Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New red stickers, you've got to be kidding.

I keep my stickers in the glove box as well. Have not had a problem in almost 2 years. No front plates since I moved to California 30 years ago. Never had a problem.

My theory is that I am offering law enforcement a free "look-see" since I can be "legitimately" stopped any time for these minor infractions. Either I have been lucky or perhaps most officers would rather spend their time going after real threats to safety and society.

Good to know. We'll usually be carpooling in the carpool lane anyway, might just be worth chancing it for now. I've never run a front plate on any of my cars for the past 20 years, hell, I haven't even been pulled over since I moved to CA 16 years ago. The easiest state I've ever driven in with regards to minimal hassle from law enforcement.

I came to this thread specifically looking for pictures of red-on-red, wondering if the red stickers would be a reason to go with a red car vs blue, but now I'm not so sure. They're ugly on any color, but it seems like trying to 'hide' them by making them all crooked and halfway under the car, wrapped around panels and trim, looks even uglier than just installing 'properly'.

It's for cops sitting on the HOV-side of the road to be able to see the sticker. Something that could have been solved by *just making it a license plate*, and they'd have given an INCENTIVE for drivers to put on the front plate by doing so.

Of course I say this like they actually enforce the HOV restrictions regularly.

Hm, I dunno. I like being able to choose my license plate. Then again, the stickers are ugly. Maybe I'd make that trade. Would be nice to at least have the option, I guess.

LOL! Rat, that's the best post I've seen in a while. Thanks! :D

In Arizona we just use a special license plate. It's not the nicest of color schemes, but it's simple and effective.

Well, Arizona has a head start on California intellectually speaking.

In California, we think we are so technologically advanced that we can alter the rotational position of the earth. In other words, we can force sunrise to happen earlier and later just by writing on a piece of paper. That's how powerful our state government THINKS it is. Sadly moving the hands on a clock based on written instructions neither speeds up, nor slows down the earth's rotation.

And in Arizona, they determined that in most police chases, the perp is driving forward, not reverse, so most cars don't need front plates.

In California, we tax your EV. Then we give some it back. Then we tax it again (pending for 2020). We overcharge you dramatically for your electricity, then offer $450 to $10,000 off the purchase of an EV from the electric company so you will use more power. How sweet!

As you have probably guessed, most our politicians are liberal arts majors.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Dirt gets trapped under the sheet and will mess up your paint. Have you seen the cars that have the magnetic advertisers on the side doors? Once they took them off there is literally a square of where the signs use to be.

I only put mine on for the hour or 2 while I am driving the HOV lane. Then it comes back off. I clean the surface with some ONR in a spray bottle and a microfiber first. And I only do that every other month or so when I actually need it.

The magnetic sheet solution is only for that kind of use, not long term or frequent at all. I think it is fine for that.

I only put mine on for the hour or 2 while I am driving the HOV lane. Then it comes back off. I clean the surface with some ONR in a spray bottle and a microfiber first. And I only do that every other month or so when I actually need it.

The magnetic sheet solution is only for that kind of use, not long term or frequent at all. I think it is fine for that.

I saw your post with the photos was a while ago. Is it still working out? I drive on the freeway rarely so I'd also like a temporary option like this.

No income limit for stickers. The income limit is for CA rebate.
Granted, the legislation was poorly worded (bad logic).

My opinion (not a lawyer)...
What they said was: If you make more then 150K you can't have both stickers and rebate. (true but misleading)
What they meant was: You can have both stickers and rebate, but if you make more than 150K you don't get the rebate.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I rest my case.

In theory the red ones are going to be extended.

…which is why I just did this, so I can easily remove them when they're no longer useful:

gMKM7Ow.jpg

gOkeNdm.jpg

0QMQ2Dc.jpg

zcrKR1J.jpg

What's that 3M film you got it? I saw is from Amazon? Could you share the link please? Thanks