Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defrost strips falling off window after 17 mos. Tesla wants $820.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for letting me know and thanks also for the disagrees!

Feel free to repost my update there.
I just gave you an “agree” so the disagree should cancel out:). I mean, seriously why would anyone say “fake news” (unless they’re a Trumpster). I think your post was fine. You were concerned, and rightly so, about having an item covered under warranty. You stated the facts and even the screenshots show that if it’s covered under warranty then the cost will be zero. Good to hear that it’s all taken care of, or will be soon.

Satisfied customer! $0.

0CC7CDD4-D341-4E93-9A81-A3759CF31FC9.jpeg

So perhaps the language on the app needs updating. Really excellent COVID-respectful policies as well.

This has become normal practice for most all automotive service centers. Not just Tesla.

They let customer know what the charges would be if the warranty does not cover the issue.

Until service center can take a look at the problem, they have no certaintly that warranty will cover it.
This would be fine if they said this. They don't. They make it look like it will cost you this amount. There is no fine print or disclaimer saying something like "If the issue was found as a warranty defect, the fee is waived". It's EXTREMELY misleading and I doubt all others providing an upfront estimate leave this out too.

This would be fine if they said this. They don't. They make it look like it will cost you this amount. There is no fine print or disclaimer saying something like "If the issue was found as a warranty defect, the fee is waived". It's EXTREMELY misleading and I doubt all others providing an upfront estimate leave this out too.

Isn't that EXACTLY what this says in the estimate itself, posted upthread?

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 1.43.07 PM.png

Two things come to mind.

The first is an obvious question: did you pick at it? Did one of your passengers? Do you often scratch yourself to bleeding? Do you squeeze all pimples and mosquito bites? Not accusin', just askin'

The second is this business about customer reporting "Read defrost..." as shown in your screenshot of the App. Maybe the Read Defrost is different from the Rear Defrost. Just sayin'

I would expect matters to be resolved in your favor anyway. Pushing the Accept button is probably a safe move.

Ah, I see it was. See?

Did Tesla ask you to the pay the $820?
No.

Did a real human being that works at Tesla give you that estimate?
No.

You are spreading fake news, and congratulations, your post is now trending on Reddit and will be picked up soon by anti-Tesla websites with the headline:
Rear defrost strips falling off window after 17 mos. Tesla wants $820.

---

No one wants $820. It will be covered under warranty. The app just automatically shows an estimate of repair costs. Warranty determines who will pay it. In this case, Tesla will pay the $820.

Trending on that subReddit is not a problem at all. So many people added the correct info and demolished the anti-Tesla sentiment there, it is already pissing off their various echo chamber moderators - which is awesome! This window issue is an exceedingly rare one. One guy even rightly showed this happens on EVERY car and absolutely destroyed the idiots on that post handily - even posting products to fix it that have existed before Tesla, proving there was already a market for fixing it (especially on Mercedes). And the great news is that if this is all the circle jerkers on subReddits have left, we know we have already won. The mods there are already getting pissed by "all these Tesla F*cks" showing up and injecting all their facts and real data into their fantasy bubble. r/RealTesla are a bunch of moronic clowns, so don't worry about it. They are in this very thread right now, so lets make sure we keep everything fact-based so they can run into a wall with it like they always do ;).

We should always be fair with Tesla. If they screw up, hold them accountable - they will grow to be a better company for it. If they do well, make sure they get their props, as It goes both ways. The beauty of the situation on the various anti-Tesla Reddit posts, is these mental lightweights don't really have anything but whining over nothing left. they are fighting uphill and are intrinsically threatened by Tesla and all the cool kids.

They set themselves and their arguments up to be catastrophically crushed once the adults come in with actual data, and its easy to smash emotional idiots who have nothing to stand on, standing around milking each other. And who knows, they may not even be wrong 100% of the time. Just take every article in a vacuum, and provide the correct facts and there is no issue.

Isn't that EXACTLY what this says in the estimate itself, posted upthread?

View attachment 562473
No, that is not what is stated in the email you get or on the PRINTED quote that you sign. The app is only one avenue, not all avenues state this. The app isn't a legally binding document. You do not sign the app.
It shouldn't be this trivial.

Attachments

• TeslaQuote.png
    TeslaQuote.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: spectrum
I think this is just bad design of their internal ERP software. It is definitely not a rocket science to only request pre-approval for something Tesla expects not to be covered under warranty, as opposed to pre-approving the total cost (even if paid by Tesla at the end). Given that most people ignore this anyway (as recommended by many on the forum, including in this thread above), this pre-approval serves no purpose but certainly creates bad impression for new car owners. They should just re-design the whole thing, and do not ask for ANY approval if they expect it to be covered under warranty.

I think this is just bad design of their internal ERP software. It is definitely not a rocket science to only request pre-approval for something Tesla expects not to be covered under warranty, as opposed to pre-approving the total cost (even if paid by Tesla at the end). Given that most people ignore this anyway (as recommended by many on the forum, including in this thread above), this pre-approval serves no purpose but certainly creates bad impression for new car owners. They should just re-design the whole thing, and do not ask for ANY approval if they expect it to be covered under warranty.
Subaru has asked for approval to perform warranty work prior to performing said work.

Here in California by law they have to give you an estimate before any repair starts. Seems like Tesla has just automated this process when their systems can detect what you are requesting. (which seem very Tesla-isk). And you have to approve the work before they can even dig very far into the car to find out the depth of the problem so the estimate is often high, so the shop knows they can at least make some of their costs back.

• Disagree
Reactions: Veezer
Here in California by law they have to give you an estimate before any repair starts. Seems like Tesla has just automated this process when their systems can detect what you are requesting. (which seem very Tesla-isk). And you have to approve the work before they can even dig very far into the car to find out the depth of the problem so the estimate is often high, so the shop knows they can at least make some of their costs back.

In that case they shoulf estimate it as $0, if they expect it to be covered under warranty.

Reactions: cwerdna and 0ptions
They can always say this later and discuss. This is bad automation, such things require person-to-person interaction to discuss why something is not covered, and only then proceed.

The issue they cannot legally "discuss it later". Back in the day, there were cases where a mechanic took someone car in. Took it apart to see what the problem was.. And then when the estimate came out very high and the customer did not want to pay, the shop held the customer's car hostage to get a running car back. So laws were created that requiring a preliminary estimate at the time the car was taken into the shop.

And while Tesla may automate the estimation process, it must be done. Tesla does not do person-to-person interactions with service writers, so the app is how the do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt