Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t look as bad as I thought...

Red sticker on white for those that are curious... I’ve rolled with just 1 sticker on side just like this on my S for the past year without issues but of course your mileage may vary..

35DADAB5-3543-4827-82D8-24804E460DA0.jpeg

I will use these headed down to Van Nuys on Friday, will see how well they hold up to freeway speeds. I am not bothering with the front one.

For those looking for a temporary setup - I can confirm that this magnetic sheet does hold up to freeway speeds. I drove all the way down to Van Nuys, then forgot to take them off before leaving, so they ended up going through the car wash there too (oops). Only the rear one fell off in the wash, but the service guys found it and put it in my cupholder for me.

Stuck them back on and drove back to Palmdale with no issues.

For those looking for a temporary setup - I can confirm that this magnetic sheet does hold up to freeway speeds. I drove all the way down to Van Nuys, then forgot to take them off before leaving, so they ended up going through the car wash there too (oops). Only the rear one fell off in the wash, but the service guys found it and put it in my cupholder for me.

Stuck them back on and drove back to Palmdale with no issues.

Awesome! I just ordered the magnetic sheet. We rarely use the HOV alone, so this is a great solution. Thanks.

You can apply nonetheless for the rebate. Most of the time they don’t check income.

Eh, not worth the risk for me. The rules say you can be held in contempt for submitting false information, and the Terms you have to click through on the application list the income requirements.

I have a job with a security clearance, so if I got caught by the state falsifying my information (by getting a rebate when I knew I wasn’t eligible), I have to report that and possibly lose my clearance (and then my job). Not worth $2500 even if the chances of them auditing me are slim.

Besides, if I get a rebate when I wasn’t eligible that means someone else who was eligible may not get one as funds for the program are limited. So I will take my stickers instead and be happy I can still get those. :)

Eh, not worth the risk for me. The rules say you can be held in contempt for submitting false information, and the Terms you have to click through on the application list the income requirements.

I have a job with a security clearance, so if I got caught by the state falsifying my information (by getting a rebate when I knew I wasn’t eligible), I have to report that and possibly lose my clearance (and then my job). Not worth $2500 even if the chances of them auditing me are slim.

Besides, if I get a rebate when I wasn’t eligible that means someone else who was eligible may not get one as funds for the program are limited. So I will take my stickers instead and be happy I can still get those. :)
Didn't realize he was suggesting lying about the income, which IMO is pretty dumb for 2500

Didn't realize he was suggesting lying about the income, which IMO is pretty dumb for 2500

I don’t think you actually have to state your income on the form. But you do have to check a box that you understand all the terms, which you had to scroll down through to get to the box. There is also a big yellow box on the application telling you to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying with a link to those requirements.

I suspect in reality that unless lots and lots of folks are found to be applying when they aren’t eligible, the state won’t crack down on anyone. But I have to assume they have access to my state income return, so if that looks suspiciously high, they might decide to audit. And my personal situation with work makes that a way too risky proposition to attempt.

• Informative
Reactions: GayForEllon
I don’t think you actually have to state your income on the form. But you do have to check a box that you understand all the terms, which you had to scroll down through to get to the box. There is also a big yellow box on the application telling you to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying with a link to those requirements.

I suspect in reality that unless lots and lots of folks are found to be applying when they aren’t eligible, the state won’t crack down on anyone. But I have to assume they have access to my state income return, so if that looks suspiciously high, they might decide to audit. And my personal situation with work makes that a way too risky proposition to attempt.

I applied not too long ago. You do need to state your income and household income.

I don't think you would want to use magnets unless you don't mind having your stickers stolen, or lost. Then you have to file a police report to get new ones. The stickers were stolen on my volt so I haven't been using the HOV lane. Although I'm not sure if I could get away with it or not. You can clearly see where the stickers used to be since they left allot of material when they were removed. Sure would have been nice to have had them the last couple days.

I agree stickers look terrible but the benefit for me is huge so they will get installed, they can also increase the value of your car if you go to sell it. I was not at all interested in buying a used volt without stickers.

Sounds like my volt stickers won't be valid for much longer either. Hope I get my model 3 before January!
Here's how California's carpool (HOV-lane) stickers work now: updated. 1/2 the reason I bought the volt last month was for the stickers too.

Says white sticker vehicles will need to re-apply for red stickers and will only be valid if the vehicle was purchased in Jan 2017 or later.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA