean the camera with a cloth as I depart from home, and on the outset of my journey I have a crystal clear rear camera image. When I get to my destination 20 minutes later, it is dirty enough I can't use it again. If I have to drive in reverse when I get there, I often wind up having to get out and clean it, or rely on my mirrors and turning my head.

Is this problem common? Surely there is a way to minimize this. It seems like a design flaw, but the only reliable fix I have thought of would be camera wipers, and that just seems more hilarious than practical. Maybe blinking camera eyelids. Or some tear ducts.

More practically, I'm imagining aero- and hydro-dynamic aids that steer dirt and water runoff away from the camera. How do they get so dirty so quickly?

Nope. This is a problem with 100% of Teslas.

I'm very much interested in a contraption that cleans it, however I think it's quite diffucult to make something that's both functional, reliable and looks ok. At least in climates where snow is your biggest RV-cam issue.

In principle, there are several places to draw power to this contraption, and plenty of space inside the liftgate to hide harnesses, motors etc

The car must be in park to open the trunk from the 17" screen.
Doh!! Next best thing must be the emergency exit button in the trunk itself, then.

Just realized I need to build some kind of ladder that the kids can extend from the seats and crawl out after buckling off their seat belts.

Or maybe there's a way to build a mechanism that slides the seats automatically all the way out, turn (180) and lay back so they get easy access to the camera with my micofiber

I called a NASCAR friend of mine and asked where they get the windshield tear-offs that they use on the race cars. You know, those that they tear-off each time the car comes to pit row instead of trying to clean the windshield glass. I then went to Office Depot and got a regular size hole puncher. I sat down and using the pack of tear-offs and hole puncher, I made 10 million miniature tear-offs for my rear camera. I usually peel the bottom sticky off the mini-tear-off and attach 30 to my rear camera each morning before I leave the garage. Now each time I pull up to a traffic light or into a parking lot, a member of my pit crew jumps out from the trunk and using a NASCAR certified and authorized pair of tweezers peels one mini-tear-off, sticks it in his pocket and jumps back in the trunk before the light turns green. It surely has made a difference for those times when I back into a parking space in the parking lot. I just can't get anyone willing to ride in the frunk to perform the mini-tear-off for my front mounted rear camera. It gets dirtier because it's facing those bugs we meet head on.

Anyone know the last thing on a bug's mind as it hits your windshield?

Last edited:
Anyone know the last thing on a bug's mind as it hits your windshield?
Only what's on certain other bugs' minds before that happens...
animal-kingdom-murder-insects-splat-whacked-mafia-33236654_low.jpg

It minimizes the problem but doesn't solve it for me. Instead of getting one big smear across the lens, I got larger defined droplets. Both of them make the camera unusable though.
Agreed, unfortunately Rain-X doesn't really solve the problem. On a rainy drive the lens still gets obscured enough to quickly make the camera view unusable. I like to keep the rear camera on all the time on the screen while driving (as supplement to rear view mirrors) plus we get lots of rain here, so this is an annoying problem

I think part of the problem is that somehow the aerodynamic shape of the MS just sucks all the water and crap behind the car - the rear of the car seems to get dirty so quIckly. Also water seems to drip directly on the lens from the chrome trim above it. I wonder if some simple shroud/shield to deflect some of the dripping water might help?