Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons for Wheel Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why people say that. I really can't see a difference.

18" rims mean I'll probably be able to get standard winter rims from Costco.

I was being a little sarcastic there. I actually do like the bigger wheels/low profile tires on most cars better, but I wouldn't take the trade off for them. The extra cost alone isn't worth it to me, and the performance hits you get on the tires makes it crazy IMO.

People have different tastes and different expectations when it comes to something they own.
Auto manufacturers have been making bigger and bigger wheels since alot of people think this is "cool" or "baller".
It use to be "make the wheel just slightly bigger than the size of your brakes for clearance purposes". But now you have everything riding around on 20"+ and have these tiny little brakes.
You can't beat physics. The further from center the weight is, the harder it'll be to turn, brake, accelerate, etc the wheel and tire.

I hope the 3 comes with 18's as standard. I wouldn't want to go any bigger. Even then, the oem wheel will probably weigh a ton compared to a decent aftermarket rim. Very few manufactures take the time to sweat the small details.

5, "Better handling" for larger rims is a dumb reason. It's true but not necessary for street cars. How many of you are drifting sideways around the corners while going into your local supermarket parking lot for shopping?

I drive a windy mountain highway at about 60 mph to work every day. I rarely drive to the supermarket. Cornering feel is one of my top criteria in choosing cars. That said, I felt the 19" tires on the Model S were perfectly sufficient.

Go ahead, you know you want them ... Forged Arachnid wheels with Michelin PSS tires for you Model 3 :cool:

IMG_6842.JPG

I don't really see the appeal of larger wheels, but if the aeros are the only 18" option, I'm definitely getting the 19". So my question is: With only a one inch difference, is there really going to be any noticeable performance/efficiency difference at all?

I don't really see the appeal of larger wheels, but if the aeros are the only 18" option, I'm definitely getting the 19". So my question is: With only a one inch difference, is there really going to be any noticeable performance/efficiency difference at all?

Efficiency, not much. Performance, it depends what you mean. 1 inch adds a lot to the sidewall of the tire, which is a big factor in eliminating road noise and bumpiness. I have no idea how much effect it would have on cornering, but I would think it would take some of the sloppiness out and you could probably feel the difference.

How many of you are drifting sideways around the corners while going into your local supermarket parking lot...

Not familiar with the term "supermarket", maybe that's the term for Tesla Supercharger stations with more than 40 stalls? In any case, every 1995 Honda Accord that pulls into my sushi bar driven by a 20-something guy does this. Standard parking procedure in SoCal.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
1 inch adds a lot to the sidewall of the tire, which is a big factor in eliminating road noise and bumpiness. I have no idea how much effect it would have on cornering, but I would think it would take some of the sloppiness out and you could probably feel the difference.

Not a tire guy, so a picture or drawing showing the "sidewall" and a brief explanation or link to a description of why the sidewall eliminates road noise and bumpiness would be greatly appreciated. 3rd grade level please.

I spend most of my life banging on a keyboard in virtual reality space, so the physical world and it's properties always seem a bit confusing and unreal to me.

RT

P.S. I saw a comparison somewhere and thought the bigger rims looked better. Smaller diameter being more efficient I get, sort of. Could aftermarket rims that we're much lighter improve range much.

Not a tire guy, so a picture or drawing showing the "sidewall" and a brief explanation or link to a description of why the sidewall eliminates road noise and bumpiness would be greatly appreciated. 3rd grade level please.

I spend most of my life banging on a keyboard in virtual reality space, so the physical world and it's properties always seem a bit confusing and unreal to me.

RT

P.S. I saw a comparison somewhere and thought the bigger rims looked better. Smaller diameter being more efficient I get, sort of. Could aftermarket rims that we're much lighter improve range much.

I can't find a picture and as I am on my iPad I can't create one. Here is a link to a popular mechanics article on it though.
The Pros and Cons of Low-Profile Tires

Reactions: RubberToe
Really old thread on this topic:
Different tires and wheels? Lower profile? Wider? Taller?
( Unfortunately most of the inline pictures are no longer available in that thread. )

Reiterating what others have said in this thread:
* Lower profile tires can offer "crisper" handling with steering changes responding more quickly.
* Lower profile tires have less room to absorb impacts, so can be more jarring on bumps & potholes.
* Lower profile tires give less wheel protection so are more prone to "curb rash" where one scrapes the wheel when parking.
* Lower profile tires tend to look more aggressive and many people like the appearance.

I think the "aero wheel" option will only be for the 18" wheels.
The 19" wheels are likely the more familiar "fan blade" style.

As much as I like the appearance and driving dynamics of a larger wheel, I might consider the 18" aero wheels because:
* Better aero for the car giving more efficiency and more range.
* Higher profile tire offering better comfort on bumpy roads.

With Model S and air suspension, the suspension can absorb a lot of the bumps that get through the lower profile tires.
But, Model 3 is coming with coil suspension, so it may be less forgiving on bumpy roads with the lower profile tires.

With all of the above said, there are other factors too, like type of tire, level of air pressure, etc.

Offroad race trucks tend to have very high profile tires due to bumps and holes in the road:
tire-truck1.png

Track race cars tend to have very low profile tires because the track is kept smooth and cornering capability is very important:
tire-car1.jpg
tire-car2.jpg

So, the quality of the roads you typically drive is a factor in what will work best for you.