Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended with less than 100miles. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent accidents from occurring. It is designed to slow the vehicle down to mitigate the damage, not 100% prevent an accident. Of course this also depends on the speed of the vehicle. If you are going 5 mph, it may fully stop you before you hit something. If you're going 50 mph it will just slow you down to mitigate the impact.
Plenty of IIHS and EuroNCAP tests conducted at 25MPH for vehicle to vehicle and up to 40MPH for vehicle to pedestrian.
Mostly every car passes these days for these tests where it avoids the accident.

Plenty of IIHS and EuroNCAP tests conducted at 25MPH for vehicle to vehicle and up to 40MPH for vehicle to pedestrian.
Mostly every car passes these days for these tests where it avoids the accident.
I don't know if there's anything newer, but all I could find was the data from IIHS in 2019. They found it reduced front-to-rear collisions 50% and decreased injuries 56%. Would love to see the study or data you have that shows "Mostly every car passes these days for these tests where it avoids the accident".
A 50% reduction is better than 0%, but still far away from being able to rely on them for 100% preventing accidents.
In the real life (non-scientific) tests I've seen done, a lot of dummies lost their lives entrusting the AEB systems to prevent pedestrian accidents. So much so it was hilarious watching the cars hit dummies, balloons, fake dogs, etc..

If you're doing 60 and traffic stops, the AEB system kicks in at the last second to mitigate the accident after it determines there hasn't been any input from the driver to brake. It's not like the AEB systems kick in 400-500 feet before stopped traffic. Imagine if a car started braking without even giving you a chance to do it yourself, we would all hate it.

Looks like I get to join this club. Almost same exact situation happened to me at a stop light yesterday. Really appreciate @plumsauce for documenting the process here. For sure know what's coming down the pipe.... You guessed it. The other driver has Geico.... Any advice if you could do it over again? Words to say to adjuster/body shop to get it over 25K to convince them to total it? I'm guessing they will try and not total it if work has already started kind of thing. But if I can hit the ground running on this one.... Any chance you can PM me your lawyer's info and maybe your shop's info. I'm in SoCal as well.

Thanks again for the heads up on this one... Beers on me for sure

I got my quote back last week.. It was $4,300. They didn't even take the bumper off etc. There's clear body damage on the right rear that will have to be cut out and re-welded back into place. There's no way this repair is going to be $4,300. Why would the shop submit such a low repair estimate? Seems like it's setting me up for the same scenario as you. Do you have your estimate break down on the final repair costs or at least before they started working on it as to what was actually damaged and the itemized costs for parts. Because my guess is this quite (can't see the itemized breakdown in Geico's app) is simply replace the bumper and plastic parts as well as the lift gate. Of Course Geico is going to approve this quote because it's stupid low. Just don't want to get into the same bind.

Second, I'm literally in the process of moving back to the east coast. They quoted me at 1.5 months to get parts. Seems to me that I should just wait for the two weeks to get my stuff moved and start the repairs when I get to the East Coast. Versus having to fly back later this year. Anyone have something like this happen. Also, would be real slick if Geico paid for the car to get shipped to the East coast. I really don't want to drive it cross country like this if I don't have to. Over under on them paying for that?

@rbeall The $4300 is most likely the pre estimate. Assuming it’s a Tesla approved body shop, once they start taking panels apart, that will jump up… A lot. Adjusters from both insurance companies will come down reassess the damages, go back and forth a few times to both agree on what’s fair. Geico will pay out but only to whatever the other party’s limit is. If your damage is more than that, your insurance will come in and sue the other company for the rest of the repairs.

1.5 months time to get parts sounds great. I’m still waiting on the car and it’s almost been three months. My parts were backlogged so there wasn’t any availability or set time for them to come in. Another big thing that pushed the repairs back was the replacement of the battery. The car was sent to the nearest tesla for that to be figured out.

It is to the best interest of the insurance to save and pay out as least amount of money as possible. I doubt they will pay for your cars transport unless they absolutely need to.

I recommend getting a lawyer to help you sort through all of that. I can see the other party’s insurance easily trying to jerk you around if you aren’t proactive with the case.

Reactions: Nolakai and RNHurt
In other party at fault accidents, I have always had my own insurance company (State Farm) take care of the repair and subrogate to the other insurance company to the limit of their coverage and then sue the driver for any balance. Your company has your interests in mind on supervising the repair when they know the other party pays. You can still make an independent claim to the other carrier or sue for diminished value if you don't have that coverage.

@rbeall The $4300 is most likely the pre estimate. Assuming it’s a Tesla approved body shop, once they start taking panels apart, that will jump up… A lot. Adjusters from both insurance companies will come down reassess the damages, go back and forth a few times to both agree on what’s fair. Geico will pay out but only to whatever the other party’s limit is. If your damage is more than that, your insurance will come in and sue the other company for the rest of the repairs.

1.5 months time to get parts sounds great. I’m still waiting on the car and it’s almost been three months. My parts were backlogged so there wasn’t any availability or set time for them to come in. Another big thing that pushed the repairs back was the replacement of the battery. The car was sent to the nearest tesla for that to be figured out.

It is to the best interest of the insurance to save and pay out as least amount of money as possible. I doubt they will pay for your cars transport unless they absolutely need to.

I recommend getting a lawyer to help you sort through all of that. I can see the other party’s insurance easily trying to jerk you around if you aren’t proactive with the case.
Yup more than likely it's a pre-estimate and they will update the estimate. The guy at the shop told me a new tailgate was $1,400-$1,600 and maybe it's just me, but I feel like that's low

Here is the quote that I received. Called the Tesla Collision shop on the East Coast. Seems like they are willing to pre-order parts as soon as I can get the car in. I think I'm just going to get the car to the East Coast as soon as possible so the pain can begin.

$1200 for the lift gate and 7 hrs of labor to install it. I'm guessing most of that is removing all of the parts/wiring harness etc. I'm hoping Tesla correctly adds in all of the things like sensor calibration etc given the parking sensors are totally cut etc.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.47.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.47.28 PM.png

Here is the quote that I received. Called the Tesla Collision shop on the East Coast. Seems like they are willing to pre-order parts as soon as I can get the car in. I think I'm just going to get the car to the East Coast as soon as possible so the pain can begin.

$1200 for the lift gate and 7 hrs of labor to install it. I'm guessing most of that is removing all of the parts/wiring harness etc. I'm hoping Tesla correctly adds in all of the things like sensor calibration etc given the parking sensors are totally cut etc.

View attachment 806261View attachment 806262
I hope they add and calibrate everything to spec. The other side on my accident just accepted liability and told me that when I choose my rental not to go crazy because it may go over the cost. I think they're worried that I'm going to be in a rental for 5 months since parts could be a wait. I'll post my quote once I get it and we can compare since I believe our accident are similar. I won't have the quote until Monday or Wednesday.

View attachment 806261View attachment 806262
Thats very cheap. The shop that fixed my Tesla was $150.00 hr.

@plumsauce Just finally got my quote and since our accident was very similar i wanted to compare with yours and the cost is the same of $20K. Are you still dealing with your situation?
$20,600 to the body shop (parts and labor)
$17,500 to Tesla for full replacement of battery
$225 to Tesla to reset the airbag.

Just got the car back. Tesla insurance paid out $1000 to replace the wrap (not enough to pay for all panels that were replaced). Had to shell out an extra $1550 to cover the rest of the wrap.

Waiting to hear back from attorney.

$20,600 to the body shop (parts and labor)
$17,500 to Tesla for full replacement of battery
$225 to Tesla to reset the airbag.

Just got the car back. Tesla insurance paid out $1000 to replace the wrap (not enough to pay for all panels that were replaced). Had to shell out an extra $1550 to cover the rest of the wrap.

Waiting to hear back from attorney.
Keep us updated. Did you file a DV?