Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced options lose this S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla announced they were eliminating some options and they did....nice but not very important ones.
Then they announced elimination of the 75D.
The new lowest cost version--100D--cost $18K more.
I do not need 76 more miles of range....from 259 to 335....almost $250/mile of extra range.
Foolish and frankly not smart marketing.
I have enjoyed my 75D and when my lease is done I will be buying another brand....the Model 3's trunk is 50% smaller than the S.....deal breaker for my needs.
See ya!

upload_2019-1-16_11-5-9.png

There are lots of places E85 is $1.25/gal. It would be like GM advertising their cars lower than real price due to 'flex fuel savings'. they are much cheaper to drive than a model S in states with cheap ethanol and expensive electric.
To take the best case scenario (charge at home in CA during off peak and compare to CA gas prices) is disingenuous.

The price should be advertised accurately. Period.

Reactions: MIT_S60
There are lots of places E85 is $1.25/gal. It would be like GM advertising their cars lower than real price due to 'flex fuel savings'. they are much cheaper to drive than a model S in states with cheap ethanol and expensive electric.
To take the best case scenario (charge at home in CA during off peak and compare to CA gas prices) is disingenuous.

The price should be advertised accurately. Period.
I agree.
This whole thread went off the rails when I made the assertion that Mercedes offered their S series at prices comparable to the Model S.
Reduced options lose this S owner
We then went down a rabbit hole comparing prices with/without options and with/without incentives/savings.
However, that is all a diversion. I believe my original assertion is correct. Tesla offers Model S cars at about the same prices as Mercedes S series. The cheap S75D did not fit and has been cancelled. If you want a cheaper Tesla, buy a Model 3.

My guess is they will re-introduce a 220 mile Model S for around $70k, and then a 270 mile Model S for around $80k. Just a guess though.

I think the times of people paying 70K for 220 miles and Tesla quality are pretty much gone. I spent some time the other day testing a Q8 as a stand-in for the upcoming eTron (same electronics, nearly-identical interior, slightly smaller). If that's what $75K with full income tax credit buys you, then there's no way Tesla won't have to drastically adjust the pricing and range for both the S and the X.

The best scenario I see is Tesla clearing the remaining inventory and getting ready to push out a refreshed S, at the very least with just larger batteries. If they're not ready to do that, then there will be painful times ahead for the S and X later this year.