Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recirc automation - Please Tesla help...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please help customers to not die in bad air, or to avoid pushing buttons like crazy.

-This only affects Models without the big Hepa Filter-

What’s the problem ?

1. Bad Air quality because of other cars driving in front of you

2. The recirculation button is hidden in the climate menu

recirc.JPG

How to solve it?

The simple way:

- Add the recirculation function to the scroll button menu on the steering wheel, or add a touch button in the permanent menu (big touch screen) at the bottom.

The perfect way (only as bonus to the solution above):

- Software controlled for all AP1 Model S, by radar.

- How: If a car driving in front is detected by the AP (distance 0 meters -> to 70 meters), simply activate the recirculation airflow automatic. If no car ahead, or far away (70m+) reactivate the normal airflow (fresh air intake).

- This function needs on/off switch hidden in the settings menu

Why is that SO important?

Well, in winter (yes it’s real, winter is there in some regions) you have to push that button ridiculously often, because of the poor air filtration (old Models without big HEPA!) and because of that dirty diesel cars. Oh yes, in the US there aren’t many, but in Europe they are the masses and – as you know – they aren’t as clean as they told us. AND: the particle-filtration is automatically turned off at lower temperatures; therefore it is a really big problem in winter!

Deutsche Umwelthilfe enthüllt schmutzigste italienische, französische und deutsche Diesel-Pkw mit über 13-facher NOx-Grenzwertüberschreitung
or
Google Übersetzer

The only workaround today is to push that hidden recirculation button. Then after some minutes the windows get foggy from the inside and you need to reopen the airflow again. This procedure has to be repeated every time the air seems clear (no car ahead), to not go blind by the fog, or simply die by polluted air.

Higher air pollution health risk inside car, study finds - Air Quality News

Polution.jpg

Questions that could be asked:

Why don’t you buy a new model with Hepa Filter?

There are people who bought the model S as their first and only car - like us - and can’t buy a new one every 2-3 years, or weren’t lucky at the referral lottery till today. Fingers crossed. ;-)

Why is this now a problem and not 2 years ago?

It was and I told others, but maybe not the right persons.

Who cares - some sissies from Europe less? They invented that bloody diesel in the first place!

Well, there is no argument against that. ;-(

I really love our model S!

It is the best car ever owned, but it can get even greater with some programming, so:

Please Tesla, if you read this, add something like the solutions, I pointed out, in an upcoming update?

Thanks and all the best for a smooth M3 launch!

Earl

Last edited:
Another option would be to have it controlled by voice command. There are many functions that need to be controlled by the driver, but the control is hidden in the menus. Air suspension height comes to mind.

They have the ability to do voice commands, but only use it for a few trivial actions.

Reactions: Joe F
There are threads on this...basically this changed with 8.0 and you have to set the fan to 4 or higher for recirc to stick. They also changed the way the airflow is modulated so, all else equal, you've got to set the fan to a higher level (i.e. louder) than previously to achieve the same level of cooling.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
There are threads on this...basically this changed with 8.0 and you have to set the fan to 4 or higher for recirc to stick. They also changed the way the airflow is modulated so, all else equal, you've got to set the fan to a higher level (i.e. louder) than previously to achieve the same level of cooling.

Thanks for the advice, but 1) as I pointed out, the problem is mainly in cold* conditions, so cooling is not an issue while it is cold* and 2) setting the fans to disturbing high levels is not an option. Because that is loud and you suck (or circulate) more air, which I want to avoid in both modes (recirc on/off).

*What is cold? 5°F - 50°F. outside, which we have several months here.

Greetings Earl

Last edited: