Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint - anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's interesting is that although I had Huper Optik on my S, the guy said they could not get Huper in a big enough sheet to do the 3 rear window. I am pretty disappointed, as I loved the Huper on my S. The Llumar is not as effective in terms of heat rejection. Anyone else run into this?

My Huper installer said he couldn't do it in one piece either. I can't remember the exact reason anymore. And he does a LOT of Tesla's too.

Llumar CTX has pretty unimpressive TSER specs. If you're concerned about heat, you might as well get one of the better films.

I want to do at least 20% in all windows, just not sure if it will be too hard to see at night when the mirrors are dimmed. Anyone else has shots of the tint jobs on their Model 3s?

IMO, I like the privacy aspect of 20%. The visibility is just dark enough that it's too dark. But that's because I scan CONSTANTLY for cops. I need the visibility in day and night. If you're just scanning to make sure where the cars around you physically are and aren't trying to look for hidden lights or anything, then 20% is fine. Night can still be tough if there's some moron driving around without lights though. I encounter those a lot. 30% is the darkest I've found that allows for enough visibility (especially at night) to scan for more detail like for cops and stuff. It's not enough for privacy though.

Reactions: FinrodNV
Has anyone noticed any temperature differences after installing the tint?

I had XPel Prime XR 35% all around and I was getting up to 130 in the car on 80 degree sunny days. I've since had the back replaced due to a crack and I'm waiting to get the roof/back re-tinted. Today I noticed it was over 80 degrees and sunny but the car only went up to about 95. I've not actually seen it go over 100 since (though it has been cooler).I saw a commend on YouTube where someone asked a similar question.

There are a lot of variables. Weather has to be exactly the same to compare. Did you tint the windshield? Even if you tint the rest, tons of heat gets in via the windshield. How long did you leave it sitting?

I've had Huper and V-Kool on my cars going back to 2003. Did cheapy limo tint before that. I've noticed a HUGE difference with the higher end stuff, but if you leave the car out long enough, it will still roast in the car. Particularly from heat coming in from the windshield (I sit in my car a lot). That said, even if you leave it parked outside all day (like at Disneyland or something), with the high end tint, black leather won't burn your skin. It'll be really hot, but you can still sit on it with bare skin and be fine. Without, I got burned just leaving it out for about an hour in 85 degree weather (was technically vinyl I guess; BMW's "leatherette" so real leather might have been slightly better?). The light tan real leather on my Lexus was WAY better at dealing with heat than the black in my old BMW before I tinted the cars.

I draw the line at the seats. I don't care too much what the temp inside gets. You open some windows or doors and that hot air dispels quickly. I care whether the tint keeps the seats from burning skin cuz it means I can just hop in my car in shorts right away even on a 115 day.

A few more shots of the Model 3 tinted with Spectra Photosync 35% Full Rear Glass / 45% Front Two / 75% Front Windshield.

1) Photosync 35% rear windows / Photosync 45% front two windows.
View attachment 286982
2) Front window tint in progress.
View attachment 286983
3) Front Windshield with Photosync 75% vlt for added Heat, UV, and Glare reduction.
View attachment 286984
4) Spectra Photosync 45%
View attachment 286986

5) One Piece Full Rear Glass with Photosync 35%.
View attachment 286981
im not sure if you have addressed this or not but i’ve Read that some owners had either the font or back windows tinted and they got water seeping into the trunk and frunk....is that really an issue and have you heard about it?

Wait, you're putting the tinting on the outside of the glass? I've always seen it installed on the inside of the glass.
It is on the inside...i believe they start on the outside to cmake the sizing correct and then install on the inside. I am not exaclty sure of the process, but I remember being told that was the process especially for the large back window of the M3 or the large windshield of the MX.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Auto Image has also done at least one of Elon's personal cars. Fwiw.

They are very professional and their price is very reasonable. Only issue with them as far as I'm concerned is they do the rear window in two pieces.
I just googled Auto Image and there is one in Santa Clara that came up but the recent customer reviews are terrible. IS this the same place you were referencing or is there another location?

I ended up getting ceramic tinting done with 35% on the sides and 20% in the rear and in the rear glass, did not tint the windshield. Shop did the rear in 1 piece, had experience doing the model 3s already and I had it all done for $500. First time spending extra on ceramic but it seems to keep the car cooler. My only concern initially with 20% on the rear was diminished visibility out of the top portion of the glass and while it is more tinted and darker now I can still see the sky in daylight.

IMG_20180525_152811.jpg IMG_20180524_170918.jpg IMG_20180525_121650.jpg

I ended up getting ceramic tinting done with 35% on the sides and 20% in the rear and in the rear glass, did not tint the windshield. Shop did the rear in 1 piece, had experience doing the model 3s already and I had it all done for $500. First time spending extra on ceramic but it seems to keep the car cooler. My only concern initially with 20% on the rear was diminished visibility out of the top portion of the glass and while it is more tinted and darker now I can still see the sky in daylight.

View attachment 304003 View attachment 304004 View attachment 304005

Looks nice, where did you have it done?