Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Wheel Well Liner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
Anyone have the same issue i have here (my model 3 that i have just gotten delivery of less then 2 weeks ago), i just noticed the liner on the driver side rear toward the bumpers sonar sensor isn't lined up. It's exposed like the liner was bad. The passenger side is perfect and covers the sensor. This is exposes it and i'm afraid water will get in and damaged the sensor, not to mention the cosmetic side effects and it intrudes and can be seen. I need to take a pic of this but wonder if you guys can check to see if you liner on the driver side isn't tucked in and covering the rear bumper.

pic of what i'm talking about

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 1,895
Make sure while you are there to have them install the 2 missing plastic grommets .. one is above the shock and the other a bit lower..foe some reason are coming out of the factory with them missing. Maybe that’s why some are loosing their rear bumpers in heavy rain?

I took delivery on sept 4th with another person and BOTH of our cars were missing them.

Reactions: Phlier
Make sure while you are there to have them install the 2 missing plastic grommets .. one is above the shock and the other a bit lower..foe some reason are coming out of the factory with them missing. Maybe that’s why some are loosing their rear bumpers in heavy rain?

I took delivery on sept 4th with another person and BOTH of our cars were missing them.

How would one know if one is missing them? I took possession of mine in early August, not that I expect a lot of rain in California, but the same issues can happen while washing ones car I would assume.

Yes, mine is like that. It doesn't stick out as far as yours but it does stick out. There is a notch in the liner in that area, that fits around a knobby bit created by the bumper cover attaching to the fender. This keeps that part tucked in on the passenger side, but won't stay on the driver side. I had a mobile tech look at it when he came to adjust my charge port door, and he ordered a new liner. He will be coming out to install it on Monday.

I'm not really concerned about any effect on the sensors.

How would one know if one is missing them? I took possession of mine in early August, not that I expect a lot of rain in California, but the same issues can happen while washing ones car I would assume.

Look in the rear wheel wells inboard of the tires. If any clips are missing there will be a small round hole in the liner and probably a bit of metal visible, also with a hole in it.

Mine was missing 3 on each side. I knew to look for it at delivery and they put the clips in before I left.

My VIN is 99xxx and I also have missing plastic grommets on both rear wheel wells. Maybe that's part of cutting cost just like eliminating the 300 spot welds.
Mine is. 31k VIN and has a bunch of these missing. WTF. How does this go on for so long? I getting them inserted so there isn’t excess water and salt getting trapped behind the wheel well.

I have the same problem where the liner sticks out and water can fairly easily get in behind it. I showed it to a technician at the SC when i brought it in for other things (like missing fasteners) and he said there isn't actually any fasteners on that side that could be missing, and the piece is molded so it is how it is. I figure I would just get some double sided tape and get it tucked in a little nicer if they can't do anything about it.

Same here but I was told by the service center that those holes are not supposed to have anything in them and that they are for SC use. As for the liner, mine is the same as the original poster. Sounds like I may need to see if I can have that replaced.
Anyone have any idea why they would purposely leave holes in the wheel well, or not putting the plastic nut on the threaded posts? I’m at a loss.