Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent windshield replace by anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hail and heat have destroyed the windshield on my 2018 X. Old threads seem to indicate that Tesla no longer replaces glass...Safelite is recommended...and camera must be recalibrated at Tesla. I am getting conflicting info from Safelite and local Tesla SC...anybody have recent experience with this nightmare?

so I have recently had my windshield replaced because of a huge rock chip and tesla sc replaced the windshield...2 months later i have yet another crack and replacing my windshield and this time i am going to get it replaced at an authorized tesla body shop because there are other damage. however i do believe the sc would have replaced the windshield again and it was about $1400.

as for the calibrating it is all done automatically I believe...last time they told me to drive about 50 miles and should be done calibrating which it was actually less. but during that time i was not able to use autopilot.

Tesla is starting to in-house repair more and more now instead of referring people to body shops. Turns out service on non warranty items is a a good racket.

Tesla Fremont and Sunnyvale are now doing glass replacements. 6/12 my wife’s X windshield $1500 and change. Sunnyvale my Model S Rear door window on order $250 from a breakin. Had a bent regulator channel too

Expect Tesla to in house service more and more, it’s a cash cow out of warranty

My local SC in Raleigh NC did the windshield replacement for my X. Had to wait 5 days for an appointment and according to service invoice it looks like the repair took an hour and 20 minutes, but labor charge was $437.50. That is well above their stated hourly shop labor rate of $175/hour. Windshield cost was $10.25. Cash cow indeed.

About 2 months ago, I had my windshield replaced under warranty because of a stress fracture (2017 X). The Sunnyvale SC just had a 3rd party come to my work and to the replacement right there in the parking lot. Very convenient. No camera calibration needed.

I'm having an issue. Cracked windshield.
Local SC gave me an estimate of $1535. Didn't have a line item for camera recalibration.

My insurance, allstate, sources windshields to safelite. Safelite said has to be done at tesla dealer.

My tesla dealer said they don't deal with insurance.

Insurance agent said looks like I'll have to pay cash and then seek reimbursement.

Anyone can shed light on this please.

Appointment tomorrow....

considering Model 3 windshield is about $1000, the Model X price seems reasonable.

Not worried about price. It does seems reasonable. Insurance should be paying.

worried about all the other issues.

also insurance says that they pay for 2017 glass, not new, if it’s an oem part. I told them I don’t think they make aftermarket for Tesla he says right they don’t. But insurance still only pays for USED oem parts. Wtf?

I had my 2017 MX windshield replaced back in December 2019.
Had to pay $1500+ up front since Tesla doesn’t deal with insurance.
Progressive sent the check within 2 weeks. I opened the claim before I had the repair done, everything was approved right away, sent the invoice via email.
No deductible in Florida...