Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light displayed as Green

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sitting at a red light the other evening facing east I glanced over and noticed the display was showing green. I looked up at the light and it was still red. The sun was at just the right angle to cause the other lights to appear illuminated. I quick snapped a picture of it. Interestingly the camera shows the green much brighter than how it appears to the eye when sitting in the car.. You can tell it’s red by looking at the shadow lines on the yellow and green, there is none on the red. Obviously this will only occur at a specific time with the right conditions.

On the flip side at a light on same road a few blocks up, when I was facing west and stopped at the light, the sun was blaring in and I had to put down the visor and kept looking under the visor to see if the light changed. I realized I could just use the screen to tell me when it changed. It showed green, I checked, it was green and away I went. I do not have the chime turned on, I get enough beeps from the car already without adding more.
IMG_4112.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't understand what you are saying about a failsafe.
From the positioning, it seems like both lights apply to the (single?) lane.
Lighting was similar on both, so I could see the NN thinking both were green.
My understanding for 'failsafe' is that
if the camera detect both 'red' and 'green', a 'failsafe' should show 'red'
and a message indicating that there is an abnormal situation.

It would be interesting to know if the camera detected 'green' alone or 'red' and 'green'?

- if the camera detected 'green' alone then displaying 'green' make sense, while not safe.
- if the camera detected 'red' and 'green' then displaying 'green' is dead wrong.

My understanding for 'failsafe' is that
if the camera detect both 'red' and 'green', a 'failsafe' should show 'red'
and a message indicating that there is an abnormal situation.

It would be interesting to know if the camera detected 'green' alone or 'red' and 'green'?

- if the camera detected 'green' alone then displaying 'green' make sense, while not safe.
- if the camera detected 'red' and 'green' then displaying 'green' is dead wrong.
Oh sure. In case this is the confusion: by both indicators I meant both of the two tri-color lights, not both as in red and green.

Interesting edge case, it does show the weakness of a pure camera solution. This is a tough problem to solve, and I wonder if in the future the bulbs that go into these lights could have some hardware upgrade to communicate with cars when obscured.

I have been thinking that as camera AP gets better and better, sympathetic hardware could be built into our world to make it even better.

For instance what if brake lights from nearby cars communicated short distances by a high frequency blink code? Traffic lights same theory, a specirfic blink means the green is about to go yellow, or the frequency may tell your car the number of seconds this particular yellow has left before red. Even just a simple backup IR light for situations like this.

Also, this is somewhat caused by the installer of those very tiny cowlings on the traffic light. Out here they use much larger cowlings that somewhat help with this, though somewhat reduce the viewing angle.

Attachments

• traffic light.jpg
    traffic light.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Interesting edge case, it does show the weakness of a pure camera solution. This is a tough problem to solve, and I wonder if in the future the bulbs that go into these lights could have some hardware upgrade to communicate with cars when obscured.

I have been thinking that as camera AP gets better and better, sympathetic hardware could be built into our world to make it even better.

For instance what if brake lights from nearby cars communicated short distances by a high frequency blink code? Traffic lights same theory, a specirfic blink means the green is about to go yellow, or the frequency may tell your car the number of seconds this particular yellow has left before red. Even just a simple backup IR light for situations like this.

Also, this is somewhat caused by the installer of those very tiny cowlings on the traffic light. Out here they use much larger cowlings that somewhat help with this, though somewhat reduce the viewing angle.
As they move to the new video vs still image approach, perhaps the car could look at the change in brightness and not just the current value.

Now you have to decide which traffic light is the correct one...

Traffic Light .jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Tron 3