Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant idea folks. Go go go go!

As was mentioned earlier in this thread - about the question of charging overnight: if you can find an outlet at the same hotel the NYTimes reporter stayed at, then yes absolutely you should plug in overnight. Doing so will really show how idiotic they were.

All -

So much activity! This is exciting. I am awaiting a hopeful response from Tesla to see if they want to participate in any way. If this weekend ends up being the best time to try this, I'll need to clear my Saturday morning first too - which shouldn't be a problem. Also need to call some hotels in Groton, CT to see if they have some outdoor 110v outlets we can use (and if we can use them).

We should probably start in DC. Those of us further north could leave early (very early) saturday morning, stop at the DE supercharger then make it to DC. We'd need to add some mileage at a public station in DC to "start" the trip back north and make it back to the supercharger and do a full Range Charge there. The key segment of the trip to focus on is Wilmington to Milford - using the original planned route of going over the GW bridge, cross bronx to 95 and up into CT (without the detour into manhattan). Google Maps shows this segment as 197 miles. Do another full Range Charge in Milford CT (if we have more than 2 people we can use both the northbound and southbound superchargers to charge 4 cars total). Make it up to Groton, stay overnight and drive back to the Milford supercharger. The NY Times reporter then drove to Manhattan and dropped the car off with Tesla there - so those of us that live in the area can just return home. Those that live back down south can prove the reverse route on their way home!

I've asked Ben if he'd like to participate and come down from Boston. He has some great contacts at Tesla - so perhaps he can get a response from them if they would like to participate -- Ben are you game for this weekend? A Livestream (if possible) would be pretty wild!

I know TeslaGuy (from Philly?) wants to join in - that makes three.... Do we have a fourth?

Aaron

Last edited:
All -

So much activity! This is exciting. I am awaiting a hopeful response from Tesla to see if they want to participate in any way. If this weekend ends up being the best time to try this, I'll need to clear my Saturday morning first too - which shouldn't be a problem. Also need to call some hotels in Groton, CT to see if they have some outdoor 110v outlets we can use (and if we can use them).

We should probably start in DC. Those of us further north could leave early (very early) saturday morning, stop at the DE supercharger then make it to DC. We'd need to add some mileage at a public station in DC to "start" the trip back north and make it back to the supercharger and do a full Range Charge there. The key segment of the trip to focus on is Wilmington to Milford - using the original planned route of going over the GW bridge, cross bronx to 95 and up into CT (without the detour into manhattan). Google Maps shows this segment as 197 miles. Do another full Range Charge in Milford CT (if we have more than 2 people we can use both the northbound and southbound superchargers to charge 4 cars total). Make it up to Groton, stay overnight and drive back to the Milford supercharger. The NY Times reporter then drove to Manhattan and dropped the car off with Tesla there - so those of us that live in the area can just return home. Those that live back down south can prove the reverse route on their way home!

I've asked Ben if he'd like to participate and come down from Boston. He has some great contacts at Tesla - so perhaps he can get a response from them if they would like to participate -- Ben are you game for this weekend? A Livestream (if possible) would be pretty wild!

I know TeslaGuy (from Philly?) wants to join in - that makes three.... Do we have a fourth?

Aaron

It's great you're doing this Aaron. If I had my car I'd be joining you for sure.

Aaron,

Thanks for initiating. I'd love to join if i can make my calendar work (likely) and if you still need a 4th. I can get down to DC from Boston very late Saturday. I'm exploring charging options in DC, where i have family. Please let me know if you still need a 4th - anything to support Tesla.

Jack

Aaron - my sister is in the legal department at Discovery Channel in DC, which owns among other things the History Channel. She asked for a brief note on what you're planning and would be willing to she if she can create some interest - please lmk. This would seem to be an historic event based on DC - so i hope we could generate some interest, even on short notice.

This is a great effort and I wish I could join you all but I am on the West Coast. However, I will help with publicity.

To get the greatest awareness, we should create a web site and email to all reporters and organizations that have covered this topic. I will see what I can do today. Can I get some volunteers to build a mailing list?

Also, someone should check with Tesla to get the exact route of the reporter to avoid differences.

I'm traveling today and have been in Cali for work so I haven't had any time to focus on this ... I'm home this evening ...
BTW for the Wash. DC charge, hook up with the Tesla store there and see if you can get a 70 amp charge there ...

All -

Thanks for this EXPLOSION of interest in recreating this trip! At first I *thought* interest may have been diminished since Elon posted that detailed log information on the Tesla site -- but I think it would still be a lot of fun to still prove it can be done!

I agree that *theoretically* we don't have to do the DC to DE Supercharger segment because that truly was never in doubt. Part of me wants to though -- critics may say we didn't create the trip completely. Thoughts guys?

@Jack - I'd love for you to join... But depending on timing for others, I'm guessing that people might only have free Saturday & Sunday - and if we start from DC late that means getting to Groton CT really late and I'd think we would want a full overnight of some cars unplugged to recreate. The temperature Sat night @ Groton is supposed to be 19 degrees.... Do you think theres any way you could get down there in the morning? I do like the idea of getting Discovery Networks involved!

@teslaguy - Thats a great idea! Some plug in at 110v and others don't...

@cinergi - Thats a great idea... we could all start from the Tesla DC location. Alas I don't have twin chargers, so I'll be maxing out at 40 amps...

Aaron

Several suggestions:

- we should arrange a con call among all those interested and anyone else who wants to join in - i'd be happy to supply a number on this forum, and turn it over to Aaron to lead the discussion

- we should have two classes of participants - a few who replicate the full NYT route, and a few who participate only in the Wilmington to Milford leg

- personally - i'd have to rearrange my social calendar for early Saturday - and would drive to Bryn Mawr to visit with my daughter Friday night and synch up at Wilmington - i'd most likely prefer to head back to Boston from Milford rather than heading to Groton

- I would really like to see this happen - even if i can only participate in a limited manner - i suggest a con call for 8PM tonight, and will post the number if there is interest

- what about passengers? Does that have a material impact on range? I'd like to bring my 13 year old son who is more of an enthusiast than most of us, and my wife who still brings along an air sick bag

Thanks again.

I don't have a Tesla yet, not even a reservation. But I am putting down my vote for you guys to pursue this. It's acts like this that will make Tesla the next great American car company we all want to see. A ground up movement.

Great stuff here guys!! I am so excited to see what happens!