Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint - anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went here for my tint/ppf. I haven't seen any pictures from the inside of the M3 rear window tint with a 2 piece installation so I thought I'd post some. Your mileage may vary on the quality of work since this shop seems to know what they are doing. There is also a video on their yelp page showing how they do the two piece tint.

These pictures are taken from the front seat, the back seat, and a close up of the rear window. From the outside you can't tell at all, so not really worth posting a picture of that.

This is also with 18% on the rear window, so a lighter tint will probably be even less noticeable. The way it is, you really don't notice it unless you are in the back seats staring at the tint line up close.

I was just told from an installer in South Florida that they cannot do a one peice in Spectra PhotoSync. Anyone else experience this.

Trying to decide between 3M Crystalline and any other ceramic tint.

Just means they didn't want to order a new roll in a wide enough width to do it. Tell them once they do it and you post on the forums, they will get so much more business for being able to do it.

Just means they didn't want to order a new roll in a wide enough width to do it. Tell them once they do it and you post on the forums, they will get so much more business for being able to do it.

Exactly. In So Fla? Demand is there. They just need to invest. They don't have to have all the shades. The one I'm getting tint from only has the wide rolls for the rear in 35 and 45 shades. I can get the side windows in any shade %, but the rears are limited. Reasonable if you ask me.

Exactly. In So Fla? Demand is there. They just need to invest. They don't have to have all the shades. The one I'm getting tint from only has the wide rolls for the rear in 35 and 45 shades. I can get the side windows in any shade %, but the rears are limited. Reasonable if you ask me.

They flat out told me that they didn't make the material big enough. Makes me furious if that's the case. I don't think I would even go there if that's the truth.

Just rear window tint, factory on roof. Cannot see from outside the car.
2018-07-03_13-17-47.jpg

FWIW, I tinted even the pano roof area above the driver with 35%. It's DARK now. Not limo dark, but I thought it might be a little lighter. Helps though and it's nice to match the back rear window.
Yeah I did the tint on pano roof at 75% and even that makes a a difference in making it darker. I really wouldn’t go beyond 75% if you still want some semblance of light coming through the roof. Having said that, have not had an issue on any hot days.

FWIW, I tinted even the pano roof area above the driver with 35%. It's DARK now. Not limo dark, but I thought it might be a little lighter. Helps though and it's nice to match the back rear window.

Yeah I was afraid of that so I just did 50% and it's perfect -exaclty where I want it. The great thing about ceramic tints is that you could even do 100% transparent tint and you're still getting most of the benefits of heat rejection and UV rejection.

Yeah I did the tint on pano roof at 75% and even that makes a a difference in making it darker. I really wouldn’t go beyond 75% if you still want some semblance of light coming through the roof. Having said that, have not had an issue on any hot days.

Yeah, I mean, I like that it matches. It's pretty dark though. So much that I sort of think it starts to defeat the fun of having glass above you. I'll try to post pictures later.

Can you post pictures of what the pano roof over the driver looks like with the tint? It matches your 35% 1 piece rear glass?

Thanks.

Hopefully these show the difference between the windows. Nothing on front windshield, 75% on front side window, 35% Photosync everywhere else.

Attachments

• 62C27AE5-D185-4611-B876-F2C0A7192E4C.jpeg
    62C27AE5-D185-4611-B876-F2C0A7192E4C.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • 8EB433A8-9786-47F2-B453-A6B54ACD4F81.jpeg
    8EB433A8-9786-47F2-B453-A6B54ACD4F81.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,015
Just rear window tint, factory on roof. Cannot see from outside the car.
@Jimmy 1 Oops, sorry for the late reply. Looks awesome and I think it's close to what I want!

Two quick questions:
1) What % is your tint on the rear window?
2) How far up did you tell your installer to place the tint--is it just as far as the defroster lines go (or do the defroster lines go up even higher--I'm confused by the pic and the reflection!)?

@Jimmy 1 Oops, sorry for the late reply. Looks awesome and I think it's close to what I want!

Two quick questions:
1) What % is your tint on the rear window?
2) How far up did you tell your installer to place the tint--is it just as far as the defroster lines go (or do the defroster lines go up even higher--I'm confused by the pic and the reflection!)?
15% and there is a line where the roof tint starts, we stopped right at that line. If you continue the tint, the roof would be double tinted.

• Informative
Reactions: flyingpenguins