Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, I'v seen several red MYs. I didn't realize how striking that color is on the MY. I could swear that it darkened/lightened and depth changed depending upon the lighting. This has me thinking of changing for custom order white to red. However, I still have bad memories of when my red Porsche 911 drew too much unwanted and negative attention.

UPDATE: EDD updated to 2/15 to 2/21

Got my VIN overnight (Austin). When I checked at 6 am there was no VIN. At 7 am VIN appeared online, and at 8 am Tesla texted me with my VIN (still no email). I was actually about to write that Tesla did not contact me about the VIN and then I got the text. So it definitely takes a few hours to get the notification about your VIN being assigned.

Red/black/5 seat coming from ATX -> BOS
Congratulations!

I always wanted Long Range Red / Black / 20 inch black induction wheels. But earlier IRS limit was 55k.

OD: 1/15 evening in Bay Area, CA
EDD : 2/8-2/24
VIN not assigned

With new MSRP cap limits by IRS, I found exact same config Long Range Red / Black with 20 inche wheels at nearest Tesla Dealer

I went there at 10 AM (opening time) I got the VIN assigned to my profile. Yeah....

Working on insurance and other details to proceed further.

Thanks IRS. Lol.

I am suspecting Tesla will increase price by this weekend for Model Y across all trims because they can sell any price under 80k now for Model Y.

Wow this is huge - I bet Tesla is going to start raising prices again. Getting the full $7500 on a Perf (or any Y) is slick, especially one decked out the way you want. Did the IRS listen to 'customer feedback' or did Ford and Chevy lobbyists complain that Tesla prices were too low and their cars wouldn't qualify without the increase... Mach E and the Lyriq are up to 80k too.

Lately, I'v seen several red MYs. I didn't realize how striking that color is on the MY. I could swear that it darkened/lightened and depth changed depending upon the lighting. This has me thinking of changing for custom order white to red. However, I still have bad memories of when my red Porsche 911 drew too much unwanted and negative attention.
My wife didn't care what color her car was - we went with white cause it was 'free'. We had a red loaner and both of us were like - wowza, that's good lookin'. So now we'll have red and white... maybe we'll get blue next in honor of the IRS.

Since going to get the Massachusetts state incentive this changes nothing for me and I still need to keep my car under $55k, so glad I ordered the one worth $54,950 or something like that... basic red Y.

The upgraded wheels look nice but less range makes it not worth it for me. Instead I'll just replace the wheel covers with black wheel covers. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this setup! Better range and cooler looking wheels and less $ = win.

I might have ordered a LR 3 instead of a Y if there were any long range 3s or being built, but this whole incentive/price drop thing made me re-evaluate which car I wanted and the more I think of it the more I like the extra room and hatch back in the Y. I am coming from a hatch back and I think I'd miss not having it. I think I'll even use camp mode and would definitely not do that in the model 3. But since I decided on the Y which has 30 miles or so less EPA range I definitely want to do everything I can to maximize the range of the Y.

I'm getting pretty exhausted constantly updating my spreadsheet and with all the recent order changes it's going to be a mess to keep track of from here on out. I've decided I'm just going to make it public domain and let everybody update their own data. As of now, the spreadsheet is public domain!

Last edited:
Reactions: monkft and mjfreudy
My wife didn't care what color her car was - we went with white cause it was 'free'. We had a red loaner and both of us were like - wowza, that's good lookin'. So now we'll have red and white... maybe we'll get blue next in honor of the IRS.
Lol. The same thing happened to me. Rented a red one and v evened said WOW, that looks good on you -- two months later order changed.

Reactions: mjfreudy

Got my VIN overnight (Austin). When I checked at 6 am there was no VIN. At 7 am VIN appeared online, and at 8 am Tesla texted me with my VIN (still no email). I was actually about to write that Tesla did not contact me about the VIN and then I got the text. So it definitely takes a few hours to get the notification about your VIN being assigned.

Congrats

Reactions: J-a-x

congrats

I am still waiting for mine to update, OD: 1/13, bay area

@Bbear any update for you?