Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended @ 70+ mph in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear-ended at a red light by someone going about 45 mph in my new Model 3 Dual Motor(only 1600 miles). Thought it was going to be totalled but they are fixing everything. It has taken about 3 months... Can't tell you the total cost but I believe it was close to 30k.View attachment 401754

Ouch, 1600 miles...

Did you have any air leaks or doors sticking? The doors sticking and clunking without any visible damages tell me that the frame rail she hit almost dead on has pushed everything forward slightly.

Ouch, 1600 miles...

Did you have any air leaks or doors sticking? The doors sticking and clunking without any visible damages tell me that the frame rail she hit almost dead on has pushed everything forward slightly.
I know there was frame damage that they were able to fix and the trunk wasn't opening ideally. The battery looked to be puncture as it was leaking all over the road. Not positive on all the damages yet as I am set to pick it up this coming Friday. I can update after I talk to the shop.

Sorry about your Model S. I'm an insurance adjuster for auto damage; looks like a relatively minor hit tbh. Bumper and rear undercover replacement, likely some rear body denting underneath the bumper, sizeable repairable dent on the quarter, touch up the liftgate, tail light probably cracked. Frame pull on the left rear should resolve your door gapping issue. Will be good as new after repair.

Simlar thing happened to me. $16,000 of damage. Took a little over a week in the shop to fix.

The only reason it cost so much is besides the rear bumper, lift gate, and quarter panel, also got both doors as he bounced off and past me, and pinballed between my car and the guardrail.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: whitex
8 cameras and the car didn't speed up to lessen or avoid the impact. It's what a human would have done.
You are drinking too much of Elon's coolaid. Elon said the cars have sensors which are FSD capable , just like my P85D has 691hp capable motors, of course limited by battery and the rest of the drivetrain to 463hp (which took Tesla a couple of years to admit, while dancing around how EV horsepower is special, different). All of FSD cars are parts on them which are FSD capable, and they will remain forever capable and never doing even half of what he promised. My AP1 car was also supposed to find me anywhere on private property, while all it does and will ever do is drive up to 40 ft in a straight line while I hold a dead-man-switch making sure the car doesn't hit something. Welcome to Elon world - he sells a lot of vaporware which never materializes.

Last night I was rear-ended by a HOV Lane Cheater. She hit me at over 70mph.

I was traveling at 58 mph, and then slowed to 43 before impact. As you can see in the video she came in HOT, and didn't even attempt to break, we estimated her speed to be in excess of 70mph. The only positive note to this is that I suffered minor injuries mostly minor whiplash and some arm muscle pains. Doctors say 2-4 days to get back to life in full.

Damages:
Frame Damage - Rear frame is coming out of the back bumper, she hit that and what caused her to cue-ball off me.
Quarter Panel has great big dent and creases.
Lift Gate is Bent
Rear Bumper is destroyed
Both Drivers side doors stick and creak now when opening and closing.
Diags report an air leak in the suspension and camera issues.
Door lines are no longer straight and even.
Lift Gate lines are no longer straight and even
The entire left side is pushed forward some causing the lines on body panels to be misaligned.
Has vibration and pulls to left while driving.

This does not include the damage that is hiding underneath. I have no idea what's there.

My general thoughts have me thinking it's totaled as repairs would be many months, and it would never be the same.

View attachment 401749
View attachment 401750
View attachment 401751
View attachment 401752
View attachment 401753

I was traveling at 58 mph, and then slowed to 43 before impact. As you can see in the video she came in HOT, and didn't even attempt to break, we estimated her speed to be in excess of 70mph. The only positive note to this is that I suffered minor injuries mostly minor whiplash and some arm muscle pains. Doctors say 2-4 days to get back to life in full.

Damages:
Frame Damage - Rear frame is coming out of the back bumper, she hit that and what caused her to cue-ball off me.
Lift Gate is Bent
Rear Bumper is destroyed
The entire left side is pushed forward some causing the lines on body panels to be misaligned.

This does not include the damage that is hiding underneath. I have no idea what's there.

My general thoughts have me thinking it's totaled as repairs would be many months, and it would never be the same.

View attachment 401749
View attachment 401750
View attachment 401751
View attachment 401752
View attachment 401753
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident it but glad to you are OK. I didn't realize that the dash Cam could capture of the back of the vehicle. Was this captured on your dash Cam? I have a Tesla S and a - Cam and I'veThank you very much. God-bless you and may you have a speedy resolution.

Damages:
Lift Gate is Bent
Rear Bumper is destroyed

View attachment 401749
View attachment 401750
View attachment 401751
View attachment 401752
View attachment 401753
I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you are OK. I own a 2018 Tesla S with a dashcam installed and I didn't realize that it would capture a rear end collision. Was this captured on your dash Cam? Thank you very much. I hope and pray that you will have a speedy resolution in your favor. God-bless you and yours.

It varies by insurance company, vehicle specifics and other factors, but generally damage repair that accounts for 40~45% of the car’s total value usually equals totaling it. However, they will often try and fix it if they can on more expensive cars or newer cars. It makes little sense for them to do so at times, but I think the insurance industry and body shops are stuck in the old days and there is a disconnect with Teslas and a lot of newer tech on the market. I’m expecting Tesla’s insurance product they’re rolling out to be quite different. We’re going to see heavy focus on reclamation and recycling, meaning more totaled vehicles and much, much less money spent (wasted?) on exorbitant repairs that ultimately still leave vehicle safety questionable and values compromised. They’ll also need to roll out their own insurance to get the robo taxi service going. No one else is going to underwrite that until safety and viability is proven.

Speaking from my own accident experience and recently having a car rear-ended (Ford Explorer), I have to agree with many of the points brought up in this thread. Definitely file for a diminished value claim if the car is repaired and it may be applicable as well if they total it and you receive enough to replace it with the same. In the case of our Explorer, it took almost 60 days for full repairs totaling nearly $19K on a 2 year old vehicle valued at nearly $40K at the time. They wouldn’t total the vehicle even though a loaner car was provided for the entire time and I was already hitting them with a diminished value claim. After the repair, the car wasn’t right. It had a slight shimmy or wobble at about 20mph that at first they tried to tell me I was imagining, my wife thought I was imagining it too. But then the guys at the body shop could notice it and could even see it with the car on a dyno. Definitely something was off with the tracking at that speed when attempting and re-attempting an alignment. A real head scratcher, but the final theory was a drivetrain issue or specifically driveline and associated linkage may have a slight bend or compression damage from the crash impact. If they had found this in the beginning the car would have been totaled. There were also intermittent electrical issues and error messages from the car and acceleration was way off... The other driver’s insurance (eSurance / AllState) ultimately told us there was nothing else they were willing to do. Our insurance company was helpful, but also didn’t know what else to do. We sold the car to CarMax and settled on a DV amount from the insurance to go along with it. Lots of wasted time and money all around and I think the only party to come out better from the ordeal was the body shop. After the DV amount added to the sale amount, we were OK with the financial outcome. But unhappy it took nearly 3 months from the day of the accident to get to that point.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Really? Less than 30k damage on a 50k+ car? Why would anyone total that?

State law can dictate at what value to allow a total; for Texas (my location) you must reach 100% of the car's market value in sum of repairs/rentals/DV to allow for a total, but when researching after my 85D's accident I remember seeing some states that allowed for 50-75%.

I was rear-ended at a red light by someone going about 45 mph in my new Model 3 Dual Motor(only 1600 miles). Thought it was going to be totalled but they are fixing everything. It has taken about 3 months... Can't tell you the total cost but I believe it was close to 30k.View attachment 401754
What insurance did they have, who repaired it, and did you get a rental? Curious about the breakdown of the costs and what the insurance offered to pay originally before the bodyshop dismantled it and did an assessment?

Simlar thing happened to me. $16,000 of damage. Took a little over a week in the shop to fix.

The only reason it cost so much is besides the rear bumper, lift gate, and quarter panel, also got both doors as he bounced off and past me, and pinballed between my car and the guardrail.

What the heck? What was this driver doing? smoking fat rocks of crack while texting?

Reactions: juliusa