Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear quarter glass shattered.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may explain what happened to my attempt to report my car’s case.
My Model 3 quarter glass was smashed during peak commute hours 6:30 PM daylight in a busy business district with restaurants and shop, near BART, my dashcam had recorded entire act with their car license and make, the actual young woman ’s face who smashed window twice, and passerby who stopped them etc. I sent USB to the policy since there were so many cars vandalized in the hope they will do something to make us feel safe. They did not even bother to reply at all.
Then the second time happened again in a trendy restaurant’s area…
The west coast has too many people with nothing, therefore nothing to lose, lack of punishments for small crimes, cops are tired of dealing with crazy smelly people who gets put back on the streets day after day...

Sentry mode only works in low crime areas where cops feel like their actions mean something.

Reactions: rpiotro
This may explain what happened to my attempt to report my car’s case.
My Model 3 quarter glass was smashed during peak commute hours 6:30 PM daylight in a busy business district with restaurants and shop, near BART, my dashcam had recorded entire act with their car license and make, the actual young woman ’s face who smashed window twice, and passerby who stopped them etc. I sent USB to the policy since there were so many cars vandalized in the hope they will do something to make us feel safe. They did not even bother to reply at all.
Then the second time happened again in a trendy restaurant’s area…
You have to file an actual police report (can go to a station to do it). These however are low urgency crimes, as police in Bay Area in general is understaffed to do investigations on things like this and the probability they criminals get charged is low especially if nothing of high value was lost and no one was injured.

Thieves routinely break those windows so they can reach inside and flip down the rear seat to see what is in the trunk/hatch. If they see something good they will go after that.

Police will not arrest someone seen doing his, as they know the arrestee will simply be released with no bail. Prosecutors will not prosecute and Judges will not jail those criminals. Crime seems to have few consequences these days.
I don't get it. people in CA and other states/areas voted to have those policy makers and law enforcement authorities who will not prosecute and put them away for their crimes. I just don't get whey people complain?

I don't get it. people in CA and other states/areas voted to have those policy makers and law enforcement authorities who will not prosecute and put them away for their crimes. I just don't get whey people complain?
Not exactly. For example, the previous SF DA was recalled and the current DA ran on a platform of targeting crime. The current board of supervisors also is much more willing to fund police, with the current mayor also supportive.

It's just that property crime in general ranks low unless there were injuries or massive loss. And filling up the police staffing is easier said than done, given it's easy to be stuck relying on overtime. Voting in someone different does not immediately mean staffing levels can go up.

• Informative
Reactions: nate704
Three times my Model 3 has had the small rear window broken and the rear seat flipped down to allow a look into the trunk. As a result I leave the rear seats down to allow visual access to the trunk. This means I cannot leave anything in the trunk. Lucid solved that problem by having to open the trunk to lower the rear seat. That is an easy solution to a recurring problem on the Model 3. Does anyone know how to get this message to Tesla? I mentioned it to the service team at Tesla and they said they had no way to contact people who could address the problem and solution.

Three times my Model 3 has had the small rear window broken and the rear seat flipped down to allow a look into the trunk. As a result I leave the rear seats down to allow visual access to the trunk. This means I cannot leave anything in the trunk. Lucid solved that problem by having to open the trunk to lower the rear seat. That is an easy solution to a recurring problem on the Model 3. Does anyone know how to get this message to Tesla? I mentioned it to the service team at Tesla and they said they had no way to contact people who could address the problem and solution.
I'd contact one of the electric vehicle websites and send them the story, that they can highlight it.

I'd contact one of the electric vehicle websites and send them the story, that they can highlight it.

they already ran this back in 2021

The rear quarter glass on the drivers side (Small Triangle shaped one) was shattered.
Not sure how it happened, parked in a secure parking lot came back later to find it still o=attached to car 100% but shattered.
Anyway I now need to replace it. I would like to keep original glass, does that mean going thru Tesla only for that?
Did you have Sentry running, to capture any of this? Perhaps you already mentioned this?

They are well aware of this from a rash of them that happened a few years back before Sentry mode, although things have died down since then.

People did come up with a 3D printed lock of their own:
Tesla Model 3 owner 3D prints rear seat lock that prevents break-ins

Someone came up with the idea of simply using a paint stir stick:
Secure your Model 3 Trunk in 3 minutes Without Buying Anything!

Of course, although these locks prevent the rear seats from being dropped, it does not necessarily mean the perps will not smash your window anyways given they don't know you have something like this.

So, if a thief breaks the rear quarter glass, pops the seat, and finds treasure in the trunk how do they get to the treasure? Do they use a stick to push the door button to open the door and then lower the back seat all the way? Its so maddening that there are so many people out there who steal from those who work hard to earn a decent life.

Reactions: XPsionic
So, if a thief breaks the rear quarter glass, pops the seat, and finds treasure in the trunk how do they get to the treasure? Do they use a stick to push the door button to open the door and then lower the back seat all the way? Its so maddening that there are so many people out there who steal from those who work hard to earn a decent life.
I imagine they smash the other rear window and just reach in to grab it. Using any door buttons or the manual release would trigger the alarm.

Reactions: XPsionic