Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, so people that didn’t support you in buying EAP early and didn’t participate in being guinea pigs to the beta software get to enjoy the whole EAP + FSD package for 5k at the expense of people that were early adopters and spent time beta testing and providing feedback that now have to pay another 2 or 3k (delending oh who is to be believed) to get it? That makes no sense. I can accept the price drops in the cars price but this is starting to taste very sour. Early adopters lost car value and have to pay more for the same features. FSD should just be free for early EAP adopters as a thank you for supporting the program early.

Tesla had more than 24 hours to run these numbers and it really is a cluster! If the announcement was non EAP cars offered AP for $3K and FSD for $4K, that adds up to $7K. Current EAP owners offered FSD for $1K (must pay for new HW 3.0), that adds up to $6K. Doesn't screw the early adopters and still covers costs. ...

Reactions: Super Gizmo
Nothing as far as I'm aware. You still have to pay $3000 for full self driving. So basically The people who didn't buy EAP before this restructure can get full self driving for only $5k while those who did buy EAP have to spend an additional $3k. This price change is only rewarding to those who didnt buy EAP because in the end EAP owners still have to spend a total of $8k for full self driving...

Seriously!!!! That’s soooo messed up. It’s insult to injury and salt to the wound! What the hell?! So I gave tesla $5000 early for EAP and I get screwed once again!?

Wait, so people that didn’t support you and didn’t participate in being guinea get to enjoy the whole EAP + FSD package for 5k while people that were early adopters and spent time beta testing and providing feedback have to pay another 2 or 3k (delending oh who is to be believed) to get it?

Yes. Presumably you’ve received some value from EAP in the months/years since you bought it.

Have you received $0 in value from EAP in the months/years you’ve had it?

That’s not my point. It’s just fudged math. This whole thing is a none issue if you charge $8K for it. That’s the cost right now if you order a new Model 3. Instead, they think they are doing favors to current owners by only charging them $5K while forgetting that it’s simultaneously screwing existing current owners with EAP or FSD.

The solution here was very straight forward from the start. Just charge legacy owners with neither feature $8K and all is squared away.

Yes. Presumably you’ve received some value from EAP in the months/years since you bought it.

We are all enrolled in the School of Capitalism. But it seems like there are a lot of freshmen this year who don't understand the curriculum.

Is this the result of childhood competitions where everyone wins an award every time? I knew that would come back to bite us.;)

Elon is making some adjustments, I think the following is a fair compromise based on a $1K discount for a net $7K cost.

• For those that got EAP + FSD ($8K): a $1K refund or credit on a future purchase + invitation to Early Access Program (EAP)
  • For those that got EAP only ($5K): A $2,000 cost to get FSD
  • For those that did not have either at the onset, Option to get AP for $2K and add FSD for $5K
Allow additional compensation so previous EAP or EAP + FSD owners so they would spend a max of $7K. If EAP benefits are not carried forward, people could have the option to get a refund/credit to the lower tier AP.

We are all enrolled in the School of Capitalism. But it seems like there are a lot of freshmen this year who don't understand the curriculum.

Is this the result of childhood competitions where everyone wins an award every time? I knew that would come back to bite us.;)

I am astonished by the level of pearl clutching going on here over the last day and a half. It’s ridiculous. EVERYONE thinks they’re owed something for free or next to nothing.

This is becoming like a Kickstarter. Pay ahead of time for really great features, delay, delay, delay. Eventually arrives, or pay more for something better. :D

Yes, technically, but poster suggested it is just a software update, plus the entire fleet of cars has HW2.5, so it will require retrofit.
Tweet from Elon

"It’s not exactly symmetric, but it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term"

So looks like HW3 confirmed as part of the upgrade

Elon is making some adjustments, I think the following is a fair compromise based on a $1K discount for a net $7K cost.

• For those that got EAP + FSD ($8K): a $1K refund or credit on a future purchase + invitation to Early Access Program (EAP)
  • For those that did not have either at the onset, Option to get AP for $2K and add FSD for $5K
Allow additional compensation so previous EAP or EAP + FSD owners so they would spend a max of $7K. If EAP benefits are not carried forward, people could have the option to get a refund/credit to the lower tier AP.

If that means someone that bought it today for 3k, looking forward to my refund and early access :D

You mean $2k more for a FSD promise some time i the future, perhaps. Why would anyone even pay $500 for the silly added features that are not here now and a promise for something that may never happen. Does anyone not see that by the time this may even be possible it will be so far down the line that they will be offering it dirt cheap? I can't believe anyone paid for FSD at purchase let alone $3K now. Hey Cool Aide!