Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

• Yes, I have paint chips in the lower corners of my rear doors

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No paint chips

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
redesigned MY has front mud flaps

2015_Honda_HR-V_VTi_wagon_%282018-09-28%29_01.jpg

I can report now after 4000+ additional miles since my first post, much of that highway speed, and also coastal areas with sandy roads, my fabricated front mudflaps based on the hard plastic M3 version, plus my Xpel rocker panel PPF on the lower rear portion of my rear doors, I have zero chips at all. My black plastic rockers have no rash at all, either. I also noticed that I hear less debris being pulled up into the tire wells once I switched to Vredestein Quatrac Pros, too.

no road rash, actually you have owners wondering why their car came with protective film in that area (which is a better problem than our thread here): Rear Door Defect?

Oh nice, I couldn't see film there in the picture. I have another car that has factory film in front of the back wheels in a (theoretically) high scratch & chip prone area.

Its definitely a bit of a pro/con situation, tbh. It doesn't get scratches there, but the film breaks down and gets a bit scuffed and faded looking over time. Removing it is unlikely to show pristine paint underneath, though, as they are prone to damaging the finish a bit.

Amazing how clear it is. I would say the rear-most section should extend up the arch flare. When I was feeling the texture being created from road grit it extended about 12"-14" ahead of the wheel arch trim above the rocker, another 12"-14" above the rocker along the wheel arch flare, but zero issues along the door bottom ahead of this area to the front, just some dirt.

Odd that people in different locations are experiencing different issues. I would think PUP would have more issues than non-PUP due to tire stickiness and offset, but reports are coming in from PUP and non-PUP saying they either do or do not have this issue. Anyway, so far, so good for my fix. Winter will reveal all with all the sticky grit flying everywhere.

I am also having the issue with chips on the back door. I have just over 1,000 miles on my MY and it looks like someone speckled paint all over the rear doors right in front of the rear wheels. This happened on both sides, basically identical. This is honestly a design flaw and Tesla needs to step up, recognize it, and correct it.

PXL_20210322_193301948.jpg
Noticed this after washing for the first time. :( Took a ~2500 mile road trip a week after delivery. Less than 3k on the car. EV mudflaps were installed on delivery day. Really upsetting because the Tesla PPF didn't come in time to install before the trip. Mudflaps didn't help.

View attachment 647550Noticed this after washing for the first time. :( Took a ~2500 mile road trip a week after delivery. Less than 3k on the car. EV mudflaps were installed on delivery day. Really upsetting because the Tesla PPF didn't come in time to install before the trip. Mudflaps didn't help.
Wow, that is insanely bad. I had debated for a while about adding mudflaps to my M3 but decided against it because lots of them scratched the paint. I have no (noticeable) damage on my rockers despite doing tons of trips on forest roads, up the mountains for skiing, etc.

I was already planning to get PPF for the MY but I'm surprised at how much damage you have, even with mud flaps. It seems like the OEM mud flaps are designed the way they are because it needs to protrude out further to actually protect the rockers, unlike lots of the aftermarket options.

Have you tried using a clay bar on the area just to see if any of that damage is embedded and might come out? It doesn't look like it but I'm surprised at how bad that looks.

Reactions: Bryzice
Wow, that is insanely bad. I had debated for a while about adding mudflaps to my M3 but decided against it because lots of them scratched the paint. I have no (noticeable) damage on my rockers despite doing tons of trips on forest roads, up the mountains for skiing, etc.

I was already planning to get PPF for the MY but I'm surprised at how much damage you have, even with mud flaps. It seems like the OEM mud flaps are designed the way they are because it needs to protrude out further to actually protect the rockers, unlike lots of the aftermarket options.

Have you tried using a clay bar on the area just to see if any of that damage is embedded and might come out? It doesn't look like it but I'm surprised at how bad that looks.
It's all paint chips down to what I'm assuming is the primer. The EV mudflaps appear to be a good design. Less than 2.5" of ground clearance and they stick out pretty far. The rear will scrape on the shorter parking curbs when you back up to some superchargers. Maybe the flaps just go flaccid in the wind at highway speeds?

Attachments

• PXL_20210324_225924217.jpg
    PXL_20210324_225924217.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20210324_230206690.jpg
    PXL_20210324_230206690.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 143