Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Mirror Dark all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where exactly is the plug? I was afraid just to start yanking on wires behind the mirror.

You have to remove the little cover just behind the stem. It’s a little tricky getting off. I did not use a tool and watched a Model S video on how it came off. Very easy to unplug. I was adding a mirror tap for a radar detector today so I figured I might as well check it out.

Full disclosure - so my rear window was dark because of the Formula One Stratos tint we added (20%) all around. The 20% on top of the already very dark smoked glass was a horrendous combination and quite frankly unsafe.

I went back to where I had just got my windows tinted, and I had them replace the rear window tint with 70%, which they shockingly did at no charge. Low and behold, we can now see out of the back window perfectly fine. Even with 70% tint, the rear window still looks very dark with low visibility inward due to the smoked glass.

When it was at 20%, in broad daylight, we literally couldn't see people sitting in their vehicles when they were behind us. We could make out certain vehicles and colors, but it was mostly just shapes. Also, we have a white X and at 20%, we could not tell the spoiler was white because it was so dark.

The 20% on the smoked FWD passenger windows is perfectly fine, by the way, with no visibility issues.

Just wanted to give an update on our initial, self imposed, bad visibility experience.

Full disclosure - so my rear window was dark because of the Formula One Stratos tint we added (20%) all around. The 20% on top of the already very dark smoked glass was a horrendous combination and quite frankly unsafe.

I went back to where I had just got my windows tinted, and I had them replace the rear window tint with 70%, which they shockingly did at no charge. Low and behold, we can now see out of the back window perfectly fine. Even with 70% tint, the rear window still looks very dark with low visibility inward due to the smoked glass.

When it was at 20%, in broad daylight, we literally couldn't see people sitting in their vehicles when they were behind us. We could make out certain vehicles and colors, but it was mostly just shapes. Also, we have a white X and at 20%, we could not tell the spoiler was white because it was so dark.

The 20% on the smoked FWD passenger windows is perfectly fine, by the way, with no visibility issues.

Just wanted to give an update on our initial, self imposed, bad visibility experience.
Potentially an important question.

Those of you having problems with how dark things look in the rear view mirror: Is the wide part of your mirror at the top or the bottom?

What about those of you having no problem at all: Is the wide part of your mirror at the top or the bottom?

I just flipped mine over and it may have helped. When I look at YouTube videos, sometimes the wide part is at the top and sometimes it’s at the bottom.

Last edited:
Potentially an important question.

Those of you having problems with how dark things look in the rear view mirror: Is the wide part of your mirror at the top or the bottom?

What about those of you having no problem at all: Is the wide part of your mirror at the top or the bottom?

I just flipped mine over and it may have helped. When I look at YouTube videos, sometimes the wide part is at the top and sometimes it’s at the bottom.

For the Record the Service Manual shows the wide part on the bottom.

And the Sensor on the Left.

You can see it that way in the Parts Catalog Online as well.

49713749721_aabedbde56_h_d.jpg

Reactions: tm3lrawd
For the Record the Service Manual shows the wide part on the bottom.

And the Sensor on the Left.

You can see it that way in the Parts Catalog Online as well.

49713749721_aabedbde56_h_d.jpg
Thank you VERY much for this detailed information. Incidentally is the service manual available to buy/review anywhere? Would you happen to have a link to the online parts catalog?

I just bought a rear view mirror webcam to continuously stream what’s behind me to the rear view mirror. I’ve got to figure out how to route the wiring from the rear view mirror to the back of the car near to where the Tesla rear camera is located. This does not look at all easy and a repair manual showing how the various panels pop off would be a godsend.

This is what I bought after I saw that someone on TMC had mentioned it in an old posting.

DMYCO 10'' 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HF4RGG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks again.

Jon