TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installed adjustable rear camber links to reduce rear tire wear

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by artsci, Nov 20, 2014.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Today I had SUPRKAR's adjustable rear camber links (see post #502) installed on my car. The installation took about 3 hours but it was well worth it as the setting are perfect for minimizing rear tire wear: -1.00 camber and 0.18 toe. Without the adjustable links the -1.00 camber setting is near impossible. The work was done by Jeff Wise of Wise Automotive in Timonium, MD. The guy's a perfectionist -- he would not stop until he got the specs spot on. He removed the aerodynamic panels under the rear axle to provide better access to the links as he was making the settings.

I've driven about 15 miles since the installation over familiar routes and the change in handling is not substantial. The adjustable links are a work of art.

IMG_00663.jpg

Here's a shot of it installed.

IMG_0071.jpg

And the setup equipment.

IMG_0078.JPG

Thanks to lolachampcar for all of the work he's done to make this possible. And to SUPRKAR for having the adjustable links made.

2. schneiderjohn

schneiderjohn Member

Very cool! If you don't mind, could you give us a ballpark figure on what something like this might run?

3. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I'm very interested in this, but waiting to see if there are any changes in the P85D setup.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

With the links and installation costs, about $1,100. Just in saved rear tire costs alone it should pay for itself in no more than two years.

5. schneiderjohn

schneiderjohn Member

Wow! That's not too bad! I do wonder what the benefit will be on D-models, considering the expected decrease in rear tire wear. Perhaps still beneficial, but will likely take longer to pay for itself.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Unless they have changed the possible alignment settings, it should provide the same benefits. (resistance to the shoulder wear during turns, which isn't the same as the reduced wear that the D provides).

7. hbombdaddy

hbombdaddy Member

Rick:

Anything different: for install of links, and settings, for p85+ vs p85 staggered 21 vs regular 21's

your buddy howard in cincinnati

ps LOVE YOUR FRONT CAMERA!!!

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

No sure about the P85+, which may have different settings.

9. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

P85+ has the same rear suspension and alignment specs as the P85 (w/ air).

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks Howard. Ironically, when I had the MobileEye System installed the installer managed to disable my front camera. The usual solutions did not work so I probably have to replace all of the cables to get it to work.