Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebooting while driving with "Easy Entry" is dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stopped doing any thorough engineering for their use-cases a little while back. I update only for security reasons. My wife recently had to replace a side mirror due to not carefully reading the release notes in the morning (actually my daughter got in the car first and went straight to audio app dismissing the release notes). Tesla fixed the "new feature" next release, but mirror got broken because my wife's car was "lucky" to get the first, less thought out version.

All these things makes me think they outsource this to the lowest bidder.

Driving my model S today the audio stopped working :-( So I pressed the two scroll wheels to reboot the center screen. I was surprised that the seats started moving backwards to my easy entry setting!

I disabled easy entry :-(

Phil
You should definitely escalate this in your MyTesla Account:
CCF88F0B-7905-44CE-AD8A-534F2640F24C.jpeg

I wouldn’t even think to try a system reset while driving? That in itself seems dangerous.
First, it is needed when audio or navigation starts glitching. It used to be ok to reboot the big screen during driving. Second, on occasion I have had the main screen reboot itself while driving, I'd say 4-5 times since 2013 (two different cars too), so a little more than once per year on average. One of those time AP was on so I was a bit worried, but AP kept on working even though the big screen was rebooting and playing the AP-enage and AP-disengage sounds along the way.

Tesla stopped doing any thorough engineering for their use-cases a little while back. I update only for security reasons. My wife recently had to replace a side mirror due to not carefully reading the release notes in the morning (actually my daughter got in the car first and went straight to audio app dismissing the release notes). Tesla fixed the "new feature" next release, but mirror got broken because my wife's car was "lucky" to get the first, less thought out version.

All these things makes me think they outsource this to the lowest bidder.
Can you elaborate a bit? What happened to the side mirror? Did I miss some release note and now my side mirror is at risk?

Reactions: Xenius
Driving my model S today the audio stopped working :-( So I pressed the two scroll wheels to reboot the center screen. I was surprised that the seats started moving backwards to my easy entry setting!

I disabled easy entry :-(

Phil
I rebooted my touchscreen four times on my to work this morning trying to see what the problem was. The seat and steering wheel didn't move during any of these reboots. I rebooted while on my profile, on easy entry, on my profile with unsaved adjustments made, and on easy entry with unsaved adjustments made. Maybe they fixed it, or only older cars are affected. How old is your car?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: David99 and croman
I don't use easy entry because it does nothing for me. I keep the steering wheel as far as away as I can and the seat as far back as it goes. My knees still hit the damn MCU housing. So even if this was a glitch, it wouldn't affect me.

My wife is as tall as me and keeps my settings for everything, so its really a non-issue for us.

I did notice the X has a lot more legroom and my arms could comfortably extend....

On a similar note, I saw a video of driver's side rear passenger getting squished when easy exit was triggered.
A bit of common sense may be in order. I hav never seen a car that allows the user to configure the positions for entry. This is a powerful feature. With great power comes great responsibility. No need to disable it. Just be careful not to set it up to an extreme position that causes a safety risk. A ilittle moderation will go a long towards your safety as well as your passenger.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
I wouldn’t even think to try a system reset while driving? That in itself seems dangerous.

I have to do that every day because mine freezes up every day. The car drives normally. The screens are not the main system. They are subsystems that provide the UI and some extra software features. The car itself drives fine when rebooting even both screen at the same time.

Can you elaborate a bit? What happened to the side mirror? Did I miss some release note and now my side mirror is at risk?
Tesla added a new "feature" to automatically unfold mirrors when driving. Their most recent implementation is to do it above 10mph or some other threshold, however the first implementation was to unfold them as soon as the car starts moving. In one of the office buildings where my wife parks, she has to fold the mirrors to pull in really close to a wall and a concrete pillar. She usually squeezes into the car, then manually folds the mirrors, then backs out, then unfolds the mirrors and drives away. Well, as you can imagine, after the OTA update, the manually folded mirrors auto-unfolded as soon as the car started moving, and right into the concrete, breaking the mirror. :(

Not the first time a Tesla OTA endangered one of our cars. in October 2016 I went on a cross country drive, and applied an OTA just before leaving. When driving through humid Indiana in the middle of the night, the wipers couldn't keep up with the condensing fold on the outside of the front winshield, so I turned on the front defroster (double tap the front defroster, red icon says "HI"). Well, in that screwed up OTA the "HI" mode actually implemented a "LO" mode, so it ended up freezing my front windshield in no time leaving me doing 55mph through dark rural highway with trucks behind me and in opposite direction. I got really scared, opened the side window to stick my head out and managed to pull over. After some diagnosing, I realized the "HI" defroster air is actually ice cold, got onto TMC to warn others, but it was already found. Doesn't Tesla have some freaking QA? Apparently not enough to check things like this. They did fix it next release, just like the mirror unfold.

Things like the Easy Entry triggering while stopping to pick up people are just silly. It's not like Tesla invented this feature - it's been successfully implemented on my 2006 Lexus, so it's not revolutionary new stuff, yet they implement it in a bonehead way. Yes they fixed it in the next release, not completely yet (still pops up the "Easy Entry" profile which makes it hard to hit the Homelink because the menu disappears, plus somehow in my Lexus I just used the feature without being aware of it while on Tesla it's something one does notice, so Toyota obviously did it better if the driver gets to benefit from it but not have to pay attention to it). Now we find out there is another "quirk" to this Easy Entry feature which is not as benign as activating to stop to pick up passengers - doing this while rebooting the screen can be deadly. For all the "I will make driving safer" talk from Elon, I think he forgot "eventually self-driving-cars will save lives, but some people will be endangered in the process".

• Informative
Reactions: bro1999
A bit of common sense may be in order. I hav never seen a car that allows the user to configure the positions for entry. This is a powerful feature. With great power comes great responsibility. No need to disable it. Just be careful not to set it up to an extreme position that causes a safety risk. A ilittle moderation will go a long towards your safety as well as your passenger.

Somehow other manufacturers manage to get this right for over a decade. Telsa's implementation just shows no planning or testing.

I picked up my MS75D in mid December, and whilst driving on the motorway for the first time, the easy exit features activated without my pressing a button or resetting anything.
I informed Tesla who told me to re-boot the car, and not had a problem since, but it was a bit worrying when it happened.