Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat will not fold - 6 month wait for repair??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 days into ownership and the 3rd row driver side seat stuck in down position. Tesla service wanted to me to drive the 70 min back into town to have them put it upright. I told them that I would take a stab at fixing it myself, I tried that night, but it was pretty tightly sealed seat, no luck. I pushed the service rep (not too hard) and they came out to my work (60 minute drive) took it back to the service center, unstuck the seat into the upright position and ordered a new seat. They told me 3-4 months for the seat, it came in 43 days. Got the new seat swapped out the last time I was in town, only a 2 hour job, but still gave me a loaner MS for the afternoon. I was very nice about the whole thing, don't know if that helped, but I sure was impressed with the service.

I was told by the service rep the cost of the 3rd row seat was $ 6,800 CND.

You miss-spelled the actual word.
It's spelled, "v-a-l-i-d-a-t-i-n-g"
.... and welcome to our world, tho you may not want to be hear.
;)
Cars are mechanical machines built by humans, or robots programmed by humans, these machines are going to come out the factory with glitches and problems from time to time. But as in the case of macd1995, it's not the fact there was a problem, it's how was the problem handled and solved. In my experience, Tesla SC did more than for me in this warranty service than any of my other ICE machines serviced over my life time. I hope your seat comes in sooner than later and looking forward to hearing about your service experience.

Model X 100D, Delivery July 31 2017

Oh my, 43 days. Thank goodness for the advice to send a note to the Head if customer service. My 6 month wait ended up only being 1.5 weeks, so i am grateful... and nervous. I hope it doesn't happen again, and I am somewhat nervous every time I put the rear seat down to maximize cargo space..

First time I put those seats down and up, I saw what the issue everyone was talking about... why are the latches so electronic and complex? But the real question is, why, when it fails, is the only fix a whole new replacement seat? You would think when they bid these things out (or especially if internal), they would specify repair processes. There has to be a way to replace the latching mechanism. Or is this part of minimizing the number of parts/assemblies? But then you spend a lot more money on warranty service, replacing whole seats!

First time I put those seats down and up, I saw what the issue everyone was talking about... why are the latches so electronic and complex? But the real question is, why, when it fails, is the only fix a whole new replacement seat? You would think when they bid these things out (or especially if internal), they would specify repair processes. There has to be a way to replace the latching mechanism. Or is this part of minimizing the number of parts/assemblies? But then you spend a lot more money on warranty service, replacing whole seats!
Totally agree. It's not like the button automatically pulls the seat down or up. They over-engineered something that could have been handled with a manual button/ lever setup.

Picking up my fixed up Model X tomorrow with the new seat, 1 day repair. They say the seat replacement part is too big for the Model S mobile repair service. This was at the Dublin service center. If I hadn't called to check on the part, they probably would have waited a while longer until a lull in their appointment schedule to call me. So if you have a busy SC, make sure to check in every so often.

Picking up my fixed up Model X tomorrow with the new seat, 1 day repair. They say the seat replacement part is too big for the Model S mobile repair service. This was at the Dublin service center. If I hadn't called to check on the part, they probably would have waited a while longer until a lull in their appointment schedule to call me. So if you have a busy SC, make sure to check in every so often.
Glad to hear. So the process took roughly two months from when the SC ordered the replacement? I had just sent an escalation email complaining of lack of communication to my SC on when they should expect the replacement seat... SC said they also sent a chaser to the factory yesterday... I hope they can get this sorted out before the holidays...

These long delays for parts -- regardless of whether it is 6 weeks or 6 months -- will be a deal killer if Tesla thinks they can enter the truck business. Businesses who need their trucks to make money will simply not tolerate using a company that can't meet their needs in timely fashion. For that matter, the 300,000+ people waiting in line to get their Model 3s won't expect this sort of issue, either -- they will want a car they can drive. (Not that we Model S and X users should have to wait, either.) Tesla needs to fix their supply chain, and fast.

Went to Tesla Service because my charge cord was faulty... however.. my right rear seat will not fold down. I brought that to the attention of Service and they said it could take 6 months to address... So I don't have full use of the trunk for 6 months. That seems crazy to me. Anyone one have this experience? I still am waiting for the items that I flagged as damaged at pick up

.... 6 months?
Dear [email protected] . . . .

Here are my facts.

I wish to file a lemon law claim. How do we resolve this.

I bet it gets resolved in less than a few days.

So I sent an escalation email a week ago resulting in a bunch of phone calls and emails to reassure me they are looking into this, yet they still can't get me a simple ETA on when my replacement seat will be ready. :mad: Wife is going to be pretty miffed if we're stuck with 5 seats with holiday visitors...

So I sent an escalation email a week ago resulting in a bunch of phone calls and emails to reassure me they are looking into this, yet they still can't get me a simple ETA on when my replacement seat will be ready. :mad: Wife is going to be pretty miffed if we're stuck with 5 seats with holiday visitors...
could be worse. There's one guy in Minnesota who has waited over a ½year to get his X out of the repair shop after getting hit. (think of the depreciation alone) Until Tesla is no longer the only game in town .... it is what it is.

Good news that the replacement seat finally came in last week and they were able to install it. So in total, about 7 weeks. Escalation resulted a flurry of emails and phone calls assuring me it was being looked into but not sure if it really helped as each response was always something along the lines of "no ETA from the factory" until it was finally available. Well at least they uncorked our 75D while the seat was being replaced.

Reactions: cantbechanged
My model X is less than 6 months out of warranty and rear passenger seat is stuck in down position. I have only put these seats down a dozen times since purchasing new. Seems like a regular issue but not one that should happen. Anyone have this problem outside of warranty and what is fix? Motor seems to work when depressing seat release button. Anyone take off the back of the seat to repair?