Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for minimum PPF for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model X Plaid is a big enough purchase as it is, I'm trying to avoid having to spring for another few thousand to PPF the whole car. Would love recommendations on the minimum sections of the car to be protected. Thanks!
I did what my shop called "full frontal."
Full Frontal - Front Bumper, Full Fenders, Full Hood, Headlights, and Mirrors.

The PPF was $2,200, but I also, of course had the car wrapped, and ceramic coated. Also the front side windows tinted. Total was just over $9,000

That's a typical Tesla full front PPF install ($2000-2500), had the same plus extra on my 3. It's great not worrying you're gunna scratch anything with the PPF even for washes or quick wipe-downs, but there's some areas that are just overkill.

IMO for the X if you just did the front bumper that will cover the bulk of your worries. The rear painted bumper should also be a fairly cheap piece to add...this is what I'm considering for my soon to be X. Hood PPF is great on the Model 3 because its much lower, not sure how much damage/debris a typical X owner hood takes on the road.

Maybe $200 more to do the lights (headlights/fogs) as well which is well worth it considering how much they cost to replace if damaged by a rock. Model 3 headlights are like $1100 from Tesla, no idea what a new Matrix X headlight goes for.

That's a typical Tesla full front PPF install ($2000-2500), had the same plus extra on my 3. It's great not worrying you're gunna scratch anything with the PPF even for washes or quick wipe-downs, but there's some areas that are just overkill.

IMO for the X if you just did the front bumper that will cover the bulk of your worries. The rear painted bumper should also be a fairly cheap piece to add...this is what I'm considering for my soon to be X. Hood PPF is great on the Model 3 because its much lower, not sure how much damage/debris a typical X owner hood takes on the road.

Maybe $200 more to do the lights (headlights/fogs) as well which is well worth it considering how much they cost to replace if damaged by a rock. Model 3 headlights are like $1100 from Tesla, no idea what a new Matrix X headlight goes for.
Front hood & front end, side by the door and rear bumper. Might as get the whole car done at this point.

Front hood & front end, side by the door and rear bumper. Might as get the whole car done at this point.

Wrong, quote a few shops and you’ll see. Doors are very pricey pieces as is the A-pillar, front fenders, rear fenders, etc.

Most shops will give you an a la cart price list and ac slightly discounted full vehicle price. What you never want is partial panels like half hour or lower door’s because you’ll see the seem line and it tends to catch dirt, also more risk for lifting on an exposed edge.

This is why my initial recommendation was, “IMO for the X if you just did the front bumper that will cover the bulk of your worries.”

I did whole car because I wanted to go to "matte" look. $5,000 total with Suntek Ultra matte film.
Tinted the whole car except windshield using Xpel XR prime plus for $900 (including tax).
in Austin, TX area

That's a crazy low price for a reputable PPF shop in the North East.

Model 3/Y quotes are $5-6k easy. Not sure on an X, but guaranteed it'll be more.

As for tint, whole Model X including windshield? I got quoted $800 for the X windshield alone (its massive and requires a 60" roll) with a good ceramic film, +$200 for the front two windows.

Hi @Christopher Chan ,

You might look at Twraps.com
They have individual pieces.
The front bumper is a good piece.
They also have a front 1 foot of the hood.

This will provide minimal coverage but it will cover
the worst bug blasted or sand blasted surfaces...
The downside is they expect you to install them...
I had a local shop do it for me...

I would also recommend the Tesla brand mud flaps at $40.
They install with the black plastic push in rivets.
It is a 10 minute install and will keep the lower parts
of your doors from being blasted.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: Nikon201068

Model 3/Y quotes are $5-6k easy. Not sure on an X, but guaranteed it'll be more.

As for tint, whole Model X including windshield? I got quoted $800 for the X windshield alone (its massive and requires a 60" roll) with a good ceramic film, +$200 for the front two windows.
I got quoted 6k for expel stealth for the whole car. Model X.
Still looking for something a little cheaper here in NJ

yea, normal price would be $6-7k for Model X but according to the PPF shop (also reputable), someone had canceled at the last minute and they threw out a deal at me not knowing if I would take it or not. Of course, I took it. lol

No, the tint was for every single window in the entire car except for the windshield. Windshield alone was $1K. I wasn't going to pay $1K since in TX, there's so much rocks that get kicked up and I'm sure almost every person has suffered a cracked windshield at one point.

No, the tint was for every single window in the entire car except for the windshield. Windshield alone was $1K. I wasn't going to pay $1K since in TX, there's so much rocks that get kicked up and I'm sure almost every person has suffered a cracked windshield at one point.

Seems that tinting over late model Tesla's factory tinted glass is a huge waste of time and money.

Unless of course you need/want it darker than the approx. 15% factory VLT level. All you really need to do is the front doors and windshield on a current X for example.

Here's one about the the Model Y/3...and this is by a tint shop that takes money for tinting. ;)

Last edited:
I put zero PPF on our 2017 model S. 95k miles and it still looks pretty good.

There is one 1/4” scratch on a rear wheel well and a small amount of pitting on the hood.

I feel like I would have 0 return on PPF, except self satisfaction. Which does arguably have a good bit of value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melteye and ngng
Seems that tinting over late model Tesla's factory tinted glass is a huge waste of time and money.

Unless of course you need/want it darker than the approx. 15% factory VLT level. All you really need to do is the front doors and windshield on a current X for example.

Here's one about the the Model Y/3...and this is by a tint shop that takes money for tinting. ;)

Not sure because I didn't get tints right away (drove a month without any tints) and the back seat windows were burning hot to the touch in the 105F Texas heat weather. After tints, it's "warm" to touch so it did make a difference.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer