Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended - repair advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rear ended the other day. She said her brakes went out and she was going 20 mph. I had my windows down and didn't hear any brake screeching for sure. I was at a stop sign while a jogger ran through the crosswalk in front of me, so I didn't see her coming. Pics below. I've put arrows to point out the damage. You can clearly make out the license plate frame and screws that punctured the bumper. It was offset hit to the right, but there is a buckled crease in the middle of the bumper too, which makes me wonder if there is unseen damage underneath. I've started a claim with her insurance and filed a police report (the next day - wasn't thinking straight when it happened and we were blocking traffic so we moved to a parking lot to examine and trade info). My Tesla SC is an hour away so how do I go about getting estimate with as little of my time spent? Or can I safely go to a local shop? Of course there was no apparent damage to her car (Honda civic) so I'm the one completely inconvenienced, and insurance won't pay for my time. rear_damage1.jpgrear_damage2.jpgrear_damage3.jpgrear_damage4.jpgrear_damage5.jpg

I was recently rear ended by someone going about 10 miles an hour. The insurance company had me do a remote estimate by taking pictures. I believe it is standard practice that the estimate will change once they start the repair and if they find hidden damage. I had the repair performed at a Tesla body shop and once they got the bumper cover off some of the aluminum bracket underneath were bent as well So Tesla contacted the insurance company and they worked it all out. I believe the total repair ended up being $2600.

I don't know why you say "wasn't thinking straight" as it seems you did everything you should have done: gone somewhere safe, traded info, filed a report etc. Not sure what else you could have done. There's no way you could see damage under the bumper skin without taking it off

Interesting that you have the car in the booth unmasked. Also, what's the plan with the rear molding, are you planning to paint it on the car?
I actually masked the molding. It was on its way to break trying to remove it so i figured i’d just leave it.

painted the rear diffusor also and the lower plastics around the car

Attachments

• 02A7DC6F-A15B-45BD-9E8C-043371358321.jpeg
    02A7DC6F-A15B-45BD-9E8C-043371358321.jpeg
    521.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 9139E4E9-121E-42AC-88C3-9A9C9F093A1A.jpeg
    9139E4E9-121E-42AC-88C3-9A9C9F093A1A.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: blodg1