Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McRat,
Didn't you graduate in 1974 like me? ;)

RT

I'm still getting 'schooled' every day. But I could assemble a distributor with points/cap and dist cap, put in in, install 8 plugs, wire it, get the basic static setting, and fire it up in under 2 minutes on a test stand in 1975. 2 minutes was an A. We had to do the same with drum brakes for a grade. 18436572? That number is seemed to be imprinted in my brain. :D

I initially thought you were mistaken about the red stickers being required on all 4 sides. I know our white ones only required 3 sides. But I was wrong. OMG how ugly! Why?! Don't see why it's necessary. What's next? Plastering them on your windows too?

View attachment 287679

It's for cops sitting on the HOV-side of the road to be able to see the sticker. Something that could have been solved by *just making it a license plate*, and they'd have given an INCENTIVE for drivers to put on the front plate by doing so.

Of course I say this like they actually enforce the HOV restrictions regularly.

Reactions: Tezzie
8D47DC87-660A-42F6-96A6-AFF70B4D7A19.jpeg
Here's how it looks on silver

@gaswalla , looks like the silver Model 3's large and small are misplaced as well. So I'm just noticing for the first time that the Model 3's rear bumper starts up near the taillight and on the side goes up pretty high on the wheel area. Do you guys think that's better (less expensive repair cost) for rear end accidents?

The Model 3 doesn't really have great panel/bumper space to affix these stickers to, particularly at the front end. I don't see a "front" sticker on the Midnight Silver and there's really no "side" space for it to be applied there. Wonder if that's a small or large sticker shown on the driver's side there.

I hate we are having to trash our cars with all these stickers all over them (even if you use Xpel). I use to cringe at vehicles with all of the location bumper stickers all over them back in the 60s. I'll be using my Model 3 mostly in town but am sure my husband will take it for going to work during rush hour sometimes so will probably want us to apply for the HOV.

Thanks guys for posting the photos. Think we just need a black car and pearl white car to complete the paint line.

Last edited:
The Model 3 doesn't really have great panel/bumper space to affix these stickers to, particularly at the front end. I don't see a "front" sticker on the Midnight Silver and there's really no "side" space for it to be applied there. Wonder if that's a small or large sticker shown on the driver's side there.

That's a small one. As there is no corner on the bumper I chose to interpret the instructions in the way that I found the result to be least offensive to me. It's far to the right of the front bumper, so they can't be too mad at me I imagine.

@Az_Rael, I wonder how that will work though as the car is very curved in many of those areas. I would think better chance for them to fall off or be noticable enough if not flat and adhered and then stolen as a result. Using film I think will conture to the body of the car better.

@Az_Rael, I wonder how that will work though as the car is very curved in many of those areas. I would think better chance for them to fall off or be noticable enough if not flat and adhered and then stolen as a result. Using film I think will conture to the body of the car better.

I only need my HOV stickers every couple of months. So this is a solution for those who don't want them on the car the rest of the time.

Thought about that but

1. There's no steel in the bumper covers and
2. I'm not gonna spend that much time every day dicking around with it and
3. That's gonna end in scratches one way or another IMO.

1. There is steel on the trunk, which is where I am going to put it.

2. Again, this is a solution only if you occasionally need the HOV sticker, not daily

3. I have a full protective wrap, so no scratch worries.

For anyone interested in a temp solution:

Got my magnetic sheet in the mail today. Decided to test this out with my old S white stickers that I never put on my car while I wait for my red ones.

I will use these headed down to Van Nuys on Friday, will see how well they hold up to freeway speeds. I am not bothering with the front one.

20180320_202116.jpg
20180320_202056.jpg

Since the white EV stickers are expiring next year, people have to remember two things.

Cops will assume your car with no stickers is an EV that had its stickers expire and will pull you over.

Easily removable stickers can be stolen by people with old EVs (it used to happen with the old yellow Prius stickers when they stopped issuing them but they were still good).

yes.. a special front plate for HOV access.. simple idea that works - would eliminate all those fake HOV-access vehicles in LA/OC like the Prius and Civics with the green stickers (but actually are stock, ICE vehicles)
also, online application for HOV access also so that applications can be tracked and it wouldn't take 2+ months to cash a check, check a vin, and mail some stickers.

Or, they could simply ship with the plates for $22 extra fee!!!

Imagine if Amazon.com were run by CA DMV — order by paper form and check. Wait 2-3 months for package to arrive, only to have it returned 20% of the time for some minor error on the form (happened to me TWICE!). These people are absolute morons who like to do anything to keep their high-paying union jobs with full pension at age 50!

yes.. a special front plate for HOV access.. simple idea that works - would eliminate all those fake HOV-access vehicles in LA/OC like the Prius and Civics with the green stickers (but actually are stock, ICE vehicles)
also, online application for HOV access also so that applications can be tracked and it wouldn't take 2+ months to cash a check, check a vin, and mail some stickers.

Or, they could simply ship with the plates for $22 extra fee!!!

Imagine if Amazon.com were run by CA DMV — order by paper form and check. Wait 2-3 months for package to arrive, only to have it returned 20% of the time for some minor error on the form (happened to me TWICE!). These people are absolute morons who like to do anything to keep their high-paying union jobs with full pension at age 50!