TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear window film Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by TexasEV, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The Tampa service center has recommended not tinting the front windshield because water running down behind the dashboard during installation can fry the main computer. They have already had to replace two of them.

• Funny x 1
  2. Fusion

Fusion Member

They probably need to use some microfiber rope so prevent all the water from going down there in the first place.

• Like x 1
  3. Premier Mobile

Premier Mobile Local Vendor - NorCal

Here is a dealer locator for the Spectra Network. Dealer Locator | Prestige

• Like x 1
  4. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

My buddy got his front windshield tinted with no problem.

• Informative x 1
  5. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Certainly the front windshield can be done. But doing it comes with a risk. I just think people should know that risk before they make the decision.

• Like x 1
  6. Fusion

Fusion Member

Lower risk if they did it right.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. EliteFinish

EliteFinish Local Vendor - SoCal

That's strange that a Crystalline installer said it wasn't possible in one piece. We commonly install Crystalline on the Model 3 rear window. Frankly it's not a difficult as the Model X windshield in Crystalline. I would suggest getting the tint replaced if it's going to bug you, a less expensive option would be going to 3M Color stable, and because of the IR technology on the rear window, you still retain a good amount of heat rejection. For the best consistency like you stated, stick with Crystalline, but find an installer than can perform the job in one piece. It absolutely is possible.

8. doozenberg

doozenberg Member

Thanks. I had to go with a different installer. One single piece of Formula One Pinnacle 35. Looks slightly different but not noticable compared to the existing crystalline cr40 on the sides.

The original crystalline installer -- Jae at Specialized Auto Tint in Irvine: 949-331-9100 -- must either just lack skill or is simply an idiot; he continued to say it was impossible even after I showed him photos and told him other shops were doing it. He asked me to come back after I got the rear window tinted in one piece so he could see and prove to me that I am somehow wrong. Even after he removed my rear window tint, he then told me I was wasting my money by removing the partial tint off the rear window and going somewhere else. Did not offer me any sort of refund or consolation for my unhappiness with his work. Who does this? I won't be going back to waste my time with this guy just to prove a point and show him how his skill is inferior to competitors, but please be my guest to give him a call or pay him a visit to troll him if you'd like. You can even mention I sent you. But don't give him any money because he won't give you anything but grief back. Lol

• Informative x 1
  9. Fusion

Fusion Member

It's possible he just didn't want to order a new full roll. Lots of tint shops order a 60" roll and have it cut into two sizes that usually fit most applications.

10. OCD55

OCD55 Member

one piece installed rear windshield as well as front windshield no problem.. the soak shield is critical though so it doesn't leak into the front or rear windshield

11. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Does the 35% in the roof make it too dark? Can you still see through it? Pics?

12. scrapps

scrapps Member

I have 35% on my roof and I wouldn’t say it’s too dark. I’d argue what are you going to be looking at through your roof for the level of tint to really matter?

13. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

...what places did you go to and what was the end result..sorry if you mention in replies..I am ready thread from beginning..

14. gambit48

gambit48 Member

What did that include? Front windshield too? My last quote from them had them cheaper than Premier's $1700 or so (all 4 sides + back in 1 piece) by a couple hundred bucks or so. Wondering if they raised prices.

They're really pricey, but if you want Spectra Photosync, you don't have a lot of options. There are VERY few dealers, whereas Crystalline seems to be a dime a dozen. All the Spectra installers have EXCELLENT reps though.

15. mjp462

mjp462 Member

I believe the price was for everything, including the windshield.

Maybe they do excellent work, but $2,200+ for window tint is just insane, IMHO.

16. gambit48

gambit48 Member

That price is up from what I was quoted by them a while ago. It matches Premier's (Fremont) prices.

They're not hurting for customers from what I can tell though.

17. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I called a local place with very good reviews and he said "Oh no, I don't want to do that car, the rear window is too hard." Sure would be nice if Tesla made a rear window shade like the front roof shade.

18. gambit48

gambit48 Member

FWIW, the guy who tinted the prototypes did it in two pieces. I guess Elon isn't as picky.

19. Premier Mobile

20. Premier Mobile

Doing the windshield is certainly possible of all cars. There is a certain amount of prep work that is needed to ensure no water drips down to the fuse panels and computers. As for the Model 3 rear glass, it is quite a bit larger than a regular sedan's rear glass, which also means it is curvier. This increases the difficulty for all installers, so skill and experience here are important. Pick and choose companies that have done it before. If they ask to see your car first, then that means they have no experience with it....best to not be a guinea pig.