Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my rear view camera on my Model S stop working. When I open the camera app, the screen is just gray with no picture. When I shift into reverse I get the guide lines for backing up with the gray screen and no picture. I've tried rebooting both screens and I've tried powering down for 3 minutes and nothing has worked. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I recently had my rear view camera on my Model S stop working. When I open the camera app, the screen is just gray with no picture. When I shift into reverse I get the guide lines for backing up with the gray screen and no picture. I've tried rebooting both screens and I've tried powering down for 3 minutes and nothing has worked. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Sounds like you are due for a trip to the service center.

If you open your rear liftgate, and pop off the left hand hand pull handle/recessed cover, you can then see into the innards of the liftgate. Look for the black camera cable coming from your bottom right (from the underside of the applique). This cable goes to a blue connector that is clamped to a structural rail. Check the connector.

See post 105 in this thread:

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

where I am swapping out the camera. Maybe you do have a loose connector.

if not, and you need a new camera, I would leave it to the ranger/service center. It's a bit of work to deinstall/reinstall the liftgate applique and replace the camera.