Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat folding by switch issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7CC2810E-76A6-45D4-A51D-ADCB7EF1B6F7.png
My rear left seat does not fold down with the use of the rear hatch switch. I brought it for service for a few minor things with the seat issue my prime concern. At the time of drop off the tech tried to tell me that I just had to push the seat down after using the switch. I said bullshit, they are designed to fold down upon release, just like the right side seat back.

They finished my service call and I got this on my service report, telling me basically I should read the manual. I thought this was a known Tesla issue. How many others have this problem and we’re blown off by Tesla?

View attachment 575100 My rear left seat does not fold down with the use of the rear hatch switch. I brought it for service for a few minor things with the seat issue my prime concern. At the time of drop off the tech tried to tell me that I just had to push the seat down after using the switch. I said bullshit, they are designed to fold down upon release, just like the right side seat back.

They finished my service call and I got this on my service report, telling me basically I should read the manual. I thought this was a known Tesla issue. How many others have this problem and we’re blown off by Tesla?
This is total BS. The manual clearly says it is supposed to swing forward. Then you can push it downward (not forward) to make it lay flat.

When I test drove the Y, the seats were folded down, and most bumps on the road caused the screen to display a seat belt warning for the rear passengers, probably detecting the weigh of the seats as people. Did anyone else have this issue? Maybe they should be pressed down further to lock in place or something?

I am waiting for my service center to receive new rear seats. The left pair dropped with the trunk release, but the right seat did not (we could hear a motor whir, but no drop. It has been a couple of months since I picked up the car and noted this (the only fault I could find).

I am waiting for my service center to receive new rear seats. The left pair dropped with the trunk release, but the right seat did not (we could hear a motor whir, but no drop. It has been a couple of months since I picked up the car and noted this (the only fault I could find).

Did your right seat move at all? My left seat moves about 2-3 inches and then stops.

I had the same problem with the left/center seat. Right seat fell when I pull the switch, but the left one had to be pushed. The delivery person said that it may need to wear in, and I could make a SC if it does not. It was intermittent the few time I used the switch in first month, then I got Tesmainian floor and trunk mats. In vacuuming the floor and trunk carpets to install the mats, I noticed the trunk carpet had a strip of plastic glued to the edge next to the rear seats. The carpet partially separated from the strip next to the left seat. I took a picture, sent to the SC got an appointment, and now it is fine.

I had the same problem with the left/center seat. Right seat fell when I pull the switch, but the left one had to be pushed. The delivery person said that it may need to wear in, and I could make a SC if it does not. It was intermittent the few time I used the switch in first month, then I got Tesmainian floor and trunk mats. In vacuuming the floor and trunk carpets to install the mats, I noticed the trunk carpet had a strip of plastic glued to the edge next to the rear seats. The carpet partially separated from the strip next to the left seat. I took a picture, sent to the SC got an appointment, and now it is fine.
What was done to fix it?

Mine has the same issue. The rear seats are installed so closely together that the switch does not move them at all. Of course Tesla said that the rear switch is supposed to just unlock the latch and not actually fold the seats down but I call bs because every model y I’ve seen (including our other model y) the seats fold down.