Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat headphones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Success! I got the 1656787-00-B part from Tesla, and installed it myself in about 10m following the service guide terranx posted above. I now have working Bluetooth for the rear screen, for entertainment and gaming. This module replacement is all that is required; I still have the original smaller rear screen and 8GB RAM computer.

It just requires:
* Using a pry tool or knife to pull out the rear wall of the center console (where the USB-C ports and 12V socket are) from the 4 retaining clips at each corner
* Detaching the two cables to the module (looks like 4-pin power and a mini-USB for data). These cables are short so it’s a little tricky. You don’t need to detach the 12V power cable if you then maneuver the wall onto the floor of the center console
* Unscrewing the three screws that attach the module to the wall- Torx 20
* Switching the module for the new part, screwing it back it, reconnecting the 2 cables, and pushing the wall back into the retaining clips to secure.

I still have power and data for both center console and rear screen USB-C ports, verified with a USB-C hub for a micro SD of music in the console, and a wired gaming controller in the back.

Tesla would not do the install themselves, they said that cars built before 12/1/21 did not come with rear Bluetooth, and there is no service bulletin yet to allow them to do it. They also would not comp me the part, but they did allow me to buy it over the counter - it was $120 plus tax. I see there is one currently on eBay for $100 but I decided not to wait.

I will sell the old 1755200-00-B on eBay as terranx suggested, likely to someone who wants to add USB-C data to a new Model 3 or Y which only comes with USB-C power, not data.

Many thanks to all, and particularly to terranx for all the information and guidance, and to muzzman1 for confirming that this was working in their early 2021 refresh with the center console replacement.
All,

Not sure if this helps but I reported the problem to Tesla Service. They replied back that there is a retrofit process being designed. They are supposed to contact me when it is available. They escalated the issue to their higher level tech support team apparently.

1705081413363.png

Last edited:
Wow. What’s the logic behind not charging for this but charging for the steam computer upgrade.
The actual cost I guess. The Bluetooth module costs us $100 and probably costs Tesla about $10. The computer has a few hundred bucks worth of stuff in it even if you consider only the material costs.

I also wouldn’t hold by breath over the retrofit being free anyway.

Reactions: Maaz and Evee
I was able to buy the part for $120, they had it in stock. Didnt have a timeline of when it would be available. With little kids, something I've been waiting for a while so just did it.
I’m new to Tesla, having just bought a 2021 Model S. I tried to get two Bluetooth headphones to connect, and they wouldn’t, and a search brought me here. How did you buy the part from Tesla? Go to a service center? Thanks.

I’m new to Tesla, having just bought a 2021 Model S. I tried to get two Bluetooth headphones to connect, and they wouldn’t, and a search brought me here. How did you buy the part from Tesla? Go to a service center? Thanks.
Open a service request stating you want to buy the part. Or request the retrofit which, according to a rumor, is supposed to be coming for free soon.

I can confirm that part number 1656787-00-B works on my 09/2021 MSLR. I ordered it from my local service center, and it took 3 weeks to arrive. The instructions are accurate, but removing the panel and wiring takes patience and persistence. It took me about 30 minutes to complete. I was able to pair 2 Sony WH-CH520's. These are small enough to store in the door pocket.
I only ran into one issue. After the initial pairing, the headphones disappeared from the BT device list. This was resolved in the end by doing a soft reset using the wheel buttons, which seems to solve all my software issues. 😄

Reactions: terranx
I just noticed the owner's manual has a note about it indicating pre-September 2021 vehicles missing the hardware for Bluetooth headphones, although I don't know how accurate it is seeing the note about having to use the glovebox USB port for USB game controllers seems incorrect in that I have a May 2022 Model S and I use the center console USB ports which according to the manual should not be possible...🤷‍♂️

IMG_0836.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Evee
Still no retrofit available, just contacted Tesla and they said they're not allowed to do it at this time.

You'll have to buy the hardware yourself, install it, and then find someone at Tesla who has gateway access IF feature configuration is required. If it's not, then a force install of the current firmware in the service menu would likely do the trick.