Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was backing out of a spot at a hospital a month ago and paused because I saw a pedestrian in the side mirror who was behind me. A woman backing out from the other side of the row very nearly hit me. I just happened to look over my shoulder and saw her tail light coming for the driver side A pillar and I immediately got on my horn. Then she looked like I was the one that was causing a problem. :rolleyes:

I can tell you that my #1 concern with this was not that my car would have needed an expensive and time consuming repair (should would have wiped out two doors at the angle she was coming) it was that my car would sit in a shop waiting on parts for possibly months.

Since then I have amped up my parking paranoia even further.

Insurance should cover it, they will just depreciate the option like they do every other option like upgraded wheels or paint.

Depends on how he bought it. My Moroney sticker lists both EAP and FSD for my car because I configured it that way. Even if he ordered it after delivery, all you have to do is provide insurance the invoice and they will add it to their calculations. I did that with a few upgrades I did after delivery on my S like 21” wheels and the center console.

I ordered it - All options upon original purchase.

When I say inoperable - it only said inoperable because there is a 12V issue. I was able to get the car into tow mode just fine - the brakes released and everything. No damage beyond the trunk.
yeah but FUSC and Premium Connectivity don’t show up.

Everyone,

I was rear ended today. One lady not paying attention causing tremendous grief and sadness.

Car is inoperable. ( It said it on the screen ).

It was towed to a Tesla suggest repair place. Got there and there were many Tesla's there.

Body shop was top of the line, however they told me that many Tesla's there were on their 3rd to 4th month of sitting there because there are so few Tesla parts available.

I absolutely LOVE Tesla, but I can't recommend them in my current state.

I reached out to Tesla and was told by the rep. AND I QUOTE. " We have no customer facing team at the moment that can give you any information on the availability of parts".

That was it.

….Oh well. I suppose I just have to keep paying my car note.
That was one of the Tesla Nasties!

Reactions: Petrocelli
Everyone,

I was rear ended today. One lady not paying attention causing tremendous grief and sadness.

Car is inoperable. ( It said it on the screen ).

It was towed to a Tesla suggest repair place. Got there and there were many Tesla's there.

Body shop was top of the line, however they told me that many Tesla's there were on their 3rd to 4th month of sitting there because there are so few Tesla parts available.

I absolutely LOVE Tesla, but I can't recommend them in my current state.

I reached out to Tesla and was told by the rep. AND I QUOTE. " We have no customer facing team at the moment that can give you any information on the availability of parts".

That was it.

….Oh well. I suppose I just have to keep paying my car note.

Same thing happened to my Subaru

In a perfect world, the insurance company would say if the damage estimate is X dollars or more, and the manufacturer can't get parts to the customer within Y months (where Y is a low single-digit number), then the car's considered totaled.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you got rear-ended. The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for parts :(

I would highly suggest that if you don't have one already, to buy a dash cam which you can attach to the rear window as the Tesla dash cams and Sentry mode do not record video with the rear camera and the left and/or right repeaters often get corrupted video. I have a small dash cam attached to my rear window with video of the accident and when I pointed it out to the other party, they and their insurance company had no choice but to accept fault.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
**************** Update ***************

The Insurance company of the person that hit me has officially admitted 100% fault.

Now waiting for the adjuster from the insurance company to go to AutoNation Collision Center in Westmont Il.

My rep at AutoNation Collision Center says that as soon as the adjuster leaves ( will only take about 30 min ) that 1 hour later they will call in the parts order.

That's when the Tesla wait clock starts. ( I will post the date and time when the official clock starts ).

That should be either tomorrow or Monday.

I will keep everyone informed during this entire process.

The major damage visually to me is the rear bumper / trunk / rear glass / front bumper / drivers seat - seatbelt locked.

I was sternly informed that its nowhere near a total. Whewww..

The Insurance company of the person that hit me has officially admitted 100% fault.

Now waiting for the adjuster from the insurance company to go to AutoNation Collision Center in Westmont Il.

My rep at AutoNation Collision Center says that as soon as the adjuster leaves ( will only take about 30 min ) that 1 hour later they will call in the parts order.

That's when the Tesla wait clock starts. ( I will post the date and time when the official clock starts ).

The major damage visually to me is the rear bumper / trunk / rear glass / front bumper / drivers seat - seatbelt locked.

Whew! So glad to see this post...I hope your incident resolves quickly now that you have more information. Keep us posted!

This is good news!! A positive update for sure.

What happened to the front? Did your car get smushed into another?

And if you have any photos, I’d be curious to see them. Always amazed by how great Tesla’s cabin protection is!

Yes. They said that I should reach out to them once I have the Tesla Order number from AutoNation Collision Center. I'm not sure why they would want it then,.... maybe they all help one another. Wouldn't that be great?

I think they asked you for that since another party is breaking down your vehicle and listing what parts are needed. They could quote you based on your list maybe? I’m not sure.