Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passengers would decrease range but if you charge appropriately then it shouldn't matter. Would make the trip more enjoyable to bring family. Maybe someone can do the math on extra weight and the percent hit on range.

Looks like Elon/Tesla have CNN working on doing the same trip.

DCtoBoston1.png
DCtoBoston2.png

- - - Updated - - -

One journalist from CNN Money already on the way according to his Twitter feed

Side note, anyone know if a tweet can be embedded on this forum?

Damn why did I bother with pictures?!?!?

This has potential ... I can already see how in the year 2063 there will assemble ten thousand TESLA and other EV drivers to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the famous, notorious and legendary annual "Broder's Drive" by following his route and laughing at him ...:biggrin:

"Kids, back then in 2013 people actually belived that an EV could not make that drive in a day!" "Whaaat? No way dad, you are kidding me!"

Ok, I have 4 rooms reserved in Groton, Conn for Sat. night at the Best Western.
And they said they will make 110 outlets available for us to use overnight.
$152.95 + taxes is the AAA rate. They are reserved in my name right now.
I called Hilton Gardens and some others, but no or not enough rooms.
Rooms are going fast everywhere there for this weekend.
Marriott had some rooms but they started at $299 per night.
Aaron, do you have a list of who is going other than us? I know DigitalTim had expressed interest at one point.
Ben (Cinergi) from Boston might also be joining us?
Geez, get Models1079 (Jim) to join us and it would be almost like our trip from White plains to NYC for the Motor Trend event!

Even if CNN is doing it, it would probably mean more to possible purchasers of the vehicle saw that many Model S owners on their OWN accord and dollars did this same drive themselves. It would probably make the front of the Facebook page as well for Tesla if not make them feel really good.

Do it anyway guys! Wish I could contribute more then just cheers!

First post on this forum.

Do you folks think you will have enough energy margin on the critical leg to provide a minimum level of cabin temperature, perhaps 50 F + seat warming ? I am thinking that the NYT reporter's stated goal was to show the Model S can complete this route in winter conditions without extreme measures. 30 degree cabin temperatures might be considered extreme by many people, so higher temperature would send a better message. How cold will the weather by this weekend ?

CNBC West interested

I do not know if it is already in motion, but CNBC West interviewed Elon Musk on the day of his reaction and asked if they could be on the trip being organised. Maybe someone should give them a call. They seemed very interested (in a supportive way).

OMG

You guys are on the ball! I'm here working in Bridgeport checking back here every couple of hours and so much has happened!!!

@teslaguy - Haven't gotten *any* confirmations from anyone other than yourself... Ben (cinergi) won't be back online till tonight he said.

All - Those of you without Model S (yet) want to ride shotgun??

Aaron

First post on this forum.

Do you folks think you will have enough energy margin on the critical leg to provide a minimum level of cabin temperature, perhaps 50 F + seat warming ? I am thinking that the NYT reporter's stated goal was to show the Model S can complete this route in winter conditions without extreme measures. 30 degree cabin temperatures might be considered extreme by many people, so higher temperature would send a better message. How cold will the weather by this weekend ?

I would be surprised if they didn't. I am not on the east coast, but Minnesota has no superchargers and on average colder temps.
I typically keep the HVAC at 'min' which I believe is 66 degrees and use seat heaters. That has been plenty comfortable for me and my wife.

I talked to Julia at the DC store and she said they only have one charger there, but we're welcome to use it if it helps.
She loves the idea and wants to follow our journey via twitter if possible.
She also confirmed that Broder did NOT start his trip from the DC store. She said that she thinks he started from somewhere in northern Virginia or the Rockville, Md service center.
So, in the interest of making the logistics of this journey workable, while not detracting from the purpose of our goal, I suggest we all meet up, recharge and start our trip from the Wilmington, De superchargers.
We will all be coming from different locations and will all need to recharge in Wilmington, just as Broder did.
The real issues he encountered were from that location onward anyway.
This should make the trip much more manageable for anyone coming from NY or Mass also.