Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red multi coat is now $2,500 - I would love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should bring back Signature Red, but only available on a fully loaded Model 3 Performance + for a limited time. Jack up the average MSRP and profits, with a color that’s probably easier to paint than Multicoat Red.

I agree somewhat, but I'd prefer they bring back the Signature Red for $1500 and keep MCR at $2500. IMHO, they should have no limits whatsoever and see how sales go. I would have *much* rather had Signature Red than MCR...which I'm patiently waiting for.:rolleyes:

Reactions: suwaneedad
I agree somewhat, but I'd prefer they bring back the Signature Red for $1500 and keep MCR at $2500. IMHO, they should have no limits whatsoever and see how sales go. I would have *much* rather had Signature Red than MCR...which I'm patiently waiting for.:rolleyes:

IMO you need limits or risk pissing off all the purchasers or S and X Signature series - some of Tesla’s earliest and strongest supporters.

Pissing me off. I was about to order a performance red model 3 yesterday. And I just got screwed on the last red increase on our Model 3 LR order... It went from $1500 to $2000 the day I ordered.

I guess I'm going to order black now. So, instead of getting $2000, they are getting $0, because they wanted $2500.

That makes sense to me. If people don’t shell out these crazy prices for paint they should lower them eventually.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I think this is just a way to decrease the complexity once again. If they up the price there will probably be less red ordered which is a time consuming multi coat. On the flip side if someone does order it they make good money on it.

Reactions: PeterK
Next...

Tesla raises the 19'' Sport Wheel from $1,500 to $2,000!!

We will get more :mad::mad::mad: reaction from customers.

"OMG, I was going to order it this weekend, and they raised it!! Bad Tesla! Too bad, I am going to get 18'' wheel and no $2,000 to you greedy Tesla!"

Sometimes, I don't know if Tesla is enjoying it. :rolleyes:

It sure bring a lot of buzz in media :D

Next...

Tesla raises the 19'' Sport Wheel from $1,500 to $2,000!!

We will get more :mad::mad::mad: reaction from customers.

"OMG, I was going to order it this weekend, and they raised it!! Bad Tesla! Too bad, I am going to get 18'' wheel and no $2,000 to you greedy Tesla!"

Sometimes, I don't know if Tesla is enjoying it. :rolleyes:

It sure bring a lot of buzz in media :D

Too many price changes up or down just pisses customers off. Think airline prices. They suck. Just keep things they way they are for some time...

Reactions: Big-T
Pissing me off. I was about to order a performance red model 3 yesterday. And I just got screwed on the last red increase on our Model 3 LR order... It went from $1500 to $2000 the day I ordered.

I guess I'm going to order black now. So, instead of getting $2000, they are getting $0, because they wanted $2500.

500 amounts to a less than 1% delta on car price over what you were willing to pay already. Aprox $8-$10 per month if financed.

I think you are seeing red.. and choosing black now.

Tesla might not see it also as losing 2000 if they just cut their expenses by 2000.

Plot twist is Tesla hopes you don’t order Red and slow down their record Q4. Grohmann machinery doesn’t work on Red, Silver or Obsidian Black. ;)

Just impartial advice on if in case you regret the move.

My wife asked me how much it cost to change to Red when I went to pick up my Black. Ouch!

Tesla needs to send me a rebate for my black choice. Or at least a signed Elon topless poster I feel jipped!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Consumers are extremely sensitive to pricing changes regardless of income background. Its not wise for Tesla to constantly make these little shifts because it really causes consumer resentment.

Yup as I mentioned I would have loved to understans the rationale when they were discussing this.

My observation of seeing the black hole effect is Red is costing Tesla more than $2000 in opportunity costs. They probably prefer no one orders red.

Brutal but that’s the only thing that makes sense.

Hope they raise it to $5000 so my Red Tesla will be more unique. :D

There’s going to be a lot of model 3’s out there soon....

I'm with you!! When I bought my BMW X4 2 years ago I had to pay around $2500 CAD for the black/blue metalic color I got, which also only came with the M performance upgrade package. So I'm already the type that picks the color that costs the most for that reason alone. I also don't find the price Tesla is charging (when I bought mine, or the new higher price) to be all THAT out of line with other premium car companies. I'll gladly pay a premium to have fewer cars that look like mine out there.

I wonder what Tesla’s move is here.. stop producing Red cars?

Or demand for Red paint is inelastic at $2000 so it goes to $2500?

AWD at 6K I can see people still biting regardless but a full $1000 cost over other paint options is puzzling to me.

I don’t question anything Tesla does that makes them money because they badly need it. Just wondering what their game plan is.

My Econ speciality was game theory and I am having a hard time seeing where Tesla is going!

View attachment 335330
I think the game plan is to squeeze as many buck as possible before the tax credit is phased out.