Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear speaker not there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are longtime Model S owners, but we took delivery of our Model 3 today (no more gas cars in this family!). We had it delivered to our home in Ann Arbor — no stores in Michigan of course, and our schedule didn’t allow the road trip to Cleveland. The delivery experience was friendly and professional but lower-service than when we had the S delivered — all questions referred to Tesla staff (who weren’t present, of course). (As an aside, I will say the delivery guys seemed to be delighted with the business they’re getting from Tesla — couldn’t say enough good things about the company.)

Anyway. There were a few things wrong at delivery. One of them — lack of temp plate — has already been corrected. (I had no idea you could print a legal temp from a PDF, but so they say!). Another looks like it will be easy enough, they left the cover off the little 12v charge port on the front bumper. I assume they can just mail me one and I’ll pop it on.

But, when loading the trunk just now I said to myself, self I said, why is there a skylight in this trunk? It looks a lot like there’s supposed to be a speaker installed there — oval cutout (my “skylight”) with a wiring harness dangling in it.

Am I right to think there was supposed to be a speaker there, and they left it out? Oh, Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: scrapps
Oh P.S., is it true that there’s nothing I can do to make the car show up in the Tesla phone app, and once it’s active I’ll just be able to swipe to switch between our Model S and our Model 3?

And, is it also true that I won’t be able do the Bluetooth key thing until that happens? That’s my impression from the docs, but they’re not crystal-clear.

My wife and I are longtime Model S owners, but we took delivery of our Model 3 today (no more gas cars in this family!). We had it delivered to our home in Ann Arbor — no stores in Michigan of course, and our schedule didn’t allow the road trip to Cleveland. The delivery experience was friendly and professional but lower-service than when we had the S delivered — all questions referred to Tesla staff (who weren’t present, of course). (As an aside, I will say the delivery guys seemed to be delighted with the business they’re getting from Tesla — couldn’t say enough good things about the company.)

Anyway. There were a few things wrong at delivery. One of them — lack of temp plate — has already been corrected. (I had no idea you could print a legal temp from a PDF, but so they say!). Another looks like it will be easy enough, they left the cover off the little 12v charge port on the front bumper. I assume they can just mail me one and I’ll pop it on.

But, when loading the trunk just now I said to myself, self I said, why is there a skylight in this trunk? It looks a lot like there’s supposed to be a speaker installed there — oval cutout (my “skylight”) with a wiring harness dangling in it.

Am I right to think there was supposed to be a speaker there, and they left it out? Oh, Tesla.

Oh P.S., is it true that there’s nothing I can do to make the car show up in the Tesla phone app, and once it’s active I’ll just be able to swipe to switch between our Model S and our Model 3?

And, is it also true that I won’t be able do the Bluetooth key thing until that happens? That’s my impression from the docs, but they’re not crystal-clear.

Congrats on the new car. We also are now ICE-free, getting our Model 3 to replace the last ICE car we had. It's a good feeling to plug in at home and not have the gasoline fumes etc.

I'm assuming you were referring to the tow hook cover on the front bumper? Do check your car to make sure you received the tow hook along with your car.

The cut out with "screening" is "normal". It's been shown in a couple early videos I saw and other photos on the forum and discussed in threads. Might be for ventilation or probably more likely as a cut out for non-PUP speakers in the cars when the Standard version begins being produced, but that's been the guesses from the forum, don't think anything has ever officially been said on the matter.

As for the phone, when we picked up our car they authenticated both of our phones to use with the Model 3. See Page 6 of the manual. This will allow you to use the phone as a key and you'll also need to pair the phone to get hands-free access. Instructions for that are linked to on Page 6 as well. Hope that gets you connected. Any yes when I go to my app, I just swipe to the side to switch between our Model S and the Model 3. You can also swipe to the get to the far right were you'll see a place for your future powerwall :).

Last edited:
I'm assuming you were referring to the tow hook cover on the front bumper? Do check you car to make sure you received the tow hook along with your car.
Indeed, that’s it. Thanks, I’ll check for the hook in the morning.
As for the phone, when we picked up our car they authenticated both of our phones to use with the Model 3. See Page 6 of the manual.
Yeah, I’ve been trying to suss out if I am not understanding that section correctly, or if it just isn’t working as described. I think it’s the latter, and I think it’s because Tesla hasn’t activated things on their end yet. I’ll try to cultivate patience (and also bug them Monday morning:).

Yeah, I’ve been trying to suss out if I am not understanding that section correctly, or if it just isn’t working as described. I think it’s the latter, and I think it’s because Tesla hasn’t activated things on their end yet. I’ll try to cultivate patience (and also bug them Monday morning:).
FYI, that's exactly what the problem was. They hadn't clicked to kick my car into "delivered" status. Once they did, everything started working as documented. (And until they did, there was nothing I could have done.)