Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with Channel 6 ABC news station in Philadelphia. They are interested in possibly doing an interview with some of us going on this trip.
They are calling me back later this evening. It looks like they are interested in meeting up with us at the Wilmington, DE superchargers on Sat.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, it is incredibly amazing to see all the support from our Tesla colleagues from literally around the world.
Some of you are even offering financial support. Speaking for myself I am just thrilled to be able to help organize and participate in this event.
I'll gladly pay for my own costs just to show the world that the Tesla S is NOT just an "around town" toy and that it truly is the future.

Perhaps we can meet about noon in Wilmington, so those who want to replicate the entire experience can do so. It would be great to have a show of force from Wilmington to Milford. This is actually of huge value to me, as i'd would love to be able to get from Boston to DC without polluting, at lower cost, and not having to stop an those annoying NJTP 'service' statinos. I'm in if we can meet in Wilmington mid-day. Also, as suggested earlier - it would be good to have a con call at 9PM (moving back an hour from previous to ensure Aaron has time to participate).

Number is 712-432-3100 Passcode 594841 (this is free concall.com)

I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-Hannibal-Smith-A-team.jpg

I find it just surreal what Tesla customers do in order to defend and promote their products. Tesla really has to recognize that and preserve this relation as much as possible. Being the best electric vehicle on the market, any bad publicity for the Model S is bad not only for Tesla, but for electric cars in general. As an electric car enthusiast and admirer of Tesla technology, I believe it is very important what you are doing, teslaguy. Thank you for taking the time, have fun on your trip and be safe!

Just got off the phone with Channel 6 ABC news station in Philadelphia. They are interested in possibly doing an interview with some of us going on this trip.
They are calling me back later this evening. It looks like they are interested in meeting up with us at the Wilmington, DE superchargers on Sat.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, it is incredibly amazing to see all the support from our Tesla colleagues from literally around the world.
Some of you are even offering financial support. Speaking for myself I am just thrilled to be able to help organize and participate in this event.
I'll gladly pay for my own costs just to show the world that the Tesla S is NOT just an "around town" toy and that it truly is the future.

Perhaps we can meet about noon in Wilmington, so those who want to replicate the entire experience can do so. It would be great to have a show of force from Wilmington to Milford. This is actually of huge value to me, as i'd would love to be able to get from Boston to DC without polluting, at lower cost, and not having to stop an those annoying NJTP 'service' statinos. I'm in if we can meet in Wilmington mid-day. Also, as suggested earlier - it would be good to have a con call at 9PM (moving back an hour from previous to ensure Aaron has time to participate).

Number is 712-432-3100 Passcode 594841 (this is free concall.com)

Jack, All -

Everything sounds GREAT! I'll be on the conference call at 9pm (although I am home now and can talk anytime).

I personally would still like to do the entire trip from DC... Do you still want to do that Jack? I am located in Yonkers, so I can meet you as you pass by the area.

@teslaguy - the DC store said they have only 1 charger, but what if we bring our UMC's with us? Do they have any NEMA 14-50 outlets?

I can't wait for Ben to join in on this....! I hope he's coming too!

Aaron

PS to all - Anyone have contacts at Engadget, Gizmodo or AutoBlogGreen to let them know we are going to be doing this? If so, can someone spearhead getting these guys involved!

- - - Updated - - -

All -

Decided to call Julia @ Tesla DC to see what other charging options are available. She said there are 3 public charging stations in the garage as well as the Tesla HPWC - so at least 3 or 4 of us can add range. I have a single charger in my S so I really don't benefit that much from using the HPWC, so I'll stick with the public charger.

She said she can have a staff member available by 9:15-9:20 to let us into the garage (not a public garage). To accommodate those of us that want to do the full DC to CT trip, we will need to push back meeting at the DE Supercharger from 12 to about 2pm so we can add some range in DC.....

Aaron

Aaron - can't phyically make it to DC, have late client appointment up north - will be able to get to NY/PHI and meet up with teslaguy. Best is to synch at Wilmington mid-day - others can then choose full trip or Wilmington leg only.

Heading over to the natick store now. Looking forward to the 9PM call - you will lead.

@sayidreddy - We're having a conference call at 9pm - I'll post the details afterwards.

@Jack - Mid-day won't work to meet up at DE if some of us go to DC - 2pm would be better... Charge at the DC Tesla Store from 9:30-11:30am - that gives us 2-2.5 hours to make it up to DE.

I'm afraid I won't have time this weekend to join you all for the full trip, but would be happy to bring my week-old MSP along for half of the journey - perhaps from DC to Philly/NYC before turning around and heading back home. When and where do I join up?

@EKoS - Normally, the more the merrier -- it depends on how many people we get, since there are only 4 superchargers in DE. Where are you located?

A friend of mine suggested I go down to DC Friday night so I don't have to get up at 4am to make it to DC (and charge for an hour in DE on the way down) to make it to DC by 9:30am. I believe I saw a hotel in the DC area with a public charger, so I could charge overnight and be topped off in the morning....

More details after the conference call tonight! Anyone that wants to participate - even partially - join in!
Also - anyone that has posted here with connections to the media - please also join in!

712-432-3100 Passcode 594841

Aaron

Last edited:
I'm coming from downtown DC - will plan on meeting you all at the Rockville service center, and joining the caravan as far as Philly or (if I feel like pushing it) NYC before turning back. It'll be good to get everyone together in Wilmington, should be a great showing!

OK All following this thread --

We're on! There's a total of 6 of us with our cars making a partial or pretty much complete recreated trip!

3 of us are meeting up at the Tesla Service Center in Rockville, MD Saturday morning at 9am when they open. We'll spend 2 hours there adding some range - then head off to meet the other 3 at the DE Supercharger -- eta approximately 1-1:30pm Saturday. After we're all topped off in Range Mode we'll head off to the Milford, CT Supercharger. 3 of us will continue on on to Groton, CT and stay overnight and then back to the Milford supercharger the next morning.

Anyone who lives in the area that would like to meet up with us at Rockville, Wilmington, Milford or Groton - please join us to say hello!

Those that posted they had connections to the press/tv - please let them know what we're doing. You can PM me and I can give you my cell number so they can get in touch with me and possibly meet us!

I've reached out to PureAmps to see if he can get some of our cars tweeting for the trip! We're also hoping to get Tesla involved to capture some of our logs as well.

Aaron