Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Window Tint is total limo style black out. Privacy is not a concern.

As someone with sport utility vehicles for years.. storage covers can provide privacy and also a "finished" look to rear. The trade-off, however, is that you constantly uninstall and reinstall cover each time you need to haul anything of any size.. which happens more often than I would have guessed (twice last week).

All in all, with the great privacy glass on the Y, this is a non-issue.
I'd still rather have the option of a cover, leaving it open when I don't need it. The cover on my Mazda CX-5 takes about 5 seconds to remove fully, so that's not really an issue.

Hi Everyone, I am the maker of the ModelYShelf. I now have them ready to go, and have shipped the firs batch. The AC and heating efficiency was not originally a big thing, but it was very evident on the Chevy Volt and folks in them love every last KW they can get. How much less energy you save will vary based on a number of variables, but the overall effect will be less noticeable in a Tesla give the much larger battery capacity. Noise from the rear of the car will also be reduced from the carpeted bottom of the ModelYShelf absorbing noise coming from the rear. I can't tell you the extent as the Model Y is already pretty quiet, and we have not done specific testing yet. Again, using our experience with the Volt as a reference, there was @ a 20% reduction in interior noise in the car with a VoltShelf in place. This was measured in 4 separate tests, 2 being done by customers that were both audiophiles with somewhat sophisticated equipment. All 4 tests showed pretty similar results.

Dandi58, the ModelYShelf can be set up to be very easily removed in @5-10 seconds as well. What we have found with this set up is that most folks don't need to take it down very often, so we go with a standard installation and offer other possibilities as options. And I am all for folks getting creative with this to meet their own needs.

Also, if you go to the VoltShop in #21, there is now a link on that to the ModelYShelf site.

HTH,

Steve

He designed and manufactured versions for both Gen I and Gen II Volts. They were well crafted, fit, and functioned very nicely. So there is 3rd party hope after all. Where there is a will, there is a way. I suspect the early bird will get the worm as the first vendor to get one to market will be able to advertise "The Original". Let the competition begin.

But I would like one.

So I guess this is The Original ModelYShelf, Tom! BTW, seems like you are the proud owner of the original, Original VoltShelf, If I recall correctly. Good to run into you again!

Steve

Not sure I like how the straps attach to the rear headrest and push into upholstery. Couldn't the way it's tied to the shelf to hatch to raise be a plug in the shelf or a ring that is attached to the straps? More refinement and I would buy up to $300.

I'd still rather have the option of a cover, leaving it open when I don't need it. The cover on my Mazda CX-5 takes about 5 seconds to remove fully, so that's not really an issue.
Volvo uses a soft shelf idea, which is awesome. It's a (removable) rigid bar that locks across the trunk directly behind the rear seats. You grab a pull handle and pull out the retractable privacy cover like a set of blinds, and lock it into place near the hatch.

Such a great solution. It takes up almost no space, can be deployed on demand, and if you need to put the seats down and haul something both long and high you can completely remove it. Fantastic.

I probably didn't explain it well, so here's some pictures: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country Luggage Test | How much fits in the trunk?

Volvo uses a soft shelf idea, which is awesome. It's a (removable) rigid bar that locks across the trunk directly behind the rear seats. You grab a pull handle and pull out the retractable privacy cover like a set of blinds, and lock it into place near the hatch.

Such a great solution. It takes up almost no space, can be deployed on demand, and if you need to put the seats down and haul something both long and high you can completely remove it. Fantastic.

I probably didn't explain it well, so here's some pictures: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country Luggage Test | How much fits in the trunk?

CRV's have had this for the current and past generations. The generation before that, however, had a folding hard shelf that was maybe 12" off the floor. I miss that aspect of that car (2008 CRV EXL Nav), short items stowed under the shelf and the shelf was sturdy enough to hold fairly heavy items on top of it. When I googled for an image it showed the optional roller that could be put on top to hide items on the shelf. We never bought one but it was an option even back then.

Attachments

• 35b4389bd5baf94ff6325d5290bd3ef8.jpg
    35b4389bd5baf94ff6325d5290bd3ef8.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 135

My daughter's 2016 Grand Cherokee has the same. My Mazda has a cover that unrolls and attaches to the inside of the liftback. Removal of the cover consists of 1) unhook the cover at the liftback and let it retract, 2) push the cover holder to one side and pull it out. I prefer the latter as it moves out of the way when you open the hatch.

What is the cost of the shelf and how does it attach to the hatch?

Hi Kendall, The ModelYShelf is $200 for the standard carpeted version. This includes shipping in the Continental US.

The attachment to the hatch is a cord that attaches to the top of hatch support strut mount. That allows it to lift automatically when you open the hatch. This mounting point is simple to attach to with no tools and requires no modification to the car at all.

HTH,

Steve

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Not sure I like how the straps attach to the rear headrest and push into upholstery. Couldn't the way it's tied to the shelf to hatch to raise be a plug in the shelf or a ring that is attached to the straps? More refinement and I would buy up to $300.

I am actually working on an attachment for the headrests that would take care of this, CaliX. It also will make the ModelYShelf even easier to take down when needed. I like your idea about the attachment rings, especially for the tail end of the ModelYShelf. I'll take a look at something down that road. But I would like to note that we try to do things in straightforward ways that keeps things simple and easy. Which also helps keep the cost down a bit as well. Also, I encourage folks to customize things to make them right for themselves. Over the years, many of our products and improvements have come from customer idea in this way.

Steve