Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Seats Retrofit - Did It Include Button to Open Trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had the seats retrofitted as well as the rear cross member? I am seeing a wide range of costs quoted on the forums and want to understand the exact cost for a 42XXX VIN car to have the rear seats retrofitted. Also, is the retro-fit any less safe than the in-factory installation?

If you look at these two pictures (ignore the red box). You can see the change that Tesla has made to the rear seat area to improve airflow. On my Feb 2015 delivered P85D, my third row seats have printed on them "For effective third row hvac use the 'fresh air' setting".

My kids should be much happier.

Old:

1edf7b3566bafc0c5d003bd469d220ff.jpg

New:

Here's the official answer:

Thanks for your note. The holes have been there since the first Model S. They are used to reduce inside pressure when closing the roof or the doors (the air extractors are in their vicinity, behind the rear fascia). They do help with air circulation when the air conditioning is set to “fresh air” (i.e., recirculation)

Thanks again. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen

DJ - I'd love to know more about what the SC did for your retrofit. I have VIN 4400 and I've been looking for a set of rear seats. How long did it take? Do the service centers know which VINs are retrofitable?

Here's what they did. So, I bought the seats from someone who was selling them and didn't really use them. I purchased the seat unit plus the screw and bracket that anchors them under the well in the trunk. The service center had to install the clips that go into the back of the 2nd row seats and the trunk. They mistakenly failed to install the button that occupants of the 3rd row can press to open the trunk. That is scheduled for next week. Since they stopped reinforcing all cars somewhere around the 5,500 VIN, the service center only had to visually inspect that the rear cross member reinforcement was present. The install took a day and ran me about $1k.

Here's what they did. So, I bought the seats from someone who was selling them and didn't really use them. I purchased the seat unit plus the screw and bracket that anchors them under the well in the trunk. The service center had to install the clips that go into the back of the 2nd row seats and the trunk. They mistakenly failed to install the button that occupants of the 3rd row can press to open the trunk. That is scheduled for next week. Since they stopped reinforcing all cars somewhere around the 5,500 VIN, the service center only had to visually inspect that the rear cross member reinforcement was present. The install took a day and ran me about $1k.

That's great information to have. I've been wanting to do what you've done. Now I need to go find someone willing to part with their seats and then call my local SC. Thanks so much for the info.