Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend an Android phone that works >99% with phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% reliable, instant door unlock since November 2018 Model 3 purchase:
Galaxy S7 Edge
Pixel 2
Nexus 6 running LineageOS 15.1

Unreliable, annoying, often needs airplane mode toggle or unlock via app:
Nexus 6 on stock OS
Nexus 5x on stock OS

Maybe the Android 8 bluetooth stack is better suited for use as a phone key.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and have only had my M3 for a week and a half and have had 2 issues. One time it would not let me open the door and this morning the doors unlocked but it asked me to put my key card on the console to start. I had to use the airplane mode on/off trick and it came right back.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and have only had my M3 for a week and a half and have had 2 issues. One time it would not let me open the door and this morning the doors unlocked but it asked me to put my key card on the console to start. I had to use the airplane mode on/off trick and it came right back.
Same happened to me w my iPhone 6S but it stopped doing that after a week or two.

I will add one follow up. My Pixel 2XL has never failed to open the car, but I did notice something recently. I generally have the phone in my hand or in a jacket pocket and it always works fine. The other day I was carrying a Microsoft Surface and the phone together in one hand. When I got to the car, it wasn't unlocked which surprised me. The way I was carrying the phone and Surface placed the Surface between the car and the phone. As soon as I rotated my hand so that the phone had line of sight to the car, it was unlocked and ready to go. So, obstructions between the car and your phone, including your body most likely, could prevent the car from opening even if they are very close.

I will add one follow up. My Pixel 2XL has never failed to open the car, but I did notice something recently. I generally have the phone in my hand or in a jacket pocket and it always works fine. The other day I was carrying a Microsoft Surface and the phone together in one hand. When I got to the car, it wasn't unlocked which surprised me. The way I was carrying the phone and Surface placed the Surface between the car and the phone. As soon as I rotated my hand so that the phone had line of sight to the car, it was unlocked and ready to go. So, obstructions between the car and your phone, including your body most likely, could prevent the car from opening even if they are very close.

I wonder how a traditional key FOB works when held behind the Surface?

My wife and I both have pixel 2 and it's annoying. Works in my pocket or her purse about 10% of the time. Works 80% if I take phone out of pocket and the screen turns on (phone still locked) 10% it just doesn't care at all and I have to use the notification to do an unlock.

Update to my own post, finally just gave in and got rid of the Pixel 2 (non-xl). I'm afraid to jinx it, but I got a Pixel 3 (non-xl) and it's worked every time in the last 2 days. In my back pocket, doesn't matter which door, it's been perfect. It's like magic...

Update to my own post, finally just gave in and got rid of the Pixel 2 (non-xl). I'm afraid to jinx it, but I got a Pixel 3 (non-xl) and it's worked every time in the last 2 days. In my back pocket, doesn't matter which door, it's been perfect. It's like magic...

LOL. Yeah when it works 100% like that.. it is like magic. Now whenever I drive my wife's Model X... I wish it would work just like the 3 and I don't have to carry the fob. I even got rid of my house key by getting an August Lock. Now if I lost my phone, I am locked out of my car and my house and I can't call anyone for help! LOL.

I just got my new (used) Samsung Galaxy S7 Active and so far I'm 100% (4/4) with no delay at all. If this continues working like this then I'll be super happy since phone key has been the worst thing about Model 3.

Also, Bluetooth calling never worked with my old phone and it does now!