Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend to buy Model 3 in Minnesnowta? Or wait for probs to be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister-in-law is beginning to shop for a new car and is mildly interested in a Model 3. I'd planned to encourage her in that direction but recent reports of problems opening doors and closing windows and not being able to get the charge door open in cold and snowy climates have me concerned. I'd hate to push her towards a Tesla and then have her end up with a bunch of issues. Her car stays outside all winter BTW.

Are the issues real or one-offs getting reported as real?

She and my wife are from a family of gearheads. They love my S but I'll never hear the end of it if she has problems with her 3.

Thanks,

Reactions: adaptabl
My August build has been quite problem free, minus USB going out, but that seemed isolated.

As for door handle, I noticed it once already and it has barely started to dip into the 20s...

If she will nitpick or be frustrated by small bugs, it may make sense to wait. They are 90% there, but if that 10% caannotbe looked past, then she will probably be frustrated. I kvoe the car and think it is the best car made so far, full stop. But it does have faults and missing some silly features everyone else has (oh *sugar* handles, 360 camera, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, ext).

I think that 10% that they are not there is going to be a big issue if they cannot look past it. Mainstream buyers do not have the tolerance most people on these forums have. I just hope they fix that 10% quick!

Most of the reported cold weather issues related to sticking doors, windows not descending etc can be easily and pleasantly solved by preheating the car, something not so easily done remotely in most ICE vehicles.

• Disagree
Most of the reported cold weather issues related to sticking doors, windows not descending etc can be easily and pleasantly solved by preheating the car, something not so easily done remotely in most ICE vehicles.

NO NO NO.

Sorry :) I've been reading the other posts and this is really infuriating to me. Yes that works as a bandaid, but no, it is not a solution. I should be able to get into my car. For me this is not feasible.

Few scenarios:

• I have a very crazy schedule and have client meetings that I never know their exact length, thus cannot judge.
  • Also, in the middle of my meeting, I am not pulling out my phone, waiting 30 seconds to a few minutes for it to wake up, to preheat.
  • Or the fact I have no cell coverage in my parking garage (granted it is warmer).
  • I have to leave the office suddenly for meetings often.
  • I have no home charging or work charging, this wasting a few % a few times a day, means even more charging (I am averaging about 1000 miles a week right now).

Yes these use cases are specific to me and not true for everyone, but some apply to some other people. Thiss is my point on the 10% that Tesla is missing. Do you think someone who has been able to open their car door reliably every day of there life for 30 years is going to be okay now having to plan to open an app and remote start Everytime? That is a ridiculous requirement if so and mainstream will rip Tesla apart for that, and rightfully so.

/Rant :)

Last edited:
Car parts, including door handles, sometimes freeze in New England. I imagine the situation is similar in Minnesota. It’s occasionally aggravating, but you learn to deal with it and then spring arrives. It happens to ICC vehicles too.

I’d advise her to take advantage of the full federal tax credit and order a Model 3 by Dec. 1. She won’t regret it.

• Disagree
Car parts, including door handles, sometimes freeze in New England. I imagine the situation is similar in Minnesota. It’s occasionally aggravating, but you learn to deal with it and then spring arrives. It happens to ICC vehicles too.

I’d advise her to take advantage of the full federal tax credit and order a Model 3 by Dec. 1. She won’t regret it.

This is where I disagree. Yes occasionally it happens with precipitation, very deep cold, ext. But that's the anomaly not the norm. Typically I will have a frozen handle 1 or 2 times a season, when there is precipitation. Not nearly daily unless you run the app ...

I think the lack of a heated steering wheel will put her off sufficiently enough.

I agree w/ @Nate977p on pre-heating not being such a good solution. There are dozens of times each winter when I have to get in a cold Model S that has not pre-heated. Sometimes this is due to something suddenly coming up and sometimes because I simply forget to turn the heat on 30 minutes before leaving. Tesla has been good about fixing stuff like this and I assume they will for this one as well but if a lot of people in cold/snow environments have these problems and their friends and family see them having these problems, even though nothing to do with the car being electric, it will have a negative impact.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
That is not at all the norm. It was through maybe the 1970's but most cars since then, except some American cars, have not generally had problems.

I don't understand it either when for an EV it makes more sense to heat small areas, e.g. the steering wheel and seats vs. the whole cabin.

Ah well, M3 is not perfect but it's positives are so good that it more than makes up for faults. In the long run we'll probably look back and laugh at how rudimentary the car is but it surpasses ICE vehicles handily unless. Tesla really needs to make a wagon with a bit more ground clearance ala allroad though. That would be the game changer.

NO NO NO.

Sorry :) I've been reading the other posts and this is really infuriating to me. Yes that works as a bandaid, but no, it is not a solution. I should be able to get into my car. For me this is not feasible.

Few scenarios:

• I have a very crazy schedule and have client meetings that I never know their exact length, thus cannot judge.
  • Also, in the middle of my meeting, I am not pulling out my phone, waiting 30 seconds to a few minutes for it to wake up, to preheat.
  • Or the fact I have no cell coverage in my parking garage (granted it is warmer).
  • I have to leave the office suddenly for meetings often.
  • I have no home charging or work charging, this wasting a few % a few times a day, means even more charging (I am averaging about 1000 miles a week right now).

Yes these use cases are specific to me and not true for everyone, but some apply to some other people. Thiss is my point on the 10% that Tesla is missing. Do you think someone who has been able to open their car door reliably every day of there life for 30 years is going to be okay now having to plan to open an app and remote start Everytime? That is a ridiculous requirement if so and mainstream will rip Tesla apart for that, and rightfully so.

/Rant :)
Sorry, but I must disagree with you too.The problems arise for the Model 3 just as they do with many ICE. When the car is cold-soaked, especially with snow, the window drop and door handles can freeze. I have had that myself when i lived in inclement climes and encountered the same problems. Preheating is needed only when the car is cold-soaked. During the day, after the initial heating one would need to stay a very long time to encounter the problem again. It is not to say it could not happen, but in those areas where that is likely there are often block heaters in parking spots that can be used to offset re-preheat usage (of course most places where that problem might be frequent are very cold areas where ICE need block heaters. For people who've never had a modern car with window drop to facilitate door opening and closing, much of this is irrelevant. For them it is mostly just freezing door locks. I used to have that problem with a BMW 535, and carried a small fireplace lighter to open the locks and defrost door seals. Frankly, I detested that process, but moving to a sub-tropical location did solve it for me. Sadly, many people must still endure those misfortunes. Anyway, the Model 3 is one of the few that such a morning preheat can easily be used to eliminate the problem. Really, do you have that problem when your car is in a closed parking garage, even if unheated? If so, this could be a different problem than I understand it to be.

That is not at all the norm. It was through maybe the 1970's but most cars since then, except some American cars, have not generally had problems.

Generally, the Model 3 doesn't have this problem either.
It does happen, on occasion, to some people. To others, it hasn't happened yet (I'm in that camp, had the car since February).
If your sister parts the car in a garage (heated or not) it should do fine.

IMO, the lack of a heated steering wheel is a bigger issue than the occasional frozen handle or window.

Sorry, but I must disagree with you too.The problems arise for the Model 3 just as they do with many ICE. When the car is cold-soaked, especially with snow, the window drop and door handles can freeze. I have had that myself when i lived in inclement climes and encountered the same problems. Preheating is needed only when the car is cold-soaked. During the day, after the initial heating one would need to stay a very long time to encounter the problem again. It is not to say it could not happen, but in those areas where that is likely there are often block heaters in parking spots that can be used to offset re-preheat usage (of course most places where that problem might be frequent are very cold areas where ICE need block heaters. For people who've never had a modern car with window drop to facilitate door opening and closing, much of this is irrelevant. For them it is mostly just freezing door locks. I used to have that problem with a BMW 535, and carried a small fireplace lighter to open the locks and defrost door seals. Frankly, I detested that process, but moving to a sub-tropical location did solve it for me. Sadly, many people must still endure those misfortunes. Anyway, the Model 3 is one of the few that such a morning preheat can easily be used to eliminate the problem. Really, do you have that problem when your car is in a closed parking garage, even if unheated? If so, this could be a different problem than I understand it to be.

I appreciate the civil disocurse here instead of it turning to attacking each other (as other threads seem too:)).

On the garage point, that is an exaggeration on my part I appoligoze for. It is enclosed and typically stays above freezing, so I do not anticipate it being an issue, but it it becomes one, I do not have any service to the car.

As for the cold soaking, I disagree. The one time I experienced this so far, I had driven for 3 or 4 hours, parked for an hour in about 30° F temp, and the door was stuck opening. No precipitation at all.

I also owned a frameless door car, a Scion FRS (aka Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ) for 50-60k miles (forget now) and drove it in any and all snow storms (studded Nokians and aaLSD FTW). I can only remember a handful of times the latch stuck, most after very wet precipitation (rain, ice, sleet, ext). This was not a common problem I had on that car or others.

I can tell you I do not know anyone who has to car tools to daily get into their car.

I think we can agree that the mass buying public expects to be able to get into their car 100% of the time and can tolerate when it doesn't work during certain circumstances (heavy snow, ice, freezing rain, ext). But if it becomes common during normal winter circumstances (i.e. no precipitation and not super freezing cold) there will be frustration and harm done to Teala's reputation.

I also ask where you are located. You mention block heaters; this is not a common thing in much of the US; i can say I do not know anyone in NE that has one or would even know what it is, minus some diesel cars and heavy trucks. I know they are internationally (I tried to get one on my Audi, EU has them, not even in parts catalog in US), but not most of the US.

Thanks for the thought discussion!

I think the lack of a heated steering wheel will put her off sufficiently enough.

I agree w/ @Nate977p on pre-heating not being such a good solution. There are dozens of times each winter when I have to get in a cold Model S that has not pre-heated. Sometimes this is due to something suddenly coming up and sometimes because I simply forget to turn the heat on 30 minutes before leaving. Tesla has been good about fixing stuff like this and I assume they will for this one as well but if a lot of people in cold/snow environments have these problems and their friends and family see them having these problems, even though nothing to do with the car being electric, it will have a negative impact.

Exactly my thought. The lack of a heated steering wheel boggles my mind. It is something that has become such common place that it will hurt sales for such a simple feature!

Exactly my thought. The lack of a heated steering wheel boggles my mind. It is something that has become such common place that it will hurt sales for such a simple feature!

Agreed. My Leaf had one, and it cost half what the 3 cost. At first I thought maybe for whatever reason they just didn't have the heated wheel ready in time when I got my car (224XX), but it's still MIA. Very bizarre for a premium vehicle.

Ah, well. The 3 is still amazeballs.

As for the cold soaking, I disagree. The one time I experienced this so far, I had driven for 3 or 4 hours, parked for an hour in about 30° F temp, and the door was stuck opening. No precipitation at all.

I can tell you I do not know anyone who has to car tools to daily get into their car.

I also ask where you are located. You mention block heaters; this is not a common thing in much of the US; i can say I do not know anyone in NE that has one or would even know what it is, minus some diesel cars and heavy trucks. I know they are internationally (I tried to get one on my Audi, EU has them, not even in parts catalog in US), but not most of the US.

Thanks for the thought discussion!
I agree with all of this post. That you had problems at 30° changes the issue completely. That certainly should not happen. If taht really is a common thing I think Tesla will probably fix it pretty quickly, as they have done with myriad S and X problems.

FWIW, I now split my time between Rio de Janeiro and Miami, FL. Here in Rio it is a pretty chilly spring day now at 79 F, so presently I have none of that winter. My previous experiences to which I referred have been in places like Anchorage, AK and some similar locales in other countries. Public block heaters happen only in such places I suspect.

Problems, especially for such a watched car, always magnify themselves many times over on the internet. There have also been many user error or learning curve issues that are not problem of the car (being a gear head definitely helps). I was kind of the early adopter for Model S and Model X. I've have very few issues with my cars compares to German and Japanese cars I've owned before. That being said I don't live in a cold area so I have no idea what those cold weather related issues are.

If you can wait then wait.
I wanted the full federal tax credit, needed a car sooner than later and I chose to get one. I made the conscience decision to deal with some early bugs to get this car now vs when it was "safer". I love the car and personally have had no issues to speak of. But IMO Tesla will fix these issues and add features (heated steering wheel, automatic trunk, maybe auto frunk, AP3). I agree with the advice that if the buyer is going to be 100% critical and blame YOU when things are not perfect, I would not recommend getting first year build.

PS by NOT getting the car now you are driving in a less safe car, burning fossil fuels, frequenting gas stations, dealing with ICE drivetrains and NVH while you wait... . Just sayin'