Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**************** Update ***************

The Insurance company of the person that hit me has officially admitted 100% fault.

BTW- assuming they put you in a rental car, you should be keeping all your receipts for the gas you put it in and asking for their insurance company to pay for that too.

(If you want to be really nice you can also provide them your electricity rate and deduct from what they owe the equivalent amount of "ev fuel" you'd otherwise have spent if not deprived use of your car by their customer- if you don't want to be nice then tell them 'my car has free supercharging, so my fuel is free on the EV" and ask for the full amount you spent on the gas)

BTW- assuming they put you in a rental car, you should be keeping all your receipts for the gas you put it in and asking for their insurance company to pay for that too.

(If you want to be really nice you can also provide them your electricity rate and deduct from what they owe the equivalent amount of "ev fuel" you'd otherwise have spent if not deprived use of your car by their customer- if you don't want to be nice then tell them 'my car has free supercharging, so my fuel is free on the EV" and ask for the full amount you spent on the gas)

Nice....I'm going to do just that.

Reactions: neroden

I called the Tesla Owned Body Shop in both Elk Grove Il.
2201 Arthur Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
(630) 359-2193

As well as the body shop in O'Hare to see if my car would be better served at either location.

BOTH body shops said that they are so busy that they won't be able to even evaluate any kind of repairs on my car until AUGUST.

Did you guys hear me? They said AUGUST before they can even look at it.

I provided the phone number above if you don't believe me. Call them..... they'll tell ya.
That's HORRIBLE.

I'm going to keep my car where it is for right now.

I just received a call from the independent assessor of the person who hit me ( lets call her "guilty" from here going forward ) insurance company saying that they will be evaluating damage for the claim in 24 to 48 hours.

So....it really wasn't true that they will be doing the evaluation this week like Guilty's insurance company said . That's step one of something not being true in this process.

I'll keep everyone informed.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and neroden

2201 Arthur Ave
(630) 359-2193

As well as the body shop in O'Hare to see if my car would be better served at either location.

BOTH body shops said that they are so busy that they won't be able to even evaluate any kind of repairs on my car until AUGUST.

I provided the phone number above if you don't believe me. Call them..... they'll tell ya.
That's HORRIBLE.

I just received a call from the independent assessor of the person who hit me ( lets call her "guilty" from here going forward ) insurance company saying that they will be evaluating damage for the claim in 24 to 48 hours.

So....it really wasn't true that they will be doing the evaluation this week like Guilty's insurance company said . That's step one of something not being true in this process.

WOW. I’m sorry about that. I guess ohare got super packed after my car was brought in. Like I said my turn around time is really quick. Out for about a month and half. Good luck!

2201 Arthur Ave
(630) 359-2193

That's HORRIBLE.

Ya Tesla needs to fix this issue... We've been hearing the fix is coming for years; unfortunately, it looks like little has changed in regards to the parts issue. Was in 2 accidents and also had 3-month repairs -- it's ridiculous. Looks like its getting worse -- considering your car is supposed to be much easier to repair compared to the model S. I wonder how long Model S repairs now take.

• Informative
This all echoes my biggest concern with my car, service and repairs. Most of us will never need to visit a body shop, but what if there were some recall or other repair that requires a) a replacement part, b) a large number of cars to have service, or worse c) all of the above.

It's great that Tesla is selling more and more cars, but they don't seem to be scaling what is needed outside the factory to support them once sold. Given that each day there are more Tesla's on the road this is something they really should address.

Ya Tesla needs to fix this issue... We've been hearing the fix is coming for years; unfortunately, it looks like little has changed in regards to the parts issue. Was in 2 accidents and also had 3-month repairs -- it's ridiculous. Looks like its getting worse -- considering your car is supposed to be much easier to repair compared to the model S. I wonder how long Model S repairs now take.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem with parts is.

Is it that they can't send parts out?
Is it that they can't produce the parts?
Is it mailing the parts?
Is it a 3'rd party vendor problem?

What in the world is the problem?

• Love
  • Disagree
This all echoes my biggest concern with my car, service and repairs. Most of us will never need to visit a body shop, but what if there were some recall or other repair that requires a) a replacement part, b) a large number of cars to have service, or worse c) all of the above.

It's great that Tesla is selling more and more cars, but they don't seem to be scaling what is needed outside the factory to support them once sold. Given that each day there are more Tesla's on the road this is something they really should address.

Indeed....every day its going to automatically get worse and worse and worse as more cars are out on the road across the planet.
AND there is nothing us users can do about it.

I'm even thinking that I'm going to be as nervous as I don't know what when I get my car back....concerning being hit again.

• Love
  • Disagree
My new Model 3 was hit by a passing truck pulling a travel trailer, a few days after delivery. I posted the saga, which ended out taking from September 2018 until March 2019. Tesla parts were almost all the delay, and came very close to making me decide to dump my car and my TSLA shares and go elsewhere. In the end I'm glad I did not.

There was major damage to the entire left side of the car which made every left side body panel, front bumper and two wheels replaced.
In the end the chassis alignment and even wheel alignment stayed within factory new specifications. Two wheels and tires had to be replaced but the wheel alignment stayed perfect!

My insurance company was spectacular. They followed up and even volunteered to process a diminished value claim, which was paid just a few weeks ago. They even paid for replacement of my body wrap. The body shop was very competent also. Now I'll probably never leave Progressive and if I am so unfortunate as to need a body shop again I'll certainly return to Countach.

Once all of this was over my car has been just like new. The simple fact is that the Model 3 is very well designed and is incredibly sturdy, but if Tesla does not repair all the astonishingly poor service and support they'll suffer, as will customers and investors. Perhaps oddly, I am optimistic.

Garlan, brace yourself. After it all sis over all will probably be well, but you're facing a Job-like test. I hope you have a much shorter experience than did I.

The culprit in my case had his Quebec license revoked due to his bad luck that a policeman documented his entire fiasco. That might be the only bright light about the event itself.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem with parts is.

Is it that they can't send parts out?
Is it that they can't produce the parts?
Is it mailing the parts?
Is it a 3'rd party vendor problem?

What in the world is the problem?

I'm willing to bet there are more problems then I can identify. However, the big issues I saw both times (2016/2018) were:
1. Limited or no availability of parts, I believe they are made in batches to save money rather than stocked
2. Poor tracking of what parts are available
3. Poor communication between parts and shipping department
4. Parts were shipped with no tracking numbers -- guess to save money or maybe had something to do with #5 (as this was hard to believe)
5. I was told parts were shipped in big boxes for multiple customers with no invoices and no other company does this
6. Parts some times came damaged (possibly related to #5) - start the order process again
7. Wrong parts were sent, as many revisions exist (likely more of a problem with older cars). You then start the process of waiting all over again
8. Only Tesla certified techs could do the tear down/estimate and guessing repairs (caused additional delays)
9. Once near the end of completion, the car had to go back to Tesla -- which already is service constrained
10. The first time I had a really shady body shop and horrible experience in of its self -- which was part of the problem (but looks like they are no longer Tesla certified)

This all echoes my biggest concern with my car, service and repairs..

There were a lot of discussions on this mid-late last year when it was obvious Tesla didn't have enough locations to handle just DELIVERY of cars in a timely and organized fashion, let alone repairing them.

I and many others predicted that after they worked through Delivery Hell (which is STILL not entirely fixed, see last Q and Europe for example) it'd be time for Service Hell.

Elon Musk said:
Yeah, that’s our problem. Service & parts supply in general will be the top Tesla priority after we get through the insane car delivery logistics of the next few weeks.

The October 17, 2018 he tweeted

Elon Musk said:
Just reviewed Tesla’s service locations in North America & realized we have major gaps in geographic coverage! Sorry for this foolish oversight. Tesla will aim to cover all regions of NA (not just big cities) within 3 to 6 month

Oops! Our 50 billion dollar company just noticed months into our massive product rollout we forgot to build nearly enough service centers!

Mind you- 3 months after that tweet Tesla had opened...0 new US service centers.

Elon Musk said Tesla would fill its North American service gaps in three to six months. Three months later, not a single US service center has opened.

Still- Musk continues to insist they're "focused" on fixing service-

Tesla & Elon Musk's #1 Priority For 1st Quarter Is Improving Service | CleanTechnica

saying fixing service was the #1 priority for Q1 2019.

Physical locations are expensive though. (see their initial try at just closing down all the stores)

• Love
I just got back from Tesla's Elk Grove's body shop. It was kinda far, but I wanted to see for myself what's going on over there.

It was amazing. There was a sea of Tesla's all waiting for repair. No wonder they can't look at any cars coming in today until August. It was private property so I wasn't able to take a pic or a video.

A lady was crying because of how long her car would be there.

It was horrible. I never want to go back there again.

I think that place ( and others like it ) should turn people away to other Certified Tesla repair body shops in the area. That would be respectful as there are quite a few. For goodness sake, there are definitely more cars coming in to that place than leaving.

Elon should visit there. I believe he would really do something about all of this. There is no one with any decency that would leave that place and not do anything at all about it - if they could.

I just wanted to give that woman a hug and try and console her but I didn't...……..

I just emailed Elon himself about this...which is one of the few things I can do....not that he is ever going to read it......

Geez...... people of TMC....what can we do?

Last edited:
I just got back from Tesla's Elk Grove's body shop. It was kinda far, but I wanted to see for myself what's going on over there.

It was amazing. There was a sea of Tesla's all waiting for repair. No wonder they can't look at any cars coming in today until August. It was private property so I wasn't able to take a pic or a video.

I think that place ( and others like it ) should turn people away to other Certified Tesla repair body shops in the area. That would be respectful as there are quite a few. For goodness sake, there are definitely more cars coming in to that place than leaving.

Elon should visit there. I believe he would really do something about all of this. There is no one with any decency that would leave that place and not do anything at all about it - if they could.

I just wanted to give that woman a hug and try and console her but I didn't...……..

I just emailed Elon himself about this...which is one of the few things I can do....not that he is ever going to read it......

I have an appointment with them to fix my headliner as it was damaged when the car was delivered. I am scared to take my car there now.

• Informative

Well, one thing TMC people can do is not label anyone that tries to point out Tesla flaws as a FUDster. Tesla has insane issues, and I've been on the receiving end of some terrible service experiences. But hey, when you have people on this forum telling you "there will always be horror stories you FUDster", as a response to your critique, you kind of tend to just give up and look elsewhere.

Everyone,

I was rear ended today. One lady not paying attention causing tremendous grief and sadness.

Car is inoperable. ( It said it on the screen ).

It was towed to a Tesla suggest repair place. Got there and there were many Tesla's there.

Body shop was top of the line, however they told me that many Tesla's there were on their 3rd to 4th month of sitting there because there are so few Tesla parts available.

I absolutely LOVE Tesla, but I can't recommend them in my current state.

I reached out to Tesla and was told by the rep. AND I QUOTE. " We have no customer facing team at the moment that can give you any information on the availability of parts".

That was it.

….Oh well. I suppose I just have to keep paying my car note.
I had similar thing happen to me. Un-insured motorist plowed into my Model 3. Repair center advised me 4 to 5 months. Fortunately The $49,775.75 estimate made for a TOTAL LOSS. I can happily say I already have my 2019 replacement model 3

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and neroden
Elon should visit there. I believe he would really do something about all of this.

Read my post above yours.

Elon is aware service is a huge failure right now, and has been going back quite a while.

He's promised to fix it for quite a while too, and hasn't.

He's promised a ton more service centers and not built em... he's promised Tesla doing a ton more of their own bodywork and that hasn't happened... he's promised "fixing" the parts shortages and hasn't.

Doing so costs a ton of $ they don't seem willing or able to spend right now.