Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear suspension control arms (Model S) -- > £1200??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been given an estimate (by the SC) of £1262 for new rear suspension control arms (following MOT failure, at 76k miles). Really???

I'm trying to get a local garage to do it (hopefully for less). They're struggling a bit to figure out how to get parts.

Any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received.

I'd suggest signing up for free to the parts catalog which will also include documentation for how to complete the repairs:

These are the parts for the rear suspension arms (Model S April 2016- Jan 2021). You should be able to order the parts from Tesla (create a service request) and provide a mechanic with them. Or the mechanic may be able to identify a suitable 3rd party/OEM replacement.

1681746973861.png

I've been given an estimate (by the SC) of £1262 for new rear suspension control arms (following MOT failure, at 76k miles). Really???

I'm trying to get a local garage to do it (hopefully for less). They're struggling a bit to figure out how to get parts.

Any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received.
Surprised you’ve had the rears go, presumably before the fronts?

We did the fronts (upper control arms) on our X about 2 years ago. Was £1121.

Now got a major suspension related clunk going on at 85K mikes - reckon the mounts are loose where they’re secured to the firewall. Sounds like something rattling around in the dash. Also loosing air in the front dampers. Car drops to its stops overnight.

Tesla quality just peachy. Fit for a £100k car eh. Jesus wept 🙈😅

Don't know what you chaps are on about ... the Lotus 2.2 I had wore out its front wishbones every 10K miles. Colin Chapman clearly considered them to be a "consumable" part to get the road holding he wanted - the thing cornered like a leech with vertigo!

Has anyone checked the Lemforder catalogue to see if those arms are available in that? Tesla really need to sort out their pricing on suspension items. They shouldn't be this expensive with such a short life.

Are the bushes worn so you could pop them out and replace them on the same arm instead of replacing the entire assembly? It's hard to tell from the catalogue how they are constructed. The rear dog bone links I had were about £60 for a pair I think which is more sensible but it looked like you could pop the bushes out and replace just those.

Reactions: Medved_77
I've now been told by my (excellent) local garage that they have been unsuccessful in creating an account with Tesla -- so, they are unable to get the parts and replace the control arms themselves. Their impression is that Tesla is making it difficult on purpose, perhaps so that customers will feel compelled to use the Tesla SC.

Would anyone perhaps have a recommendation for another garage to try in Leicester? I've made a call to Sturgess; they are looking into it. What I need is a garage that will already be in a position to get Tesla parts...

@dbartram

You can order parts directly from Tesla yourself. If you have the part numbers. You can either then collect from an SC or have them delivered to your home address. I've done this a couple of times with various bits and pieces.

Also worth trying Cleevely EV as they seem to list a fair amount of Tesla parts I'm pretty sure they ordered some for me too. They also have a mobile service so you can get the work done on your driveway.

Cleevely Electric Vehicles | Electrical Vehicles | Gloucestershire Their parts list does have quite a few. If it's in that list then I assume they can order it on your behalf.

Reactions: Durzel and dbartram
I've now been told by my (excellent) local garage that they have been unsuccessful in creating an account with Tesla -- so, they are unable to get the parts and replace the control arms themselves. Their impression is that Tesla is making it difficult on purpose, perhaps so that customers will feel compelled to use the Tesla SC.

Would anyone perhaps have a recommendation for another garage to try in Leicester? I've made a call to Sturgess; they are looking into it. What I need is a garage that will already be in a position to get Tesla parts...
Are you/they determined to replace with genuine Tesla parts?

If not there's a load of services a garage can use to find brand name aftermarket parts. Autodoc.co.uk, Eurocarparts, GSF etc.

Replacing suspension components really shouldn't be any more difficult on a Tesla.

Reactions: dbartram
Not trolling but how much was the car new?

Are the parts prices really incommensurate with the (new) price of the vehicle?

What I'm saying, I guess, is that I would not be blown away by a £1200 bill on a once £90k+ car. That's not to say they ought to last longer, though.

Cleevely is probably your best bet as mentioned before.

Here's the outcome: the Cleevely tip turned out to be the way to go. Initially I didn't follow it up -- I struggled to see how a company based in Cheltenham could help me. It works out that their mobile tech is based in Leicestershire, so in the end it was a great option.

In particular because the cost for doing the work was £465 (as against the £1260 that Tesla had in mind).

Re the post just above -- yes, it's an expensive car, but it's not the suspension that makes it an expensive car, so it shouldn't cost so much to do that work. And in the end it didn't.

That's the DC converter on my X in the Google reviews :)

As someone has mentioned you need a VIN and Tesla account to order parts. The cost of parts is than visible in your account so you can see exactly how much the parts are vs labour etc.

eTech Midlands
0116 264 0293

Reactions: dbartram