Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Seats Retrofit - Did It Include Button to Open Trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
I've read that there is a button that allows occupants in the rear facing seats to open the trunk when the vehicle is parked. Apparently it is located on the driver's side underneath the parcel shelf rack. I was wondering if anyone has had the rear facing seats retrofitted and whether it included the installation of this button.

We recently had the seats installed but I didn't see any such button. Just curious...

The manual is sneaky and doesn't mention this button is limited to cars with rear facing seats. I "trapped" myself in the trunk once for trusting the manual. I read about the button, hopped in the trunk and closed it so I could clean the inside of the liftgate window. It was only then I discovered my car lacks the button. After a bit of panic hunting for the button fruitlessly in the dark, I remembered I could put down the rear seats and crawl out through the rear doors... but not before I yanked at the paneling for the manual trunk release, which is kind of fragile. Fortunately I didn't break it.

The manual is sneaky and doesn't mention this button is limited to cars with rear facing seats. I "trapped" myself in the trunk once for trusting the manual. I read about the button, hopped in the trunk and closed it so I could clean the inside of the liftgate window. It was only then I discovered my car lacks the button. After a bit of panic hunting for the button fruitlessly in the dark, I remembered I could put down the rear seats and crawl out through the rear doors... but not before I yanked at the paneling for the manual trunk release, which is kind of fragile. Fortunately I didn't break it.

Now I'm going to have to look again. I thought all of our cars had a button or lever on the inside of the lift gate. It's just the one under the parcel shelf rail that would be missing. But I've never tried to use it.

We also had the rear facing seats added after production and the install included the button for the kids to operate the liftgate. If you're sitting in the rear-facing seats it's on the right side, under a little ledge. I'm at work in the Roadster so can't take a pic. If no one posts one by this evening I'll post a pic of ours.

Now I'm going to have to look again. I thought all of our cars had a button or lever on the inside of the lift gate. It's just the one under the parcel shelf rail that would be missing. But I've never tried to use it.
You're thinking of the manual release I referenced, I would guess. It's not a button, it's a removable panel. I don't know if you've ever tried to use it, but from memory: you pop off this little cover on the liftgate by the light, and then you can reach inside the panel to find this little piece of string with a plastic tab on the end that's velcro'd to the bodywork. Mine had separated from the velcro, so I had to fish around in the panel for it with my fingers. If yours is still connected, pull the tab from the velcro and then pull on the string to release the latch manually. It's a little chintzy, but it works.

You're thinking of the manual release I referenced, I would guess. It's not a button, it's a removable panel. I don't know if you've ever tried to use it, but from memory: you pop off this little cover on the liftgate by the light, and then you can reach inside the panel to find this little piece of string with a plastic tab on the end that's velcro'd to the bodywork. Mine had separated from the velcro, so I had to fish around in the panel for it with my fingers. If yours is still connected, pull the tab from the velcro and then pull on the string to release the latch manually. It's a little chintzy, but it works.

Yep, that's what it is. I tried pulling on it, and the plastic handle immediately came off the string. It appears it was only held together by some goo. Under-designed.

There are two releases -- the emergency release is located under that removable panel. Every car has this one.

However, cars with the rear-facing seats *AND* the tech package (you need it for the power liftgate) have a switch that is underneath the ledge that holds up the parcel shelf on the driver's side. It's a fingertip push-pull switch that either closes or opens the liftgate. If you have third row seats and tech package, you should have this switch (including if it was retrofitted).

Likewise, my car isn't currently at home or I'd quickly capture a pic.

For clarity, here is a picture of the button for electric release of the rear hatch that comes with the rear facing seats.

8yAAr1X.jpg

However, cars with the rear-facing seats *AND* the tech package (you need it for the power liftgate) have a switch that is underneath the ledge that holds up the parcel shelf on the driver's side. It's a fingertip push-pull switch that either closes or opens the liftgate. If you have third row seats and tech package, you should have this switch (including if it was retrofitted).

Actually this isn't entirely true. The electric release comes with all cars with rear facing seats, you do not need to have the tech package. I don't have the tech package and have the release (as pictured above).

Actually this isn't entirely true. The electric release comes with all cars with rear facing seats, you do not need to have the tech package. I don't have the tech package and have the release (as pictured above).

I stand corrected...

I thought without tech you didn't have a power liftgate? Does it just unlatch it then and the kids push it open?

I stand corrected...

I thought without tech you didn't have a power liftgate? Does it just unlatch it then and the kids push it open?

Yep, it "pops" open the same way the frunk does and they just give it a nudge and it opens right up on its own. The opening part is easy without the tech package. Closing, however, is something my son has not mastered yet being that the pull down handles aren't designed to be used from the inside, but I just close it from the outside so no big deal.

Mike, did you have to specify that you wanted the button? Is it in the location that I described? Any chance someone can take a picture of theirs and post here? I paid more than $1k for the installation (purchased the seats privately) and would like a complete install.

I did not have to specify. When it was installed, I recall they had some type of template to get the correct placement or something like that. It is located in the same place where Flasherz pic above indicates.

Thanks everyone in the forum. I called my service center to discuss it with them. They researched the issue and sure enough, they forgot to install the button. They've ordered the parts and will be installing it within two weeks.

Hadn't seen another thread on the topic so hopefully this will help others going forward.