Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Regen Reductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that in one of the most recent software updates (2018.12 +) , the regen effect seems to be rather muted/reduced from where it was previously. I prefer a strong regen and the closer I can get to one pedal driving, the better.

Although it definitely feels like regen has been reduced to me, my question is could it be possible that regen effectiveness is the same as before and they have somehow made it 'smoother' or more linear so that there isn't the really strong pull back effect in the first moments followed by a steeper fall off of regen and is simply more linear? Or is that wishful thinking and in fact regen has simply been reduced for sake of comfort.

Almost feels like I have regen on "low" now...but, sadly, I don't.

If this is the "new normal" then I hope they will be introducing a "Max" option in a coming update.

Reactions: Mobius484
I used Chill mode since it became available dec 2017. These days I switched back to normal because regen kicks in so slowly in chill mode. The absolute regen seems to be the same, but when you lift the foot it takes several seconds in chill to brake. In normal mode this a second or so, may be even less.

Currently I'm on 18.12.Can't tell if this behavior is new or has always been like this though.

Dan

Although it definitely feels like regen has been reduced to me, my question is could it be possible that regen effectiveness is the same as before and they have somehow made it 'smoother' or more linear so that there isn't the really strong pull back effect in the first moments followed by a steeper fall off of regen and is simply more linear? Or is that wishful thinking and in fact regen has simply been reduced for sake of comfort.
I don't have any hard evidence of this and this post just tickled my recent thoughts about regen and the 12 update. I don't think regen has been reduced once it is fully "allowed" but I have been thinking I am getting the regen limits shown on the dash for higher temperatures than I remembered before. Again it may just me coming out of winter driving and expecting all regen limits to be removed from my car.

I don't have any hard evidence of this and this post just tickled my recent thoughts about regen and the 12 update. I don't think regen has been reduced once it is fully "allowed" but I have been thinking I am getting the regen limits shown on the dash for higher temperatures than I remembered before. Again it may just me coming out of winter driving and expecting all regen limits to be removed from my car.

Yeah something is really off with regen in standard mode. It's not as hard of a pull as it was before. I know this because I'm using my brakes more often now to slow down proper, when before the hard pull of regen would do most all the work.

They definitely changed the dynamics of it. I think it is still hitting the same maximum but just feels alot different.

No idea why they would spend time on this when probably every Tesla driver is used to it when there are actual features that need to be fixed/created.

Reactions: Bebop
OP, Feels to me like at its peak, regen is the same as before. But it feels like it ramps up over a second or so.
I thought it was just my imagination until you posted- thanks.
I want it back to the way it was- more regen is better!

I had a 2014 loaner 85 S while mine was in the shop and it already had the recent updates and I though, wow, the regen feels different and less strong on this than my 75D. Since I had little to no experience with RWD Teslas, I chalked that up to less motors = less regen. But then I got my car out of the shop, it had been updated the latest software. Driving it off the Tesla store lot, I immediately felt my regen feel weaker - pretty much the same (give or take) as the RWD 85 I had returned 10 minutes earlier.

Would love it if anybody had noted the graphs from the energy usage previously and now to provide data that would show if the regen energy returned to the battery is the same and just the "profile" of the regen curve has been modified/smoothed...or whether we are actually getting less regen like it feels like.

Even if it is the former (just the profile/curve has changed but energy re-capture is exactly the same)...I still prefer the strong regen feeling myself.

I'll say it again..if this is the new "Normal", I'd love to see a new "Max" or "High" option that would be even stronger than the previous "Normal" - if that is possible. And take it one step further...have an option for one pedal driving. Basically instead of regen cutting out at around 5-8 mph like it does now, have the car just "simulate" regen braking all the way to a stop. So behind the scenes the car could be lightly and linerally using the friction brakes to stop the car from 5 mph all the way to 0 rather than having you have to use your foot to stop that final bit.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 1.10.42 AM.png

Reactions: Bebop
So I think I have to walk back my statement a little bit. On the graph, it still seems to be hitting the same max of 53kwh but it doesn't slow the car down as much. I am definitely noticing I'm using my brakes more.

So I don't know if the goal was to make it more smooth, or if they wanted us using our brakes more but I wish we would have had the option.

Maybe Tesla collects data and has determined that softening the regen curve actually reduces energy waste on average.

Stiff regen promotes using those big green recharge swings to slow you down, making you feel "good" about not using friction pads. But it's actually bad that you had to use regen at all instead of coasting more gracefully down to rest. Real efficiency goals would be to keep both orange and green arc swings to a minimum. If drivers will knowingly have to brake more to come to a stop and if they're concerned at all about energy conservation (range)... they will slow down.

So softening regen promotes more moderate driving: less acceleration and slower speeds.

As a result you go further per charge cycle.

I had a 2014 loaner 85 S while mine was in the shop and it already had the recent updates and I though, wow, the regen feels different and less strong on this than my 75D. Since I had little to no experience with RWD Teslas, I chalked that up to less motors = less regen. But then I got my car out of the shop, it had been updated the latest software. Driving it off the Tesla store lot, I immediately felt my regen feel weaker - pretty much the same (give or take) as the RWD 85 I had returned 10 minutes earlier.

Would love it if anybody had noted the graphs from the energy usage previously and now to provide data that would show if the regen energy returned to the battery is the same and just the "profile" of the regen curve has been modified/smoothed...or whether we are actually getting less regen like it feels like.

Even if it is the former (just the profile/curve has changed but energy re-capture is exactly the same)...I still prefer the strong regen feeling myself.

I'll say it again..if this is the new "Normal", I'd love to see a new "Max" or "High" option that would be even stronger than the previous "Normal" - if that is possible. And take it one step further...have an option for one pedal driving. Basically instead of regen cutting out at around 5-8 mph like it does now, have the car just "simulate" regen braking all the way to a stop. So behind the scenes the car could be lightly and linerally using the friction brakes to stop the car from 5 mph all the way to 0 rather than having you have to use your foot to stop that final bit.
Untitled.png

You're missing a setting: OFF.

I'm actually a fan of lighter regen on highway, I always flick it to LOW for road trips. More efficient use of momentum is to keep rolling.

Around town I flick it to standard because stops are less predictable.

But when you can see miles ahead I wish there was a way to turn it off completely. I would. Much rather coast down hills gaining free speed to make the next rise, rather than regen on way down and spend new energy crawling back up. Admittedly, with regen off I'd be traveling with much more variable speed.

(Anybody know a sneaky way to defeat it, like cut a wire / pull a fuse?)

Last edited:
View attachment 297925
But when you can see miles ahead I wish there was a way to turn it off completely. I would. Much rather coast down hills gaining free speed to make the next rise, rather than regen on way down and spend new energy crawling back up. Admittedly, with regen off I'd be traveling with much more variable speed.

(Anybody know a sneaky way to defeat it, like cut a wire / pull a fuse?)

I'm not entirely sure how that would work. Would this be for AS/TACC or just normal driving? For the former, it's going to try to maintain speed, presumably using the brakes if regen isn't cutting it. For the latter, you could just not lift the pedal all the way when going downhill.

EDIT: from your signature, it looks like you don't have AS/TACC, so the latter it is.