Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window film Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XPEL Austin factory shop did my Model 3 window film (XPEL Prime XR nano ceramic film 70%). No problem having the rear window done as one piece, and it was the same price as any normal car. If you live in a city with an XPEL factory shop (San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston) I would recommend it. I chose the 70% transmittince as I had on my Model S, as I wanted heat rejection without the tinted look, but they have all percentages available.

TexasEV, what was the price on the tint (ballpark is fine)?

Doing the windshield is certainly possible of all cars. There is a certain amount of prep work that is needed to ensure no water drips down to the fuse panels and computers. As for the Model 3 rear glass, it is quite a bit larger than a regular sedan's rear glass, which also means it is curvier. This increases the difficulty for all installers, so skill and experience here are important. Pick and choose companies that have done it before. If they ask to see your car first, then that means they have no experience with it....best to not be a guinea pig.

Premier did all of my cars starting with our 2013 MS P85 and I never looked back. Great service, great work, and only carry premium products. Highly recommended for those in the Bay

• Helpful
Reactions: Machostallion
I just saw a dark gray M3 on Hwy 80 east near Vacaville. Back window was fully tinted and had purple hues on top. It looked amazing. I want one.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Sacramento or Bay Area who can do this at a reasonable price range? I want it to look good from outside as well as inside.
Thank you

Deluxe window tinting did my whole car and it looks grate price was way better than any other i could find in sacramento.

Let him know Mike with the White M3 sent you.

Address: 1940 Zinfandel Dr, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Phone: (916) 996-0913

Hours:
Open now ·
Add full hours

Phone: (916) 996-0913

Seems to me the installer is trying to justify his price. I've spoken to a few shops and have never heard of electronic concerns.

Quoting an early response in this thread but this is my sentiment exactly. Any tint shop that tells you it can't be done just doesn't have the skill. Any shop that tells you it will take special "bla bla bla" is just trying to hike or justify their price.

FWIW - here's my tint shopping experience:

I called 12 shops in total in the Seattle area and 4 were willing, and had done several. The price (all windows except windshield) ranged from $400-1190 depending on the shop, tint used and split vs 1 sheet pano/back. I ended up going with Xpel Prime XR from a very reputable shop for $650 inc. 1 sheet pano/back glass. They've done a few dozen 3s, majority of which he said were 1 sheet. He quoted the following:

Xpel prime cs $300 split, 1 sheet 450
Xpel prime hp $400 split, 1 sheet 550
Xpel prime xr $500 split, 1 sheet 650
Xpel prime xr+ $700 split, 1 sheet 900.

Quoting an early response in this thread but this is my sentiment exactly. Any tint shop that tells you it can't be done just doesn't have the skill. Any shop that tells you it will take special "bla bla bla" is just trying to hike or justify their price.

FWIW - here's my tint shopping experience:

I called 12 shops in total in the Seattle area and 4 were willing, and had done several. The price (all windows except windshield) ranged from $400-1190 depending on the shop, tint used and split vs 1 sheet pano/back. I ended up going with Xpel Prime XR from a very reputable shop for $650 inc. 1 sheet pano/back glass. They've done a few dozen 3s, majority of which he said were 1 sheet. He quoted the following:

Xpel prime cs $300 split, 1 sheet 450
Xpel prime hp $400 split, 1 sheet 550
Xpel prime xr $500 split, 1 sheet 650
Xpel prime xr+ $700 split, 1 sheet 900.

Do you mind sharing who did you end up going with? I've been shopping around... so far, I'm leaning towards one that use Llumar Formula One, 1 sheet for everything including roof but no windshield: $738.

Do you mind sharing who did you end up going with?

Happy to.

Midnight Tint of Bellevue.

Expel Prime XR Plus 20% doors 35% 1 piece pano/back: $900

Xpel Ultimate Plus ppf Full Front, pillars, door edges: $1900

Full rear bumper and trunk: $600

$3400 using the best films available (IMO) and he did a phenomenal job (I'll post some pics shortly). This was also the best quote I found by over a grand. Plus tax/tip it came out to ~$4400.

His name is Kris. He even met me at my delivery appointment for an inspection, and brought some temp ppf to protect the front on the way to his shop.

We established a bit of a rapport upfront and he cut me a bit of a discount. I'm not sure he does that (or the delivery/temp wrap) for everyone, but doesn't hurt to ask if you choose to go with his shop.

But if so, tell him Chris with the blue 3 referred you. I'm happy to refer him a ton of business for how well he treated me and the results!

Happy to.

Midnight Tint of Bellevue.

Expel Prime XR Plus 20% doors 35% 1 piece pano/back: $900

Xpel Ultimate Plus ppf Full Front, pillars, door edges: $1900

Full rear bumper and trunk: $600

$3400 using the best films available (IMO) and he did a phenomenal job (I'll post some pics shortly). This was also the best quote I found by over a grand. Plus tax/tip it came out to ~$4400.

His name is Kris. He even met me at my delivery appointment for an inspection, and brought some temp ppf to protect the front on the way to his shop.

We established a bit of a rapport upfront and he cut me a bit of a discount. I'm not sure he does that (or the delivery/temp wrap) for everyone, but doesn't hurt to ask if you choose to go with his shop.

But if so, tell him Chris with the blue 3 referred you. I'm happy to refer him a ton of business for how well he treated me and the results!
Thanks. I've used their northgate shop for my 13 altima and their bellevue shop for my 11 highlander and I've been happy. I refer a friend who went and they did her P85D with white interior and they left a mess... so not sure if I want to use them. They gave me $600 (half back window) and $950 (full back window 1 piece)

I've gotten a quote from another shop for llumar formula one for $740... might jump on that instead.

Thanks. I've used their northgate shop for my 13 altima and their bellevue shop for my 11 highlander and I've been happy. I refer a friend who went and they did her P85D with white interior and they left a mess... so not sure if I want to use them. They gave me $600 (half back window) and $950 (full back window 1 piece)

I've gotten a quote from another shop for llumar formula one for $740... might jump on that instead.
That was $550 for the side and back, $189 for the roof.

Not bad, but IMO the $150 difference between Xpel Prime XR+ and F1 wouldn't be a consideration. F1 isn't bad, but Xpel in general is a much higher quality film and the XR+ is their flagship. Others may disagree but that is my perspective. Either way best luckm with the results!

Not bad, but IMO the $150 difference between Xpel Prime XR+ and F1 wouldn't be a consideration. F1 isn't bad, but Xpel in general is a much higher quality film and the XR+ is their flagship. Others may disagree but that is my perspective. Either way best luckm with the results!
well... the difference isn't $150, it's $350 difference. I included the roof in that $740 when I shouldn't have.

Gotcha, so $550 with 1 sheet roof/back glass using F1? Which shop was that?

For reference here's what Midnight quoted me for the other Xpel lines w/1 sheet roof/back:

Prime CS: $450
Prime HP: $550
Prime XR: $650

Gotcha, so $550 with 1 sheet roof/back glass using F1? Which shop was that?

For reference here's what Midnight quoted me for the other Xpel lines w/1 sheet roof/back:

Prime CS: $450
Prime HP: $550
Prime XR: $650

Dealer express quoted me on the F1.

Midnight gave me:
- Standard film half back window 300
- ceramic half back window 550
- ceramic full back glass 950 (single piece)