Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Accident- Sentry/Dashcam did not record the Accident!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30ACD205-93DA-4736-B642-A0B7085A9423.png

From the user manual

To customize how you want Dashcam to operate, touch Controls > Safety & Security and choose:
  • Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB flash drive (if available and installed) in situations where Model 3detects a safety event, such as a collision or airbag deployment.
    Note
    When Auto is selected, detection can vary and is subject to your vehicle's power, sleep, and Autopilot state.
  • Manual: You must touch the Dashcam icon to save a recording of the most recent 10 minutes of driving to the USB flash drive.
  • Off: Dashcam is disabled until you select Auto or Manual.
  • On Honk: When you press the horn, Dashcam saves a recording of the most recent 10 minutes of driving to the USB flash drive.
OK, I'm going to vent a little because I was just in a crash in our Model Y (minor thankfully - just short of airbag deployment, but the car did turn the hazard blinkers on, so I know that it knew something bad had happened), and it didn't save the video. I now see that I had the Dashcam set to Manual and did not enable Save on Honk, so yes I am an idiot. I could have sworn I set all that in V10, maybe V11 reset it? Mea culpa, ultimately.

But why, in the name of Grabthar's Hammer and the suns of Warvan, would anyone not want to save the dashcam footage for 5 minutes before and after an accident? The only reason I can think of would be that you are having so many accidents every day that your USB stick fills up with so many videos of accidents you don't want saved, that it's too full to record the accident(s) that you do want saved.

Why does Manual mode even exist?

Boy this is frustrating. I honked the horn, and pressed every button I could see where the "Save Dashcam" icon used to be in V10, but I still have no f-ing idea where it is in V11.

If Tesla is so concerned about filling up my USB drive with unwanted videos of accidents, maybe, after it detects that you were in an accident, it could have a huge pop-up on the screen that someone who was, I don't know, maybe a little dazed and confused because they were just in an accident, couldn't miss. Something that takes up 90% of the screen space and says:

It looks like you were just in an accident. Would you like to save the dashcam footage? (Yes) (No)
</rant>

/rant

But why, in the name of Grabthar's Hammer and the suns of Warvan, would anyone not want to save the dashcam footage for 5 minutes before and after an accident? The only reason I can think of would be that you are having so many accidents every day that your USB stick fills up with so many videos of accidents you don't want saved, that it's too full to record the accident(s) that you do want saved.
Yeah, I agree on this one. Elon keeps on about "the best interface/control is none at all" and considering how much stuff they hid in V11, not making Dashcam fully enabled/automatic all the time doesnt really make any sense to me either.

OK, I'm going to vent a little because I was just in a crash in our Model Y (minor thankfully - just short of airbag deployment, but the car did turn the hazard blinkers on, so I know that it knew something bad had happened), and it didn't save the video. I now see that I had the Dashcam set to Manual and did not enable Save on Honk, so yes I am an idiot. I could have sworn I set all that in V10, maybe V11 reset it? Mea culpa, ultimately.

Why does Manual mode even exist?

Boy this is frustrating. I honked the horn, and pressed every button I could see where the "Save Dashcam" icon used to be in V10, but I still have no f-ing idea where it is in V11.

If Tesla is so concerned about filling up my USB drive with unwanted videos of accidents, maybe, after it detects that you were in an accident, it could have a huge pop-up on the screen that someone who was, I don't know, maybe a little dazed and confused because they were just in an accident, couldn't miss. Something that takes up 90% of the screen space and says:

It looks like you were just in an accident. Would you like to save the dashcam footage? (Yes) (No)
</rant>

/rant
Very frustrating I am sure… this is the reason I have a BlackVue dashcam as backup. It is always recording while I drive. I only installed the front as that eliminates 90% of the install effort and covers 90% of the use case.

I need to go into my Tesla dashcam settings and check to see how it is set up. Thanks for the reminder!

The Tesla one DOES record, and Fred did capture the accident on video, even showed it to the cop, but then drove home an hour and when he got there the Tesla had continued to record OVER the video.

As usual I will be the Apple/Tesla apologist and say: They were gonna have to move the controls at SOME point, and in the months since xMas everyone who bought a new Tesla has never known another interface for the camera.

That said, I do like the idea of an Accident Mode, the one time they can break the rules about how all the car is there for is focused driving and for fun and games when stopped.

The Tesla one DOES record, and Fred did capture the accident on video, even showed it to the cop, but then drove home an hour and when he got there the Tesla had continued to record OVER the video.
Glad you mentioned that - yes, the cop did record the video on his cell before the Tesla deleted it. But that's not the point.

As usual I will be the Apple/Tesla apologist
Nobody likes an Apple/Tesla apologist (unless they've been friends with the Apple/Tesla apologist for over 40 years, so we're good).

Any company, like Tesla and particularly Apple, that prides itself on their reputation for being ahead of the curve and super user-friendly, deserves criticism when they implement something that is not user-friendly. Whether it's Steve Jobs saying "you're holding it wrong" or Randy Spencer saying "They were gonna have to move the controls at SOME point <so you were wrong for thinking the controls would be in the same place they used to be>", it's bullshit. They can change the location of the buttons that let me watch Netflix or pretend I'm in Santa's sleigh, but changing the location of the button that records what happens in accident is a big deal.

What about someone who just upgraded from V10 to V11, but before they could read about and experiment with V11 interface had to run pick up their kid who got injured at school, and had an accident - is it their fault their accident recording wasn't still there when they got the kid out of the ER 2 hours later?

You can love Apple and Tesla all you want, but still hold them accountable when they **** up.

and say: They were gonna have to move the controls at SOME point, and in the months since xMas everyone who bought a new Tesla has never known another interface for the camera.
That's both irrelevant and wrong. They didn't "have" to move the controls, and there were several options for them to make sure that moving the controls didn't leave an owner used to V10 unable to find the save button when they most needed it.

That said, I do like the idea of an Accident Mode, the one time they can break the rules about how all the car is there for is focused driving and for fun and games when stopped.
That was my main point. They have an "Auto Mode", where "Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB flash drive (if available and installed) in situations where Model 3detects a safety event, such as a collision or airbag deployment", which is exactly what I imagine your "Accident Mode" would do.

So why on earth is there a need or use for a "manual mode"?

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
I had a similar problem, someone cut me off I slammed on the brakes and honked my horn but the clip was never made. The option to save on honk is enabled. Then when I looked at the hour long clip you can see video up to a little before I honked and then the footage jumps to a little after, almost like the honk is stopping it from recording instead of recording. Luckily I didn't get into an accident though

It could be the USB stick is too slow for live operations. I remember lots of people here pointing out that you should be sure to get a quality (fast) USB stick for the capture of images. Not sure how you know if your stick is too slow other than it doesn't capture all the video that would have happened during the time it was plugged in.

It could be the USB stick is too slow for live operations. I remember lots of people here pointing out that you should be sure to get a quality (fast) USB stick for the capture of images. Not sure how you know if your stick is too slow other than it doesn't capture all the video that would have happened during the time it was plugged in.
Yeah, I had that problem with some of the sticks I initially used on my 2018 Model 3. But this is the Tesla stick that comes with new Teslas, so it should work fine. And the last hour of RecentClips look flawless.

Been trying some disk recovery utilities but no luck yet.

My wife was just in a car accident 3 hours ago - the other car ran a red light and hit her in a major intersection. Airbags deployed. Tesla service agents called immediately. Man who hit her was at her window yelling at her for running a red light (I heard this over the phone with her). So I made sure to get our USB drive out of the car before the tow truck took it away. Got it home and found the last recording stopped 10s earlier - ugh! Is there any chance of retrieving the final video before she was hit? Doesn't Tesla or the car have this somewhere? The car wouldn't let view anything or access much of anything due to current bad state of condition (it let me put it in Tow Mode). I just requested my data, but Tesla says that may take 30 days.

Appreciate any help! There was another 2 witnesses who saw what happened, but so much easier to have the video evidence to not have this become an issue with the police.

My wife was just in a car accident 3 hours ago - the other car ran a red light and hit her in a major intersection. Airbags deployed. Tesla service agents called immediately. Man who hit her was at her window yelling at her for running a red light (I heard this over the phone with her). So I made sure to get our USB drive out of the car before the tow truck took it away. Got it home and found the last recording stopped 10s earlier - ugh! Is there any chance of retrieving the final video before she was hit? Doesn't Tesla or the car have this somewhere? The car wouldn't let view anything or access much of anything due to current bad state of condition (it let me put it in Tow Mode). I just requested my data, but Tesla says that may take 30 days.

Appreciate any help! There was another 2 witnesses who saw what happened, but so much easier to have the video evidence to not have this become an issue with the police.
Quick update - Tesla wrote back that they will not send me my data request because I don't live in California:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are not able to fulfill your request at this time. As required by law, access to the data you have requested is only supported for vehicle registrants of specific locations such as the European Economic Area, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or if in the United States, in California. If you are a vehicle registrant of a currently supported location, please resubmit your request including information in support of your residency.

No step closer to having this missing video footage, if it actually exists, anywhere. The app says our car is still at the location of the accident though it was towed hours ago.

If the camera recorded the info into the drive and it was just deleted due to loop recording (1 hour loop), you can still recover the footage from the drive using Recuva:
Dashcam in Auto

Note I skipped the wizard and used deep scan. It will first scan to find files, and the mp4 files it finds would not have names, but it will be roughly in order. As per my post, there may be thousands of files, you can quickly parse through by only recovering every few hundred files, check the media created field to find the date. Make sure to recover the files to a different drive, not the existing drive.

Quick update - Tesla wrote back that they will not send me my data request because I don't live in California:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are not able to fulfill your request at this time. As required by law, access to the data you have requested is only supported for vehicle registrants of specific locations such as the European Economic Area, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or if in the United States, in California. If you are a vehicle registrant of a currently supported location, please resubmit your request including information in support of your residency.

No step closer to having this missing video footage, if it actually exists, anywhere. The app says our car is still at the location of the accident though it was towed hours ago.
This is why I have a Blackvue dash cam on the windshield also.

On latter part, that is how it works. The location does not update if the car is not driven (meaning wheels turning). That means if it is towed, the location will not update. People have been burned in the past expecting the location to update, when their car was actually towed.

unfortunate, and I know the last thing most of us are thinking of is hitting that save button. Equally as important is making sure you hold the dash cam icon down until it turns grey when removing the SSD. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the drive.
This doesn't matter or that is its a non-issue. With the current usb drive bugged firmware everyone has been unplugging/replugging hot usb drives for weeks w/o issue.

Officially this is insult to injury, never heard of a better example of the adage. Sorry it happened, w/o witnesses it's a he said she said, probably each insurance will cover the owner's car with a 50% responsibility. Hope they don't jack your rates like they would with a 49%/51% responsibility claim.

unfortunate, and I know the last thing most of us are thinking of is hitting that save button. Equally as important is making sure you hold the dash cam icon down until it turns grey when removing the SSD. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the drive.
**** me! I lost my accident video. Didn't know how to save or "eject disk" WTF? the video saves all the worthless sentry BS but loses accident footage!!?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ