Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the dialog - i think this is the one takeaway from my road trip - this dialog needs to happen now and actions need to be taken today. I have no clue about implementation process and options, but feel pretty strongly about the customer and market requirement:

- The problem: you do not want to depend on a remote, slow, insecure, not-well-planned infrastructure that no one is accoutable for after driving 24 hours and making a judgement error about conditions and range when you have your family in the car

- The solution: A safe, secure, well-planned charging infrastructure that allows you to top-off if unplanned events happen - and this seems to be in existing public infrastruture in major roadside service plazas

- Correlary: I'd prefer not to plan my trips around stops in Milford CT and Wilmington - I want to charge where i'd normally sleep (mid-level hotels), eat (mid-town manhattan and not order 2 with rice or noodles in a truck stop), and otherwise be - i don't mind stopping for 15 to 30 minutes to top off if needed, as long as in in a safe, convenience place where someone is accoutable for the outcome.

Fair Mod warning, this is off topic and might want to be moved to another thread along with the OP by Jack.

Couple of quick options come to mind.

Direct investment - Maybe owners need to form co-ops, and pool capital to invest in infrastructure, with user fees to cover energy costs and fund new construction (Call it the Tesla Motors Club). I think Roadster owners might have done something similar, but there are now more Model S's being delivered every 6 weeks or so as there were Roadsters delivered in the entire history of that vehicle. Anyways, think of it as a new Chargepoint type system but with a focus on higher power chargers, and enabling long distance travel, to supplement the SuperCharger buildout.

Political/Lobbying - Most folks purchasing a Model S, or thinking of purchasing one, are going to be fairly well off. It would be fairly trivial to form a Model S Owners Super-Pac and lobby for additional infrastructure around the country. Or, as an alternative, partisan websites like Daily Kos or Redstate directly solicit contributions from their readers for individual politicians.

A Super-Pac allows for unlimited contributions if anyone is willing to devote substantial resources (I'm looking at you Elon), while the direct contribution method works best with lots of individual donors focusing their efforts with lots of smaller contributions.

Unconventional/Hybrid - Someone mentioned that they'd like to see a "McDonalds Like Entity" step up to the plate and commit to having charge stations at every franchise. You could employ a letter writing campaign, or merge it with the direct investment option, ie have a hypothetical Tesla Motors Club Co-op offer to fund a portion of the capital cost, while the "McDonalds Like Entity" provides matching funds in exchange for green washing, new business from EV drivers and taking a cut of the use fees.

Volt owner here...

Kudos to the group - someone needed to shut that dude up. Even though I don't have a Tesla (I'm thinking I will, after my Volt lease is up!), some of his statements even I saw as outrageous.

I'm still wondering about that 60mi range drop overnight - that calculates out to a vanished ~roughly 20kWh in 7-9hr time span!
And who on earth would take off on a 61mi drive, with only 32mi worth of "fuel?" I don't care if it's electricity, gas, diesel, hydrogen - could ne the Back to the future "Mr Fusion" for all I care - who in their right mind hits the road with 1/2 the fuel needed?

Anyways, with CNN doing it, and even a longer run, and now a group of Model S', it's plainly obvious that the car is MORE than capable. Apparently, the journalist wasn't.

Cheers, and good show guys!

Is it just me or did Lauren Goode's article not exactly praise their efforts. I got the distinct impression there was a negative tone to it?

I think the third paragraph might be worded better. It gives the impression that not every car could make the entire trip. The fact is that not every owner intended to make the entire trip.

It would be better to state that four cars made the trip, accompanied part way by five other Model S owners.

All four cars whose owners intended to drive the entire route did so.

Kudos to the group - someone needed to shut that dude up. Even though I don't have a Tesla (I'm thinking I will, after my Volt lease is up!), some of his statements even I saw as outrageous.
Cheers, and good show guys!
Agreed! Kudos! It's awesome see enthusiastic owners in a grassroots effort prove Broder wrong.

I really hope Joe Sixpack will hear of this trip and the CNN reporter's successful trip and not just Broder's crap. On the plus side (maybe), Tesla's been getting a lot of publicity because of this. Hopefully it's net positive.

Two comments:

1) what I find interesting is the ferocity of owners fighting for what is right. I thought there'd be like one or two people recreating this but wow - a whole group like that meeting and doing it together is just incredible. It's not like Tesla has to fight this battle alone. We're all in this together if we really want to change the future of the auto industry and that we do. So many doubters. I have many people questioning my purchase. I can't wait to take them for test drives. I think they are just very ignorant, stubborn, and VERY closed minded about EVs. Any explanation to them goes in one ear and out the other. Trying to explain to them that the Tesla Model S is the real deal and a game changer is like trying to play chess with a pigeon - it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory. I think they are the type that just needs to see it to believe it.

I know we all believe it as owners and we're all very smart people here. Our efforts , as small as they may be, will collectively change doubters minds one by one and each person that is converted will likely never go back to ICE again and they will also join the bandwagon of fun and have a domino effect with their families and friends. This effort here is exactly the type of thing that needs to happen for this new wave of the auto future to succeed.

And 2) you're also all very good at failing in photoshop .. so many jaggies lol you're Brodering the photoshop app by not reading the directions lol ;)

Agreed! Kudos! It's awesome see enthusiastic owners in a grassroots effort prove Broder wrong.

I really hope Joe Sixpack will hear of this trip and the CNN reporter's successful trip and not just Broder's crap. On the plus side (maybe), Tesla's been getting a lot of publicity because of this. Hopefully it's net positive.

I don't see how it could not be - when you look around and see the articles mentioning it (CNN, Examiner.com, etc...) they're all basically snickering at Broder.

If you notice, he hasn't said a PEEP online since Thursday - and neither has Maggie Sullivan, editor of NYTimes. They've all been completely, and utterly, silent on the subject.

You guys might be feeling just a small portion of what us Volt owners have been dealing with, in all the political grandstanding last year regarding the Volt. It was a constant fight w/people consistently lying.

As a fellow EV driver (I'm 98% electric, haven't burned a drop of gas since 12/21/2012 - http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/2171 - so I think I can say that!) I'm absolutely THRILLED you put that cat in his place, and was taking the fight to twitter in your support.

EXCELLENT show!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 cinergi

- - - Updated - - -

I encourage everyone to stay civil with respect to insulting or personalizing attacks against him. It degrades us as a respectful community (regardless of his actions).
SteveG3 and cinergi are right - i have no edit button - can a mod remove my "twit" reference above? I don't want to stoop down to that level, although that is VERY restrained considering what I REALLY think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I encourage everyone to stay civil with respect to insulting or personalizing attacks against him. It degrades us as a respectful community (regardless of his actions).

All respect, and thanks for your participation Ben. Truly.

I don't see a grey area between zero journalistic integrity, and pure stupidity. That's me putting it nicely. I think the Times owes Tesla, and it's readers an apology for either. I don't feel that this is coming given Ms. Sullivans latest blog entry. It clearly WAS NOT just an honest misunderstanding. Sorry, but I'm still a little angry. There's a fine line between telling the truth and name calling. It's relative.

I think Ben makes and important point and that we all need to take the high road whenever possible.

That said, a cause that we all deeply believe in and care about was slandered - slandered - in one of the most prominent and influential publications in the world. I have no idea - nor do i really care - whether it was mal-intent or just plain sloppiness, but we can not and have not stood idly by. The data here are unambigous - aren't there professional standards or anyone that cares enough about these standards at the NYT? Al is spot on - there should be a retraction and an apology to Tesla and the Tesla community. I think Ben's sage advise applies more so the NYT than our community.

I don't see a grey area between zero journalistic integrity, and pure stupidity. That's me putting it nicely. I think the Times owes Tesla, and it's readers an apology for either. I don't feel that this is coming given Ms. Sullivans latest blog entry. It clearly WAS NOT just an honest misunderstanding. Sorry, but I'm still a little angry. There's a fine line between telling the truth and name calling. It's relative.

Thanks Al. I'm sure we're on the same page -- I'm basically just saying there's a difference between saying "hey, I'm outraged" and "haha here's a picture of you in a urinal you $@#@" ...
No need to apologize for feeling angry.

I agree [thanks mods for clearing my statement]. Question: what latest blog entry are you referring to? All I see in Ms. Sullivan's blog is the one from 2/14, before the CNN and TMC roadtrips...

There's too many intentional things, in my opinion. I mean, he was TOLD to supercharge to 100%, and he left early, saying he had enough range for the next day. Well, if you THINK you know better, why are you ASKING Tesla how long to charge?
And if you are going to ignore their instructions, again, why are you calling?

On the overnight range loss... that one still blows my mind... that's like 20-22kWh of energy that just vanished!

And then taking off on a 61mi jaunt, with 32mi of "fuel.'

Oh, and let's not forget circling Milford station, "looking for the supercharger," and as our fearless group showed, it is RIGHT in your face as soon as you pull in!

Sorry - I'll pas on the "mistake card" and go straight to the "_________" card. (Trying to be civil, as requested.)

I think NYTimes owes Tesla quite a BIT more than just an apology, and I think it's not over - I think more people will do the drive, maybe more owners will do the drive, and it will make the NYTimes look worse and worse.
Only time will tell how this game plays out, but I see Tesla winning on all fronts - the media has been covering all the successful roadtrips, and it's damning evidence against the article.

Shark that's awesome (and tongue held is one thing, I totally understand the feelings). Let's hope the Margaret Sullivan has the same ability to call for retraction!

On that topic. As someone noted, we've not heard from Sullivan since Thursday. While her update itself on Thursday was not that encouraging, the fact that we've not heard more is. She closed by saying she hoped to update and conclude Friday. Her not having done so suggests she is being more open to Tesla's side of the story than the update Thursday would have suggested. Bear in mind, she'd not had a chance to sleep on Musk's data post when these comments were written.

link to her post from Thursday, has short update from later Thursday at bottom. one other note on this... NY Times has not added on any new comments from the public to her blog post since Friday afternoon.

Conflicting Assertions Over an Electric Car Test Drive The Public Editor - NYTimes.com

- - - Updated - - -

SteveG3 and cinergi are right - i have no edit button - can a mod remove my "twit" reference above? I don't want to stoop down to that level, although that is VERY restrained considering what I REALLY think :)

Shark that's awesome (and tongue held is one thing, I totally understand the feelings). Let's hope the Margaret Sullivan has the same ability to call for retraction!

On that topic. As someone noted, we've not heard from Sullivan since Thursday. While her update itself on Thursday was not that encouraging, the fact that we've not heard more is. She closed by saying she hoped to update and conclude Friday. Her not having done so suggests she is being more open to Tesla's side of the story than the update Thursday would have suggested. Bear in mind, she'd not had a chance to sleep on Musk's data post when these comments were written.

link to her post from Thursday, has short update from later Thursday at bottom. one other note on this... NY Times has not added on any new comments from the public to her blog post since Friday afternoon.

Conflicting Assertions Over an Electric Car Test Drive The Public Editor - NYTimes.com

Heh - did you read the comment about 5 down, "Engineer checking in," about a 100kWh battery needing 80A/240V circuit, and 400A service to the house?!?

This is the kind of junk we're constantly trying to get rid of... It's one thing to fight the haters, Big Oil, and Anti-EV crowd. It's a total other thing to fight those who THINK they know!

I have a BLiNK charger in my garage, on a 40A circuit (Volt only handles 3.3kWh/15A@240V) set to support up to 30A (switchable up to 40A @ 240V I think) 7.2kWh charging.
And my house only has 200A service, so I don't know what the "Engineer checking in" actually engineers... sure isn't electrical engineering, that's for sure.

Are ya still gonna let us use "Brodering" as a verb, though? Come on.... throw us a small bone...