Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...but people would rather whine about poor road conditions than pay to fix them so....

Jeff

That Express lane going on out hwy 580 to my cabin sure has impressed me. #1 it allows me to get out of town faster if I wanna pay for it, and #2 at the same time they have repaved the road from Dublin to practically the hwy 5 towards LA turn off. If the Express lane paid for that I am happy to have contributed. My 2000 Honda Insight were getting tore up by those roads.

-Randy

Reactions: jeffro01
Yeah, they just change the color and expire the old colors. Those yellow stickers looked good on the green Insight, but they are long gone. New colors keep coming out to bring new cars onto the roads. Once they do their job it's time to bring out another new color to attract new buyers.

-Randy

Assuming one qualify for the $2500 rebate, are the hov tags in lieu of the $2500 rebate or vice versa ? Or one person can qualify for both.

For EVs, it's best to treat the two separately. There's an income cap for the rebate, but not for the sticker. For fuel cells, however, you would have to choose if you're above the income cap. Scroll down to "Annual Income Requirements" for details: California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board.

Yeah, they just change the color and expire the old colors. Those yellow stickers looked good on the green Insight, but they are long gone. New colors keep coming out to bring new cars onto the roads. Once they do their job it's time to bring out another new color to attract new buyers.

-Randy
Actually, what they're doing this time, is true-ing up the stickers as of January 2019. Whatever color they next choose, that one will be the ONLY one that's valid, and it will last until Jan 1 2022 (3 yrs). This way, any white/green (or Red, I guess, if you don't apply and get the new color) sticker after 1/1/19 will be invalid, and only the new color will be good. Every year, then, my guess is that they'll have another color, and the cops will simply need to know that the Red Ones expire 1/1/22, the (next color) ones expire on 1/1/23, etc. Essentially, it'll just be new color stickers that roll over every three years.

Essentially, starting Jan 1, 2019, everybody who buys an electric (or, I guess also a plug-in electric) gets three years of express/commute lane privileges, and then that's it, you're done. Actually, that's the case now. Get an EV now, and you'll get privileges in the express/commute lanes until 1/1/22, and that's it, get out or pay after that . . . .

Does anyone know if in fact a new color will be coming out in January 2019?
I can’t bring myself to placing that red sticker on my beautiful silver Model 3.

I’ve even thought of photoshopping the red sticker to match the current white ones but I believe they are only good until January

Actually, what they're doing this time, is true-ing up the stickers as of January 2019. Whatever color they next choose, that one will be the ONLY one that's valid, and it will last until Jan 1 2022 (3 yrs). This way, any white/green (or Red, I guess, if you don't apply and get the new color) sticker after 1/1/19 will be invalid, and only the new color will be good. Every year, then, my guess is that they'll have another color, and the cops will simply need to know that the Red Ones expire 1/1/22, the (next color) ones expire on 1/1/23, etc. Essentially, it'll just be new color stickers that roll over every three years.

Essentially, starting Jan 1, 2019, everybody who buys an electric (or, I guess also a plug-in electric) gets three years of express/commute lane privileges, and then that's it, you're done. Actually, that's the case now. Get an EV now, and you'll get privileges in the express/commute lanes until 1/1/22, and that's it, get out or pay after that . . . .

...significant correction...if you get new stickers for a never stickered EV after 1/1/19, you get the 'fractional year' that the stickers were issues plus 3 calendar years. So if you can wait until 1/1/19 to apply, you get 4 years (expire 1/1/2023, not 2022). If you got stickers in 2017 or 2018, you can reapply, but your stickers expire 1/1/2022.

I see. So you don't get to "CHOOSE"? You either can get both or just the stickers if you make over the Gross limit. Is this correct?

Meaning, definitely apply for stickers....

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.10.54 AM.png