Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear deck cutout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, I covered my pass through hole with an aftermarket subwoofer (powered by the stock amp, and the stock sub is now unplugged):

freesub1-png.372146

I haven't noticed any problems with the ventilation system.

My sub-bass sounds better now.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
There needs to be some mechanism for the sub-woofer sound to escape the trunk. Curious how this works.
I'm not concerned about the subwoofer. If you've ever lived wall-to-wall to a neighbor with a beefy sound system you'll know that low sound frequencies have no trouble going through walls. My main concern is airflow. The air that is pushed into the cabin by the HVAC from the front has to have some way to escape in the back, otherwise you'll create too much backpressure and much less fresh air will be able to enter the cabin.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
Don't the vent was needed also for avoiding ruptured eardrum (perforated eardrum) in case the airbag get deflated?

According to a study in 2007, an estimated 17% of those exposed to collision-related airbag deployment will incur permanent hearing loss.

Even harmless, slow-speed bump-ups, representing little or no danger of injury to occupants, may cause airbag eruptions.
Upon investigation, up to 71 percent of front seat vehicle occupants may have some form of unilateral hearing loss due to airbag explosions.
Airbag explosions send plastic materials and chemicals hurtling toward motorists at about 200 mph,
with noise levels of 170 decibels or more.

• Informative
Reactions: T5Quad
I think my subwoofer woes have been answered by this thread. My week old P3D has the solid rear deck and when asking others why I feel like there's a real lack of bass after checking that sub/amp/EQ were all in check...this must be the issue. I'll have to drive the car with my rear seat down tonight to see if it makes a difference and I'll need to compare it with another model 3 side by side.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I think my subwoofer woes have been answered by this thread.
My week old P3D has the solid rear deck and when asking others
why I feel like there's a real lack of bass after checking that sub/amp/EQ were all in check...this must be the issue.
I'll have to drive the car with my rear seat down tonight to see if it makes a difference
and I'll need to compare it with another model 3 side by side.
You will certainly notice more road noise too.
I often put my bike on the trunk with the rear seat down, I have 19" wheels and the rumbling noise from the tires is more noticeable.

My "deck hole" now sports an aftermarket subwoofer. Seems to work great, but I had 2 concerns:

#1: Someone said the hole was there so that air-conditioner air would flow past the rear passengers to keep their heads comfy, and that there is an air-exit in the trunk. Blocking the holes could stop that airflow path.
#2: Someone said the hole was there in case of air-bags going off so that pressure could escape through the trunk. Hopefully I don't get in a crash and blow out my ear-drums because the air-bag pressure has nowhere to escape.

But I consider those rumors/speculation right now. I don't know the real answer for sure.

The fact that Tesla started blocking that hole gives me hope that it wasn't really all that useful in the first place.

Reactions: gcmak
I have 6/18 M3 with the open rear deck cutout. I had been looking for the padding insert Tesla used to fill in the rear deck cutout In later models before they closed it entirely but I did some searching on Ebay and at the SC and noticed a few things.

This is the “Insert” I had been looking for:
3E826D30-5E66-4CC3-9FAE-45555FE304AA.jpeg

Unfortunately, I realized that this was actually built into the newer rear deck shelf’s and not actually an insert that could be retrofitted into older models with the open cutout. You can see that old version with cutout here:
5F3C3FD6-631A-4072-9EDB-1AAD0D6730DD.png
E44C14A3-6A69-4B4D-96CB-253D5A8F15BF.png

And then new version with built in cover for the cutout here:
E9BEB69D-0650-417E-AC7B-B91CF610A851.png
14062D84-7F13-4570-BA56-ABA5030A84B9.png

The rear deck padding was changed to fill in where the previous cutout was. However, I was at the SC recently and noticed the latest M3 no longer has the same speaker grill on top to compensate for the cutout in the middle that you see in both versions above.

The lighting was horrible so these are bad pictures but you can see that the speaker grills are now only on the left and right and do not continue in one piece across the middle where the old cutout used to be which makes sense since they no longer have the hole anymore:
7E4849BE-E278-4788-9657-68260F641D10.jpeg
7F98089C-5DB1-438A-965B-EA032ED33529.jpeg

just wanted to share my findings if you had been searching for a rear deck insert in vain like me :(

I have 6/18 M3 with the open rear deck cutout. I had been looking for the padding insert Tesla used to fill in the rear deck cutout In later models before they closed it entirely but I did some searching on Ebay and at the SC and noticed a few things.

This is the “Insert” I had been looking for: View attachment 536515

Unfortunately, I realized that this was actually built into the newer rear deck shelf’s and not actually an insert that could be retrofitted into older models with the open cutout. You can see that old version with cutout here:View attachment 536517 View attachment 536518
And then new version with built in cover for the cutout here:
View attachment 536519 View attachment 536520
The rear deck padding was changed to fill in where the previous cutout was. However, I was at the SC recently and noticed the latest M3 no longer has the same speaker grill on top to compensate for the cutout in the middle that you see in both versions above.

The lighting was horrible so these are bad pictures but you can see that the speaker grills are now only on the left and right and do not continue in one piece across the middle where the old cutout used to be which makes sense since they no longer have the hole anymore: View attachment 536525View attachment 536526

just wanted to share my findings if you had been searching for a rear deck insert in vain like me :(
Is this basically what you're looking for? Obviously covers more than just the cutout... https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Deadening-Soundproof-Protective-Insulation/dp/B081PXTLNZ
Pretty neat discoveries though. My July 2019 has the solid rear-deck but the interior trim piece that's in the cabin still looks like the old design. Perhaps the 2020 is that new design since they've changed a bunch of other things too.

Yea I actually have that mat already but want to add some proper soundproofing underneath to the cutout. To be honest, I don’t think this mat does anything to the noise but I bought it to protect against any sharp edges In the bare metal and it looks a lot more finished now.

I’ll be adding sound deadening to the bare metal to further improve the noise so this mat is useful in that it will also cover that.

Reactions: gcmak
Bumping a very old thread.. but I share the sentiment of others here that the sub-bass is lacking. Heard it in a 2018 model with the vent and it was much more pronounced. Sub-bass can travel but when the car is moving it is hard to hear.

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to make the bass more pronounced, without having to drill a hole into their car.

Bumping a very old thread.. but I share the sentiment of others here that the sub-bass is lacking. Heard it in a 2018 model with the vent and it was much more pronounced. Sub-bass can travel but when the car is moving it is hard to hear.

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to make the bass more pronounced, without having to drill a hole into their car.
I remember an old thread where someone installed a 5" 1/2 subwoofer below the central rear passengers air vent, just under the two rear USB plugs.

You might find some good tips from this thread (27 pages):

Thank you, but I’ve already added a subwoofer in the OEM location. I am looking to see if I can get a way for the bass to better spread throughout the car, kinda like the vent that the older model year Model 3s have. I notice that with my seats down, the bass from the sub is a lot more pronounced.