Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On #7, go ahead and park at a gas station stall in one of your Teslas if there is no one waiting. Even if you sell your gasoline yard tools. We are now a 2 Tesla family (love the model 3), no ICE, and I do that all the time to wash the windshield. I even go inside to ask the cashier to turn on the air and water if I need to fill my tires or washer fluid. I figure I've contributed to the oil companies plenty over the years.
I can't bring myself to do that. When I get gas for my chainsaw I park away from the pumps and carry my gas can over. Like the OP, to me it just feels "wrong" to park an EV at a gas pump.

After my first bug-filled road trip, I purchased a window squeegee and carry it and a bucket in my trunk for cleaning bugs off of the windshield at Supercharger stops. No gas station visits for me unless absolutely necessary!

Reactions: nvx1977
I say ditch the Sonata. In the apocalypse my feeling is that electricity will be easier to come by with solar or wind. Gas and water seem like they will be tougher to come by based on my studies of the life of Mad Max.
As long as you have electricity, you can use a distiller to purify literally any type of water... including your own urine. I think water will be fine :D

Insurance - If you keep the Sonata you should be able to get a low-mileage discount from your insurer. A better/best option would be a pay-per-mile insurance policy where you only pay an amount based on the mileage you put on the car. That option may or may not be available in your area, you would need to do some research on that.

• Informative
It didn't occur to me that so many ICE drivers have no regard for EV charging spots. I guess I shouldn't feel so bad taking up a gas station spot. After all, filling gas cans is legit use of that spot.
I've only been ICEed once so far, although perhaps only once because I hardly ever use charging away from home. I didn't even feel that much anger because the sod had literally grown roots overtop of the cord on the Blink charger they parked in front of. I was able to park the one stall over (also a Blink, but that terminal was non-functional) and pull the cord out of the sod to reach over to me. Yeah they should really have just parked a few stalls down, where there were dozens upon dozens of empty stalls. But clearly this one received so little use, after years of being there, that the assumption it'd not be used was at least remotely understandable.

I'm actually 1 and 1 for being blocked by an ICE vs being blocked by a fully charged PHEV. A fellow GM compatriot had left their Volt plugged in past full charge at parkade "free charge with parking" stall. Again, I just parked in the next stall over (no charger), pulled the charger out of their car, let the honking run itself out, and plugged in my car. The cord was just long enough when I pulled up to the front of the neighboring stall.

I left them a friendly note (an actual friendly one, not a pissy one) letting them know what was up.

Last edited:
Teslas have hydraulic brakes so... just sayin
Yeah but you aren't allowed to pour it into your Tesla. :p

P.S. This, unlike the rest of that list, is something of a real issue depending on one's POV.

Well... i guess that also is open for interpretation - I mean I know what they want me to do (or not) but I bleed my own brakes in my Roadster etc (as I've done on nearly all my cars) so if I feel like it some day they will hard a hard time stopping me, plastic covers not withstanding :)

Reactions: GSP
Let me know what you figure out about your Sonata. My Sonata needs to meet a similar fate. Given that it was just hit by another driver (front bumper needs painting definitely, replacement maybe), I'm even more keen to get it out of my life.

Let me know what you figure out about your Sonata. My Sonata needs to meet a similar fate. Given that it was just hit by another driver (front bumper needs painting definitely, replacement maybe), I'm even more keen to get it out of my life.

I have a big scuff mark on the passenger corner of the front bumper. I got a touchup kit; going to clean that up and most likely put it up for private party sale.

I remember at the time I got it (early 2011) that the Sonata just got a facelift, and it looked amazing. The 2000s were all about the boring blob sedans, and Hyundai, trying to break out of its reputation of being a crappy knockoff brand scores a home run with the Sonata - stylish, affordable, and packed with decent luxury features. Couple years later, a bunch of the other manufacturers radically redesigned their mid/large sedans, some of them looking suspiciously like the Sonata.

@novox77 - Yeah, mine is the same - first year of the new body. It has been ok. I have to say, though, that OTA updates are one of the things I want most in the Model 3. The "infotainment" system, which provides little information or entertainment, is limited and buggy. The Model 3 will be such a breath of fresh air...

Well... i guess that also is open for interpretation - I mean I know what they want me to do (or not) but I bleed my own brakes in my Roadster etc (as I've done on nearly all my cars) so if I feel like it some day they will hard a hard time stopping me, plastic covers not withstanding :)
My understanding is that the Model 3/S/X brake fluid is like the coolant system, it requires that relevant sub-system be reset whenever it is opened before the car is willing to operate again. Tesla does not currently make the software tool to initiate that reset available externally, except to the handful of Tesla certified bodyshops.

p85d-under-the-frunk.jpg

This picture suggests otherwise: it's just a cap on a little tank of fluid, like every car I've ever seen. Ok it's an S not a 3 but that's only cause I didn't keep looking for a 3, but one of the videos that did deep dive into the car showed leads me to believe no big change there - and why would there be, it's tried and true.

Flushing the ABS bits is likely a different story, much like most modern cars - you need special magic to activate the pump to remove fluid from that sub system. That said, in all the cars that had that which I have owned and maintained, flushing the main system seemed to be fine (a little ABS activation via brake pedal/driving trickery) but of course, to each their own for their own car..

View attachment 291594
Flushing the ABS bits is likely a different story, much like most modern cars - you need special magic to activate the pump to remove fluid from that sub system. That said, in all the cars that had that which I have owned and maintained, flushing the main system seemed to be fine (a little ABS activation via brake pedal/driving trickery) but of course, to each their own for their own car..
Ah, that could be the root of my misunderstanding. Thanks for the info!